Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Vasilevskiy have a cliff upcoming?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Does Vasilevskiy have a cliff upcoming?

Hey All,

So after his peak Playoff MVP Performance; it has me thinking about Vasilevskiy and maybe a potential, Sell as High as he has ever been.

Maybe in my limited Keeper, I can look at swapping Vasilevskiy for a Matthews, or a Rantanen, or some other top 10 talent (Being that he is one himself).

In order to do this though, I would have to be under the impression that he will have a cliff upcoming and will regress back into the pack of other elite goalies.

So with that said; and looking at Tampa's salary cap issues; they definitely will not be the same team next season, or rather, have anywhere close to the depth they had this year. Having won back to back cups also maybe takes some air out of the tires... so... does anyone see Vasilevskiy having another Vezina caliber season next season, or is there a cliff approaching, and this is the ultimate time to sell high?

Thoughts? Am I the crazy one thinking there is an approaching cliff for him?
    Cheers!
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Default Re: Does Vasilevskiy have a cliff upcoming?

I'll say that he will hit a cliff, in that his numbers will decline slightly over the next couple of years, but I still think he's pretty much a lock to be a top 5, if not top 3 goalie in the league for years to come. He's still so young and even if he does hit a bit of a cliff over the next couple of years, could see him jumping back up to the very top just as easily.

Not often do many goalies come with his level of skill, athleticism and drive. I can't comment as I never saw the man play, but there have been comparisons of him to Tretiak in just how dominant he can be.
    In your case, unless you're getting a McDavid back, or a top end player and a really good goalie back, I don't see it making sense for you as your other goalie is Anderson, with a 10 team league and playing 2 goalies, especially H2H, losing Vasi (unless the return is godlike) I see hurting your team more then helping.
    12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov

Dobber Sports Monster

Yes if you can convert him into a stud like the ones you mentioned that seems like a good sell high. Vasilevskiy should be a great own for a long time but he may never have this much value again. Certainly not the worst idea to cash in on a goalie rather than wait until they hit a ditch and ship them away for much less, if not just discard them.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Veteran

Make sure to get one of the young stud G in return, plus a great forward like you listed. If you aren't getting a replacement G with similar potential ​to what Vasi is then I wouldnt do it.

Dobber Sports Sage

He's still young, I don't a cliff in the near future.
    Sure TBL will lose a couple players, but will also gain Kucherov. (All this bearing any long term injuries). They won't be the playoff dominate TBL, but more in line as to what they did during the regular season.

I'd evaluate on that. If someone thinks he's worth more than that, then you have an opportunity to sell high.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Administrator

He's a goalie so probably

Don't settle for the best thing offered to you though. Go out of your way and make sure you're actually selling high. I've seen too many instances where someone has their mind set on selling high and they end up selling low just to get a deal done.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    He's a goalie so probably

Don't settle for the best thing offered to you though. Go out of your way and make sure you're actually selling high. I've seen too many instances where someone has their mind set on selling high and they end up selling low just to get a deal done.
    This is very good advice. I will just add that while Vasi is a goalie, he has been the only one on the face of the planet that has been consistently excellent for the last 4 years and there are no indications whatsoever, other than he is a goalie, that he's approaching a cliff. If you move him, you make a killing, cause you don't need to move him.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    This is very good advice. I will just add that while Vasi is a goalie, he has been the only one on the face of the planet that has been consistently excellent for the last 4 years and there are no indications whatsoever, other than he is a goalie, that he's approaching a cliff.
    2nd this.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Genius

I don’t see a cliff anytime soon. You are dealing one of if not the best at his position, so if you do it, you do it to improve your team with studs up front and/or on the blue line. If you don’t get that type of value I would hold onto him. He’s still going to be solid with Cooper at coach, Hedman and Sergachev defending. Plenty of high end talent to keep the Bolts contending which all helps Vas.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    I don’t see a cliff anytime soon. You are dealing one of if not the best at his position, so if you do it, you do it to improve your team with studs up front and/or on the blue line. If you don’t get that type of value I would hold onto him. He’s still going to be solid with Cooper at coach, Hedman and Sergachev defending. Plenty of high end talent to keep the Bolts contending which all helps Vas.
    I agree with this. I don't see him slipping anytime soon and he's going to be very hard to replace.

It's always easier to find the stud forward. It's a lot harder to find and acquire stud goalies.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

I looked at the top 300 keeper list from top to bottom to see at what point I definitely wouldnt trade Vasi for that player straight up assuming goalie categories are relatively important in my league

Vasi is 26 and has had 4 dominant seasons in a row. hedman, mcdonagh, sergachev will all be on the team for the forseeable future not to mention great 2-way centres in point cirelli

1. Mcjesus yes
    2. drai yes
    3. kucherov yes
    4. mackinnon yes
    5. matthews yes
    6. pastrnak hmmmm
    7. panarin hmmm i dont think so....
    8. marner ehhhh hmmmmm no?
    9. marchand nope
    10. pkane nope
    11. rantanen probably nope
    12. huberdeau nope
    13. scheifele nope
    14. barkov nope
    15. eichel hell the eff no

if i can get a top 5 asset for vasi i would do it. otherwise keep him, in 4 years hes only 30 lol
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Initiate

OMG! A cliff, is it a big one and will there be treacherous waters and gnarly man eating sharks down below? btw A big misconception btw (Damn you Jaws!!!), but go with me on this one.

Also a side fact and some trivia, Jaws was actually based on a novel that was based on a true story about some bull sharks up in New Jersey shore area that attacked and killed 4 people, including a 10-year-old boy. Also, a thing to note, bull sharks can survive in fresh water for long periods of time. Fun times eh.

What does this have to about Vasi? Absolutely nothing! And you're welcome!
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Initiate

But seriously, unless you're a non contender and rebuilding, and even then I question why you would move on from this goaltender right now. Isn't he only like 27?
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Thanks All for the Feedback!

I really only saw myself trading Vasilevskiy if it was for a top 5 player, or maybe packaging him with Ehlers to grab 2 players more ranking in the low 10's / high teens. But really, I'm not going to shop him around, but rather would be open to the right offer.

It mostly just comes down to, this is the ultimate sell high moment. I do not think his stock will get any higher than it is right at this moment.
    But there should also be something said about riding a player of this caliber while the going is as good as it is.

Thanks for the Input All!
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Not only are they back to back champs - but they did it in the shortest period between Cups.

A playoff Season - a 60 game season and another playoff season jam packed into one calendar year - August 2020 - July 2021.
    And with the 2021-22 season expected to start almost close to normal..

I expect all Lightning players drop off a cliff next season. That is simply a lot of hockey in a short period of time.

So yes - I would move Vas for one of those stud forwards right now if you could.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​