Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Salvaging a Dynasty league - REP

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Salvaging a Dynasty league - REP

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Make lopsided trades with every GM in the bottom half of the league and start over. Gift away your best players to the bottom teams. Have fun with it. Once you have scuttled your team, build it back up again.
    I mean, if your dominance is going to kill the league then continuing to dominate is not an option. Flip the script. Be a baller!

VERIFIED BALLER!
    Last edited by Moses; November 15, 2021 at 2:04 AM.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks everyone, lots of great thoughts in here. I'll keep everyone posted on where it lands.

I've distributed too much REP for the day, will circle back tomorrow.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was in a Dynasty League (12 teams) that ran for 12 years and we switched over to a keeper league last year. Similar circumstances to your league. Some new managers were brought in over the years but it remained the same 4 or 5 managers that finished near the top and guys were becoming less active. I'm co-commish of the league and proposed a change to a keeper league and it was almost unanimous(11-1) that we change.

Going into this current season, we kept any 12 players from our 19 man dynasty roster. We also had a 6 player farm team but trimmed it down to 4 players. This offseason and for future ones, we will keep 10 players - 6F,3D,1G. The farm will again be trimmed to 2 players and then be done with after next season.

All managers were pleased with the league and results this season and everybody stayed interested and active. The waiver wire was active and there were plenty of trades, which rarely happened before. Already guys are making trade proposals as we switch from the 12 - 10 keeper format.

Good luck!
    Yahoo: H2H Keeper (6F,3D,1G)
    G,A,PPG,PPA,+/-,Shots,Hits, W,GAA,SAV%

FWDS: A. Barkov, M. Marner, A. Panarin, J. Robertson, N.Ehlers, J.Bratt , PL Dubois, B Hagel, D. Mercer, B.Jenner
    D: A. Ekblad, J. Klingberg, J. Trouba, , S. Gostisbehere, F. Hronek
    G: Bobrovsky, Jarry, Hart

Yahoo2: H2H Keeper(14-only, up to 2G)
    G,A,+/-, SOG, GWG,PPP,SHG,HIT,BLK,
    W,GAA,SV,SO,

FWDS: N. Mackinnon, M. Rantanen, E. Pettersson, JT Miller, A. Panarin, V. Tarasenko, T. Meier, Z. Hyman , B. Boesner, T. Toffoli, D. Perron
    D: Q. Hughes, Z. Werenski, J. Klingberg, J. Chychrun, M. Matheson
    G: Demko, Hart,, Levi

Dobber Sports Sage

Ya Dynasty isn't a good setup when playing with those that vary greatly in skill and/or attention.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah a salary cap, limited keeper, or finite keepers (max 3-5 years for example) would do it.

It sucks that bad GMs complain about disparity and we've all been there. I was at the bottom of my league for four years, scooping up assets and now I'm winning other GMs are complaining. It helps if they're friends. If they not, and if you don't know the people, then the possibility of the league folding is real so I'd recommend a salary cap. Good GMs can still manage that to their advantage so you'll be back at the top in no time.
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quick update for those who took the time to respond and provide advice.

It was suggested that we do a full redraft or a partial keeper + redraft however, the commish and co-commish made the "executive decision" to just dissolve my team with two expansion teams. This was never tabled to the league for any sort of opinion thus expectedly I have left the league and joined a couple of new ones.

Anyways, crappy ending to what was a great team.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post

It was suggested that we do a full redraft or a partial keeper + redraft however, the commish and co-commish made the "executive decision" to just dissolve my team with two expansion teams. This was never tabled to the league for any sort of opinion thus expectedly I have left the league and joined a couple of new ones.

It was either ‘save your team save the league’ and the league won.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post

What pieces of s those co-commishes are. Literally, "we can't compete so we're going to kill your team." Good riddance.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    It was either ‘save your team save the league’ and the league won.
    I could get on board with that mentality if it were a redraft and the parity issue was actuwlly being addressed however, now there are just 2 other teams (one of which is the commish) that will steamroll the league. The league was a 3 horse race, now its just 2.

Dobber Sports Pro

This is why I don't join dynasty leagues - it's just too hopeless for most expansion teams or guys taking over abandoned teams. Unless you had a group of buddies and all paid fees a decade in advance or something, I think a limited keeper is far more likely to be able to keep going long term. Your team can only be so screwed for so long in a keeper.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Rockies & Hockeys View Post
    This is why I don't join dynasty leagues - it's just too hopeless for most expansion teams or guys taking over abandoned teams. Unless you had a group of buddies and all paid fees a decade in advance or something, I think a limited keeper is far more likely to be able to keep going long term. Your team can only be so screwed for so long in a keeper.
    I distinctly remember seeing FinnishFlash's team in the past in his signature and thinking "W...T...F" in my head. It was one of those "are the other guys even playing?" moments. There's nothing wrong with dynasty leagues, but the people running them are supposed to prevent things like that from happening.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I was in a very similar situation, I took over a league a couple of seasons ago as it was really badly run (the owner wasnt even setting his lineups) at this point it had been 1 season.

I spent the next 2 years building a super squad, I managed to squeeze some very favourable trades and by the time it came to me ready to win (McDavid, Matthews and Marner were my top line, with Vasi, Hart and Binnington in goal lol) people were complaining that the gap is too large.

I wanted the league to work, so I agreed to a total redo from scratch, it didn't help though and the league folded. I didn't hand pick these managers, that was the issue, so there was a lot of really good managers and a lot of not so good, my other leagues have all been going a while.

Good luck whatever you do.
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.