Thread: J Rob, R Strome for Doughty and Meier

Dobber Sports Novice

Default J Rob, R Strome for Doughty and Meier

Hey guys, I had a bunch of my players lose their wing eligibility so this off season I have had to make some trades to fix that.

I have a trade on the table right now,

My: Ryan Strome and Jason Robertson

For: Doughty and Meier

What does everyone think? I have questions if R. Strome will still be on the Rangers after next near and who knows how he does on his new team. Jason Robertson is just a rookie so I would rather get someone like Meier who is more of a known quantity and helps out my RW which is weak.. Getting Doughty really helps my defense but is starting to get up there in age but I think he still has years of high quality hockey left in him.
    16 team Dynasty, Weekly, Fantrax

G(5), A(2.5), SOG(0.5), PPP(1.5), SHP(2), HIT(0.6), BLK(0.6), FOW(0.1)
    W(4), L(-2), GA(-3), SV(0.5), SHO(5), A(3)
    3 Center, 3 RW, 3 LW, 1 F, 6 D, 2 G, 6 Bench

Skaters
    C: Zibanejad, Hischier, R. Strome, J Staal, Duchene, Pageau,
    Laughton
    LW: Connor, Forsberg, Fiala, J Robertson, Blais
    RW: Bjorkstrand, Tuch, Dube
    D: Hamilton, Theodore, Pulock, Ferraro, Hamonic, Hagg
    G: Bishop, Price, Francouz, Petersen

Minors
    C: Lavoie, Iskhakov, Protas, M.E. Pettersen
    LW: N.Robertson, Tracey, Greig
    RW: Holtz, Dube, Lind, Reichel
    D: Valimaki, Clague, Gildon, Farrance
    G: Petersen, DiPietro, Swayman, Vadar

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: J Rob, R Strome for Doughty and Meier

its a big no on the value of the players..

now, im assuming its league in the sign which is fantrax league. If so, do NOT trade to fix eligibility, they will be adjusted again. its really bad idea to do so as you normally loose value and you are definitely loosing value here.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Novice

You think the value is that off? I see it as Meier = R. Strome but Meier is younger and has higher upside. Ryan Strome has really only played well the last couple years in New York and it is unknown if his contract will get extended after next year.
    In Doughty I'm getting a ~top 10 dman for a rookie winger who might not see as much PP ice time with Seguin coming back.
    16 team Dynasty, Weekly, Fantrax

G(5), A(2.5), SOG(0.5), PPP(1.5), SHP(2), HIT(0.6), BLK(0.6), FOW(0.1)
    W(4), L(-2), GA(-3), SV(0.5), SHO(5), A(3)
    3 Center, 3 RW, 3 LW, 1 F, 6 D, 2 G, 6 Bench

Skaters
    C: Zibanejad, Hischier, R. Strome, J Staal, Duchene, Pageau,
    Laughton
    LW: Connor, Forsberg, Fiala, J Robertson, Blais
    RW: Bjorkstrand, Tuch, Dube
    D: Hamilton, Theodore, Pulock, Ferraro, Hamonic, Hagg
    G: Bishop, Price, Francouz, Petersen

Minors
    C: Lavoie, Iskhakov, Protas, M.E. Pettersen
    LW: N.Robertson, Tracey, Greig
    RW: Holtz, Dube, Lind, Reichel
    D: Valimaki, Clague, Gildon, Farrance
    G: Petersen, DiPietro, Swayman, Vadar

Dobber Sports Wizard

i dont like it....in most my leagues its almost that you need to trade a guy like matthews, marner, eichel to land J Robertson. Obviously its overvalue but thats where he is atm. His value is very high and you can get much more for him than you getting. His name value is much more then his production. Strome is a bit opposite, he does not have much value but he produces quite well.

I think Meier is going to still be very good and its good gamble but based on value, he does not have much atm....i been offered very low offers for him ...he holds minimum value on trade market atm

Doughty is still god but aging, i think you will start seeing decline if not this year then next.

But im mostly dont like this deal cause you making it to fix something that will be fixed for you next time positions are updated.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'll let others debate the merits of trading based on positional requirements but I will say that the motivation behind driving a trade is extremely relevant.

I don't mind this trade. As Belexus has pointed out, Robertson is perhaps overvalued at the moment. I may be wrong, but I see a sophomore regression happening here and absolutely think he is currently overvalued. Conversely, I see Meier as being significantly undervalued and I anticipate a bounce back. I also think Meier is the better own in your scoring format, Robertson is pretty much one dimensional, Meier fills numerous scoring stats quite nicely. I also do Strome for Doughty in the blink of an eye. I think we've seen the best from Strome, all the young talent emerging in NY is eventually going to push him out of the top 6 IMO and like Robertson, he is very one dimensional. Doughty is, well, Doughty, yes he is aging but I believe he will remain productive for the next two years and I think adding him to your roster improves your team overall. You could try and leverage the Roberston hype and the no Meier love a bit more and ask for a sweetener but the trade as is works for me particularly if you are in a win now mode and from what I can see from your roster that is the case.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    I'll let others debate the merits of trading based on positional requirements but I will say that the motivation behind driving a trade is extremely relevant.

I don't mind this trade. As Belexus has pointed out, Robertson is perhaps overvalued at the moment. I may be wrong, but I see a sophomore regression happening here and absolutely think he is currently overvalued. Conversely, I see Meier as being significantly undervalued and I anticipate a bounce back. I also think Meier is the better own in your scoring format, Robertson is pretty much one dimensional, Meier fills numerous scoring stats quite nicely. I also do Strome for Doughty in the blink of an eye. I think we've seen the best from Strome, all the young talent emerging in NY is eventually going to push him out of the top 6 IMO and like Robertson, he is very one dimensional. Doughty is, well, Doughty, yes he is aging but I believe he will remain productive for the next two years and I think adding him to your roster improves your team overall. You could try and leverage the Roberston hype and the no Meier love a bit more and ask for a sweetener but the trade as is works for me particularly if you are in a win now mode and from what I can see from your roster that is the case.
    Timo Meier is valued accordingly poopoohead! I am right and you're wrong! Neiner neiner neiner! Last time I am using it! Scout's honour! Silliness aside, while I don't think Meier is as bad as he showed, (his shot rate did dip by 40 percent), which means you could add several-to-10 more goals to his total on a good year. He starts looking better. My only issue is his thinking game. How he creates offence on his own. It makes me a bit squeamish. There doesn't seem to be a real smart player there. He's more of a size and skill player... That combination of speed, shot, and tenacity to throw his big body at good speeds, to open up space for his linemates. Having said that, it doesn't always translate onto the scoresheet, because he can make errant passes that go no where, or takes far and/or off angle shots, or completely misfires. Point is for such a huge shot volume guy (245 shots per season over the last 3 years), he doesn't have a great shooting percentage (even when it's on), and that's because he doesn't pick his shots like a smart shooter does. He just throws whatever he can at the net, hoping something goes in. This is why I steered away from Timo Time, because he's running out of time in making guys believe he's really as good as where he went. The eye test shows a player that draws attention due to his speed, crashing around the net, making the odd monster hit, and he definitely has some good tools as I said before, but then when you watch how he gets his points, it's based on that skillset doing all the heavy lifting. Which is great, but the lack of hockey IQ will not get you that monster season. I still see him as a good passenger ala a James Neal in his better days. Obviously not as lethal of a shot, but comes with a better first step or two, and with that acceleration, and overall top speed he is valuable. Neal wasn't exactly the fastest guy, but that isn't what he relies on. It's that canon of a shot, and among forwards at his peak, only Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos had a better shot. And the other difference is, and it's a major one, Neal's best seasons came being a passenger to a primed Evgeni Malkin. Meier doesn't have that kind of talent to feed off of in San Jose.

That all being said, I am not at all gushy over Ryan Strome. It's not that he isn't good, quite the contrary. He just came off two seasons that would have seen him essentially be around (over or under) 70 points over 82 games. I just find the player a bit on the vanilla side, and he's a player of default and opportunity. He's as good as he is given the opportunity to play with certain talent. Strome could be a 40 point guy or a 70 one. Just depends where he lands, and what line and who his linemates are. He doesn't have the goal scoring upside of a Meier or generates his number of hits, but as we look at the past two seasons in a keeper league that may not be deep and count shots and hits, and/or has goals and assists counted as equal, I would prefer Strome to Meier, who right now has trended down every season over the last 3 years... 69, 57, and 47 prorated over 82 games. This is very concerning. Compare that to 35, 69, and 72, and the fact Strome had 43 points in his last 43 games, and you begin to understand while I may not exactly be a fan of the player, he's still the safer and better own between those two as of now.

I like Jason Robertson, and I do think there is a special player there. And while he may not do what he did in his rookie season as a sophomore, I believe he has the tools and intellect to be a very good and useful top-sixer in the NHL for a long time. So don't think he can't replicate or improve on his rookie numbers. He absolutely can and should. He has a history of being a big producer at lower levels to back up what he did in Dallas. He's not some unknown anomaly.

And finally there is Drew Doughty, who's the oldest player by far in this deal at 32 this year, and has a name that precedes his production. I always felt he was the Jonathan Toews of defenseman. You're paying a lot more for the player because of the way the media and the NHL builds them up to be much better than what the production shows, and while the argument is there for those intangibles and defensive awareness, it doesn't necessarily translate favourably to those who are buyers of said players in fantasy hockey. While the Los Angeles core and future going forward looks promising, it doesn't increase said player's value. What you see is what you get.

And I get it, it's a forward and forward for forward and defenseman deal. Just not sure I would make that deal right now. But even if you did, it's not as if you lost it. It really comes down to how important getting that defenseman is and if you believe in Meier's chance to replicate what he did at 22, because I am not sure he'll best that. And I am not sure when and if it happens again.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    Timo Meier is valued accordingly poopoohead! I am right and you're wrong! Neiner neiner neiner! Last time I am using it! Scout's honour! Silliness aside, while I don't think Meier is as bad as he showed, (his shot rate did dip by 40 percent), which means you could add several-to-10 more goals to his total on a good year. He starts looking better. My only issue is his thinking game. How he creates offence on his own. It makes me a bit squeamish. There doesn't seem to be a real smart player there. He's more of a size and skill player... That combination of speed, shot, and tenacity to throw his big body at good speeds, to open up space for his linemates. Having said that, it doesn't always translate onto the scoresheet, because he can make errant passes that go no where, or takes far and/or off angle shots, or completely misfires. Point is for such a huge shot volume guy (245 shots per season over the last 3 years), he doesn't have a great shooting percentage (even when it's on), and that's because he doesn't pick his shots like a smart shooter does. He just throws whatever he can at the net, hoping something goes in. This is why I steered away from Timo Time, because he's running out of time in making guys believe he's really as good as where he went. The eye test shows a player that draws attention due to his speed, crashing around the net, making the odd monster hit, and he definitely has some good tools as I said before, but then when you watch how he gets his points, it's based on that skillset doing all the heavy lifting. Which is great, but the lack of hockey IQ will not get you that monster season. I still see him as a good passenger ala a James Neal in his better days. Obviously not as lethal of a shot, but comes with a better first step or two, and with that acceleration, and overall top speed he is valuable. Neal wasn't exactly the fastest guy, but that isn't what he relies on. It's that canon of a shot, and among forwards at his peak, only Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos had a better shot. And the other difference is, and it's a major one, Neal's best seasons came being a passenger to a primed Evgeni Malkin. Meier doesn't have that kind of talent to feed off of in San Jose.

That all being said, I am not at all gushy over Ryan Strome. It's not that he isn't good, quite the contrary. He just came off two seasons that would have seen him essentially be around (over or under) 70 points over 82 games. I just find the player a bit on the vanilla side, and he's a player of default and opportunity. He's as good as he is given the opportunity to play with certain talent. Strome could be a 40 point guy or a 70 one. Just depends where he lands, and what line and who his linemates are. He doesn't have the goal scoring upside of a Meier or generates his number of hits, but as we look at the past two seasons in a keeper league that may not be deep and count shots and hits, and/or has goals and assists counted as equal, I would prefer Strome to Meier, who right now has trended down every season over the last 3 years... 69, 57, and 47 prorated over 82 games. This is very concerning. Compare that to 35, 69, and 72, and the fact Strome had 43 points in his last 43 games, and you begin to understand while I may not exactly be a fan of the player, he's still the safer and better own between those two as of now.

I like Jason Robertson, and I do think there is a special player there. And while he may not do what he did in his rookie season as a sophomore, I believe he has the tools and intellect to be a very good and useful top-sixer in the NHL for a long time. So don't think he can't replicate or improve on his rookie numbers. He absolutely can and should. He has a history of being a big producer at lower levels to back up what he did in Dallas. He's not some unknown anomaly.

And finally there is Drew Doughty, who's the oldest player by far in this deal at 32 this year, and has a name that precedes his production. I always felt he was the Jonathan Toews of defenseman. You're paying a lot more for the player because of the way the media and the NHL builds them up to be much better than what the production shows, and while the argument is there for those intangibles and defensive awareness, it doesn't necessarily translate favourably to those who are buyers of said players in fantasy hockey. While the Los Angeles core and future going forward looks promising, it doesn't increase said player's value. What you see is what you get.

And I get it, it's a forward and forward for forward and defenseman deal. Just not sure I would make that deal right now. But even if you did, it's not as if you lost it. It really comes down to how important getting that defenseman is and if you believe in Meier's chance to replicate what he did at 22, because I am not sure he'll best that. And I am not sure when and if it happens again.
    You dropped a load there that you'd have to bust up with a fire axe to get it down the toilet (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post

I can “vote” here in fewer words: No.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson