Thread: Conor Macgregor?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Conor Macgregor?

Did anybody watch? I never want anybody to go through that, but if anybody deserves it… I have said for quite some time that Conor’s mouth has kept him relevant far longer than his ability has.

It does bring up an interesting conundrum though. We are starting to see these kinds of injuries more frequently in MMA. I am wondering what kinds of rules might be examined to try to solve it. Remember boys; don’t skip leg day…

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Conor Macgregor?

He's done. You don't come back from that... just look at Anderson Silva.

Hell, I would argue he was already done even before last night. He should take advantage of what is left of his notoriety to cash in on safer "circus" fights like Mayweather's doing. Or maybe go to WWE.

Dobber Sports Titan

He's great for the sport, so if he can get back he'll get fights. Everyone wants to watch his fights, especially a "comeback" fight.

I bet he comes back and is on TV fighting somehow.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    He's great for the sport, so if he can get back he'll get fights. Everyone wants to watch his fights, especially a "comeback" fight.

I bet he comes back and is on TV fighting somehow.
    10000000%. These guys don't miss paydays.

Dobber Sports Ninja

They will Weekend with Bernie his body to squeeze as much revenue out of him as possible. Dana and the UFC don't care about actual human and beings and health, only profit.

Dobber Sports Genius

Dana has already stated that there will be a match for him when he returns. Possibly a warm up with a stiff that only knows stand up then either Diaz 3 or Poirer 4. Macgregor deserves every bad turn come his way because when he feels his star is diminishing, his insults get very personal and childish. He was telling Poirer that he’d kill him and that he’d put him in a stretcher, well karma is a bitch ain’t it Mac.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm not a fan of the trash talk. Give me the classy GSP any day over McGregor's overt attempts to hype his fights. That said, it seems to work because most people (me included, sigh) will tune in to watch the spectacle. I would have preferred a different ending that what occurred on Sat night - I feel like McGregor would have struggled to beat Poirier, but still wanted to see 4 more rounds of elite level fighting from these guys.

Hilarious though that the guy thinks he can unironically trash talk/threaten while being carted out of the octagon on a stretcher, lol!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I'm not a fan of the trash talk. Give me the classy GSP any day over McGregor's overt attempts to hype his fights. That said, it seems to work because most people (me included, sigh) will tune in to watch the spectacle. I would have preferred a different ending that what occurred on Sat night - I feel like McGregor would have struggled to beat Poirier, but still wanted to see 4 more rounds of elite level fighting from these guys.

Hilarious though that the guy thinks he can unironically trash talk/threaten while being carted out of the octagon on a stretcher, lol!
    Could not agree more. The dude is getting splinted against the cage and shit-talking Poirier’s wife. He gets out of surgery and immediately starts shit-talking on Twitter. Seriously man. You broke your leg stepping back. You have lost 3 out of your last 4 matches. And all through the whole thing, you can’t stop shit-talking? Give me a break…

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    II feel like McGregor would have struggled to beat Poirier, but still wanted to see 4 more rounds of elite level fighting from these guys.
    The way McGregor was getting obliterated in that first round, he wouldn't have survived round 2.

Poirier is in another league. McGregor is just an average fighter now and clearly on the downward trajectory.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    The way McGregor was getting obliterated in that first round, he wouldn't have survived round 2.

Poirier is in another league. McGregor is just an average fighter now and clearly on the downward trajectory.
    Yes, he seems to think that his name alone will do the fighting for him. His cardio is terrible, he has no ground game, his left isn't as mysterious as it once was and (most importantly) it looks as if he's surrounded by yes men teaching him nothing. He hasn't evolved in MMA as someone like Poirer has. He's a big $ sign for Dana and as long as he runs his mouth and makes money, he'll have a place in the UFC.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent