Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cole Caufield ceiling?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Cole Caufield ceiling?

I think the hype on Caufield makes him a great sell high option. If MTkachuck is attainable with Cole, then I'd take it. That's not to say Caufield won't be a fine player, however, 60-70 pts is where I see Caufield being and that is what Tkachuck already is and Matt covers other stats.
    12 team pts league. G(1pt), A(1pt), PPP(1pt), SHP(1pt), GWG(1pt), W(3pts), SO(2pts)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4F, 4D, 2G, 4Bench, 2IR
    Keep any 5 max 3 years

C - McDavid, Backstrom, Tavares, Couturier, Trochek
    RW - Pavelski, Fiala, E. Lindholm
    LW - Landeskog, Palat, E. Kane, Robertson
    D - Hedman, Yandle, Fox, Provorov
    G - Lehner, Rask, MAF, Talbot

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
    I think the hype on Caufield makes him a great sell high option. If MTkachuck is attainable with Cole, then I'd take it. That's not to say Caufield won't be a fine player, however, 60-70 pts is where I see Caufield being and that is what Tkachuck already is and Matt covers other stats.
    This.

Imagine, if Toronto hadn't committed one of the all-time biggest choke jobs, no one would be talking about CC, and he definitely wouldn't be able to fetch Tkachuk in a trade. If I owned CC, I would definitely trade him for Tkachuk, if given the chance.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Right- that’s why I said things have to break right in Montreal for him to reach his ceiling. Obviously, linemates and usage affect a player’s output. If I had to predict Caufield’s production I would say 65-70 pts. And who knows- maybe Suzuki takes a couple steps becoming a star and he pairs with Caufield to make an elite top line. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens.
    So you said what I said in different words. WHY I OUTTAGH....

Hug you for seeing it my way...
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Cole Caufield also gets more traction than your usual top-end prospect does. For the love of hockey Gods, he gets more discussion this past year alone over the last two 1st overall prospects because he's a No. 1 prospect on arguably one of the biggest Canadian clubs. The other being Toronto, the only difference is Toronto is rich in top-end talent, and Cole is the biggest prospect the Canadiens have had since Carey Price, and I would even go as far to say he gets more traction than him, due to his goal scoring prowess. Last time the Canadians had anything of a big goal scorer, in the way of a 50 goal man, was over 30 years ago! Mtl has had Vezina winning goalies. A plethora in the past 3 decades. By a plethora, I mean three, but how many teams can say that? Not many.

You want to know the last big Canadien who hit 50 was? Or anything above 45, heck, maybe even 40...

DING DING DING!

Stephan Richer, 51 goals! That was 31 years ago! 31 FREAKY DEAKY YEARS AGO! The last 40 goal scorer I believe was Brian Bellows in 1992/93 in the league's most offensive year, when everyone and their mother had a 100 point season that year, and he hit exactly that, 40. So it comes to no surprise why Montreal, the media, and its fans are freaking out!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Scratch that, 1993/94 was the last 40 goal Hab.... Vinnie Damphousse! Either way, you get my point.

Pacman/Patches (whatever his nickname is now) is the closest they have had to a big goal scorer like that. Cole is more exciting because of the records he broke and how exciting he is to watch. Give him an elite set up man and he hits 50. Unfortunately they don't have that in Montreal.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    So you said what I said in different words. WHY I OUTTAGH...

Hug you for seeing it my way...
    Lol- we did say basically the same thing. Well I agree with you.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Lol- we did say basically the same thing. Well I agree with you.
    Because you're smart!

hehe

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think problem is that he jumped onto the scene in playoffs and habs mad it to the final…now his hype is at top..I know few gems who value him over lafreniere now…we need to wait at least halfway through next season to be more objective on this IMO.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    I think problem is that he jumped onto the scene in playoffs and habs mad it to the final…now his hype is at top..I know few gems who value him over lafreniere now…we need to wait at least halfway through next season to be more objective on this IMO.
    Nah, he was blowing up all season long (both on the ice and attention he was getting from media and fans) way before the playoffs began, and even pre Draft. His Draft+1 didn't have much traction beyond a hot start, 12 goals in his first 18 college games, because he soured over many fans with his World Junior performance (based on poor asset management), then following his next 18 freshman games with 7 goals. Partly why he didn't sign to a pro contract in that off season, even though it was "his choice to make....ish." Ish on the side of caution as Marc Bergevin pressed the idea of having Cole play out his Draft+2 year in college, because he wasn't 100 percent ready. Good call, really. So while it was viewed as Cole's call, it really wasn't.

Fast forward to this year and he exploded with 30 goals in 31 games as a sophomore, seeing lengthy periods of the time on a line with his brother Brock Caufield, a 13th forward all of last season who scored a whopping 4 points, and fellow Habs prospect Jack Gorniak, a 4th liner who scored 7 points in 29 games. Take into account he didn't get much 5-on-5 time with Dylan Holloway, and you can see why he was talked about heavily well ahead of these playoffs.

Also, this is the Habs biggest prospect with such an exciting offensive game (in both the eye-test and stats side of things), that it makes it easier for both fans and the media to get behind the kid. But yeah, when you're already producing at a better point-per-game clip than the last two 1st overall picks in just your rookie season, playing for one of the biggest and most storied franchises, a Canadian market, and arguably the largest right up there with Toronto, it shouldn't come to a surprise why he's getting more traction than the two highly regarded 1st overall picks, that are playing in a weaker market, (well in the case of New Jersey), and concerning the Rangers, it's just the fact that the team and its stars production have outshone an otherwise disappointing rookie year by the most talked about 1 OA pick since Connor McDavid.

So while Caufield's upside may not be better than both those players (who's names I don't need to bring up as we all know who I am talking about), it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could end up being just as good as the one who went 1st overall in 2019. I am saying could. Not saying will. It's still my belief that the Ranger will be as advertised. Not all superstars start off the same. Jumbo Joe had 7 points in his rookie year, and many probably thought he would bust. Several years later and he has 125 and 114 point seasons respectively.

I guess I can see why the hype is there. Heck, even Dobber is on board. With all the talk of Caufield on the mainpage, you would think the hockey universe consists of Cole Caufield, and only Cole Caufield. Like we get it. :P

Dobber Sports Wizard

Crazy hype on crack here….….u just put mcjesus and CC in same post!

he is half a size and at best half a player of mcjesus lol

Dobber Sports Initiate

Crazy hype on crack here….….u just put mcjesus and CC in same post!

he is half a size and at best half a player of mcjesus lol
    Then you clearly didn't read my post. Never did I compare him to McDavid, I said he has produced at a better points-per-game thus far, than the other two 1st overall picks and one was the most talked about prospect since McDavid. Just facts, regardless of sample sizes.

Nor, do I think he'll be better than Alexis and the verdict is out on whether he can even be better than Hughes. But go on make a narrative that best suits your needs to be right on this.

btw Speaking of being right, perhaps you want to aim that hype train to dobber's site, look who's face made it in the top story two-times in a row. I think we're being trolled now. haha

Also, I am not disagreeing with you, as much as he's my favourite prospect, he's far too hyped up. I was just explaining why he is being as hyped as he is.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I did read your previous comment and this one carefully but not sure you read mine.

never said u compared the two…just said they are mentioned in same post.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I did read your previous comment and this one carefully but not sure you read mine.

never said u compared the two…just said they are mentioned in same post.
    Yes, so ... context. Why did you go there then? Because I gave the reasons why I put McDavid in there, because, well, context. We actually agree for the most part. He was talked more than any prospect, even top prospects that IMO are better. Just saying why the hype train is so hyped. Regardless if he ever becomes a star/superstar or not, it's understandable. Wasn't Bryan Fogarty of the Nordiques hyped up too? I am not that old. I just know some saw him as the second coming of Bobby Orr!

But I agree with you, this Cole Caufield madness is getting out of hand. I think Cole Perfetti as an example will be a better player of the two midget Coles and he gets very little traction based on 1) being in a smaller market and 2) player hasn't demolished records like the other because that USDP is relatively new compared to the CHL and thus you can argue the quality between the two, and 3) The Jets are stacked in high-end talent, so both team, media, and fans are like, we're used to this sort of thing. Where as Montreal hasn't had a top-end shooter like this kid. He's the sexy player. Goal scorers are adored.

But at this rate he better become a 50 goal scorer or be a very exciting player to watch and get 35-40 goals a season to warrant this kind of attention. So I believe we're on the same page, somewhat. Somewhat, because I think he can pull off the latter. 50 goals is a big ask. haha

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    This.

Imagine, if Toronto hadn't committed one of the all-time biggest choke jobs, no one would be talking about CC, and he definitely wouldn't be able to fetch Tkachuk in a trade. If I owned CC, I would definitely trade him for Tkachuk, if given the chance.
    I completely agree. CC is the flavor of the month right now and owners should look to see if someone will overpay for him. I see Dobber now ranks Caufield over Zegras. I take Zegras any day of the week over Caufield. I really like Caufield but I love Zegras. Maybe someone does something silly and prefers CC over one of the Hughes brothers (not Luke).
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Initiate

*shakes head*