Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JRobertson, Caufield or Verhaeghe - Pts only

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default JRobertson, Caufield or Verhaeghe - Pts only

I am looking for overall potential but also most likely to reach said potential. Points only league - G=1 A=1

How would you rank:

Cole Caufield
    Jason Robertson
    Carter Verhaeghe
    Anyone from the 2021 draft class

Thanks very much! Will REP were I can.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: JRobertson, Caufield or Verhaeghe - Pts only

Robertson
    Caufield

Verhaeghe

Tough to know exactly where to toss the 2021 class into this as we don't know your league size, what positions you roster, etc. If I was going to grab a 2021 guy it would be Eklund knowing that he's not outproducing any of these guys for a few years, and that even at his peak he likely won't be quite at the level of Caufield or Robertson.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Robertson/Caufield - Pretty much a toss up for me, I like them both.

Verhaeghe - Had a hell of a year but I just don't consider him to be in the same tier as Robertson and Caulfield

I agree with Eskimo, the class of 21 is hard to get a read on, but the cream is not going to rise to the top there for a few years and I'm not sure at all that the talent level approaches that of either Robertson or Caulfield.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports All-Star

JRob
    CC
    2021/CV

I'm sure someone may (in a few years) surpass CV in realized potential but for overall points I like JRob. Good luck
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Star

Robertson
    Caufield

Dylan Guenther (long term, of course)
    Carter Verhaeghe
    Everyone else in the 2021 class

Dobber Sports Ace

Robertson - Has proven the most. Looks to be a huge piece of the Stars’ future.
    Caufield - Has had a great showing so far. Looks deadly with Suzuki. Will be the trigger man on the PP for many years. Also has shown he’s a better play maker than most were giving him credit for.

CV/2021 draft - I am not a believer in CV being a star now, so he’s last. I put the draft class last with him because there’s no way of knowing right now where these guys will end up, and due to Covid, the scouting in the last year has been difficult. They could (and some should) get past CV eventually.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Sage

Trade them all for Connor Bedard.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Initiate

Call me crazy but Carter Verhaeghe will be a 75+ point player this upcoming season over 82 games. He already had 69 points prorated over 82 games this past season. He didn't get PP1 time until the very end. 33 of his 36 points in 43 games came on even strength, which is a very glowing sign. Imagine with added power play production, what that looks like. An addition to that glowing sign was his best game of the season, where he scored a hat trick and 4 points without Aleksander Barkov in the line up. The second of his career. He's going to start this Fall lined up with Barkov and be on the PP1 with Jonathan Huberdeau and Barkov.

While he may not have the sexiness of a mid-1st round label like Cole Caufield or the great Draft numbers of a Jason Robertson, he is a late bloomer that had two 82 point seasons, leading an otherwise mediocre-to-average IceDogs team in scoring both seasons. He is a late bloomer, but he's developed extremely well, and his trend of producing has gone up every year, even leading the AHL in scoring, after spending bouts of seasons in the ECHL. Because he doesn't come with the prettiest road travelled, it's still has been a positive one that has shown lots of promise. His advanced numbers and metrics tell you he's a producer and a driver. He can create plays of his own. There is a very smart heady player, who honestly improves players around him, as he improves with better talent. Thus when given a chance to succeed in Tampa, we saw flashes of that brilliance, highlighted by two 3 point games, and his first NHL hatty. Fast forward to the Panthers this year and he has since found instant chemistry with Barkov. So much so, Joel Quenneville separated Sasha from Huberdeau. He now has two scoring lines with the addition of Carter, and the beauty of it all is he's 25! He also is good at picking players pockets. He is the real deal and should be treated accordingly.

I can explain how good he is, but I'll let these articles explain it... notice how every article brings up his CF...

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/20...he/c-325460954

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...-away-too-soon

https://thehockeywriters.com/tampa-b...ter-verhaeghe/

While the other two seemingly may have better upside, I don't think one should discount Verhaeghe's, as he is certainly not that far behind either one. His skillset and IQ is built for today's NHL, and he's in a better situation to succeed. His PP mins have gone up every quarter, from 1 min to 3 mins from quarter 1 to quarter 4. I believe his ES production remains the same, with increased playing time on the top PP unit... It's not far fetched to believe he can top out at nearly a point-per-game. There is a damn good player there and he's finally given a chance to show the world.

Short term, it's Swaggy (that's Verhaeghe for not-in-the-know, now-in-the-know), and long term in a points only league it's Jason Robertson, and for a goal heavy league, it's Cole Caufield.

I am Carter Verhaeghe's dad, signing off.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    Call me crazy but Carter Verhaeghe will be a 75+ point player this upcoming season over 82 games. He already had 69 points prorated over 82 games. He didn't get PP1 time until the very end. 33 of his 36 points in 43 games came on ES, which is a very glowing sign. He scored a hat trick and 4 points without Aleksander Barkov in the lineup. The second of his career. He's going to be with Barkov for the entire season and be on the PP1 with Huberdeau and Barkov.

While may not have the sexiness of a mid-1st round label like Cole Caufield or the great Draft numbers of a Nick Robertson, he is a late bloomer that had two 82 point seasons, leading an otherwise mediocre-to-average IceDogs team in scoring both seasons. He is a late bloomer, but he's developed extremely well, and his trend of producing has gone up every year, even leading the AHL in scoring, after spending bouts of seasons in the ECHL. Because he doesn't come with the prettiest road travelled, it's still has been a positive one that has shown lots of promise. His advanced numbers and metrics tell you he's a producer and a driver. He can create plays of his own. There is a very smart heady player, who honestly improves players around him, as he improves with better talent. Thus when given a chance to succeed in Tampa, we saw flashes of that brilliance, highlighted by two 3 point games, and a his first NHL hatty. Fast forward to the Panthers this year and he has since found instant chemistry with Barkov. So much so, Quenneville separated Sasha from Hubderdeau. He now has two scoring lines with the addition of Carter, and the beauty of it all is he's 25! He also is good at picking players pockets. He is the real deal and should be treated accordingly.

I can explain how good he is, but I'll let these articles explain it... notice how every article brings up his CF...

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...-away-too-soon

https://thehockeywriters.com/tampa-b...ter-verhaeghe/

While the other two seemingly may have better upside, I don't think one should discount Verhaeghe's, as he is certainly not that far behind either one. His skillset and IQ is built for today's NHL, and he's in a better situation to succeed. His PP mins have gone up every quarter, from 1 min to 3 mins from quarter 1 to quarter 4. I believe his ES production remains the same, with increased playing time on the top PP unit... It's not far fetched to believe he can top out at nearly a point-per-game. There is a damn good player there and he's finally given a chance to show the world.

Short term, it's Swaggy (that's Verhaeghe for not-in-the-know, now-in-the-know), and long term in a points only league it's Nick Robertson, and for a goal heavy league, it's Cole Caufield.

I am Carter Verhaeghe's dad, signing off.
    The post was about Jason Robertson. Not Nick.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by bbfl1987 View Post
    The post was about Jason Robertson. Not Nick.
    I know, I was testing you to see if you knew that.

Also, Freudian slip. lol I was totally thinking of Dallas' brother Robertson and yes, I know it's Jason. haha

Just so used to always seeing Nick's name around the internet because of his monster Draft+1 year and the fact he's a Leaf. No different then why Caufield gets more traction on HFboards than the past two 1st overall picks. Leaf and Habs picks get lots of hype. haha

Dobber Sports Sage

Robertson and Caufield are the only legit choices. Both wingers appear to be attached to good young Cs in Hintz and Nick Suzuki.
    Caufield is the better goal scorer but Robertson isnt far behind and he looks to put up very solid assist rates for a scorer.
    I dont think you can lose with either one but I personally prefer Robertson by a small margin.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Lots of people will be eating crow next year.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Robertson and Caufield are the only legit choices. Both wingers appear to be attached to good young Cs in Hintz and Nick Suzuki.
    Caufield is the better goal scorer but Robertson isnt far behind and he looks to put up very solid assist rates for a scorer.
    I dont think you can lose with either one but I personally prefer Robertson by a small margin.
    I don't think that's fair... How is Verhaeghe not a legit choice? At least for the short term. 63 of his 69 prorated points are even strength, just to further expand how impressive his ES production looked. Going into next year, and going based on what the trend looked like playing in an expanded role on the top power play unit (had to earn the trust of coach JQ), he could easily add 20 more points in PP production. I really feel like people are dismissing him because he had 44 points in his draft year and played parts of his early 20's in the ECHL.

There is nobody blocking him on the wing there (in terms of chemistry and readiness and the outlook of being that guy right now), and Huberdeau is best served away from Barkov, because it gives the Panthers more scoring options, like when JQ had Kane and Toews on separate lines.

I also want people to see this....

Source:

Overall Verhaeghe's 58.72 CF% trailed on Barkov's mark of 58.90%.

Taking a look specifically at goals for and against, his 62.65% expected goals for percentage at 5-on-5 placed him behind only Colorado's Nathan MacKinnon (63.70%) and Mikko Rantanen (63.53%) among forwards that played at least 200 minutes, according to NaturalStatTrick.com.

Additionally, with the Panthers outscoring the opposition 37-15 when he was on the ice at 5-on-5 this season, his actual goals for percentage of 71.15% trailed only Boston's David Krejci (72.50%) and Dallas' Jamie Benn (71.43%).

That's some great company to be in and shows he makes things happen, and yes, he also benefits from playing with Sasha, but he had his best game without Barkov as well. Again, this is a guy who led the AHL in scoring at 23 after playing great hockey the past few years in the OHL and ECHL. It's not like he just came from out of no where. He's just now given the chance to succeed in the NHL. I had a hunch and signed him and felt there was a Marchessault 2.0 in the making. Luckily for me it worked out, minus the fact I dropped him because I panic signed a player and was going to switch the Verhaeghe drop to Fast, but I wasn't Fast enough... Get it? Good news for me, I fixed that mishap and got my boy Carter back! Yeah, perhaps I have bias or perhaps all of you don't get it. We'll go with the latter. *snickers* I kid... don't hit me, I bleed and bruise easily. Having said all of that, I would take Robertson and Caufield over him as long term investments, but I can definitely see Carter being the better short term own based on situation and the talent being overwhelmingly underrated here.

I can see CV getting 60-75 points the next few years. Robertson's peak should be 70+. I also see Caufield's top end being 70+. It really depends on those teams offensive deployments, how each player is used, and in the case of Cole, what becomes of Nick Suzuki since they both will be attached to the hip and push each other to be the best version of themselves. Will he be a safe 60 point-per-year guy or does he break out and become a superstar.

- Carter Verhaeghe's mother, father, former nanny, long time blood brothers, and boyhood kitten signing off.

Sorry, damn cat woke me up, couldn't sleep so I figure I would explore this further. Sorry, not sorry fellow reader. hehe

Dobber Sports Sage

Verhaege is a nice player dont get me wrong. A very solid guy to own. But he is 26 and we are probably seeing him near the top of his potential. I'm going off the OP and his desire for highest long term potential and most likely to reach said potential. This puts Robertson and Caufield in a class by themselves.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Verhaege is a nice player dont get me wrong. A very solid guy to own. But he is 26 and we are probably seeing him near the top of his potential. I'm going off the OP and his desire for highest long term potential and most likely to reach said potential. This puts Robertson and Caufield in a class by themselves.
    Yes and no, and I'll explain. But first I'll start with this, we are seeing his perceived top out without that PP time that he'll surely get next season, which adds to that production. If he can get 69 prorated with the PP production he had this past season, which was non existent, because up until the fourth quarter, his PP mins were just that, none existent, it's not without reason to believe he can do more going forward with quality PP time, correct? Also, we are not a 100 percent sure what his peak is. This was his first year getting top 5-on-5 minutes in the best hockey league in the world. He was 25 this past year. In fact he's still 25 as I post this. So yes, he'll be 26 going into 21/22, but not all players breakout or develop at the same rate, or guys like your Robert Langs and Mike Knubles don't break out into their 30's. I am just saying, don't let his not-so-sexy road and past, dictate what he can do based on the obvious talent and situation, playing with Barkov on the 1st line, and probably will be a good starter on their 1st PP unit with Sasha and Huberdeau. Keep in mind he's only 4 years older than Robertson. He's still a young player himself, so there is still room for growth.

I guess what I was saying, while I don't disagree with Cole Caufield and Jason Robertson being a head of him, it's the idea he's a major step down that I don't agree with. Again, I personally think he could put up more points this upcoming season than both of those guys. But yeah, clearly I like their long term value more. Heck, Caufield is my favourite prospect. I jones for the kid.

Out of curiosity, where would you guys put Cole Perfetti in this list, if he was added. I know guys will be high on Cole (the American one), because he's fresh off a good playoff run, so don't rush it. Think about it thoroughly. Perfetti just came off a AHL Rookie of the Month where he put up 13 points in 7 games. Wonder what that would have looked like had the season gone on longer.