Thread: Kucherov for Vasilevskiy - Am I crazy for thinking this?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Kucherov for Vasilevskiy - Am I crazy for thinking this?

Hey All,

After seeing what Kuch is doing these playoffs, I'm left wondering why I didn't try to do more to get him last season when he was on IR.

Anyways, still a long ways from next season starting, but curious to know what people think of doing Kucherov for Vaseilevskiy... 1 for 1 kind of trade.

Best goalie in the league for potentially best scorer in the league (outside of McDavid of course)? Is that a reasonable trade?

Haven't proposed it to the Kuch owner in my league yet, but wondering if I even should.

Thoughts?
    Cheers!
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Kucherov for Vasilevskiy - Am I crazy for thinking this?

OOooffff I dunno. That's a tough move for either GM. I would likely want Kucherov over Vas. But it's pretty even I think. In a 10 team league, start 2 goalies you can either think "I can get 3 goalies later and do pretty well", or you can think "If I get Vas, I can get 2 goalies late and use middle picks for players".

I think Kucherov is the better own right now. But taht's a tough one.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sophomore

As a Vas owner myself, I would do this deal. However, I don't think the Kuch owner would go for this straight up, unless they are really struggling in net and have no legitimate starting goalie options.
    12 team true dynasty auction league ($60m team cap). Roster max 80. Start 2 G, 6 D, 12 F.

G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, HT, OG, Hits, Blocks, SG
    W, OW, OL, SHO

Forwards (of note); Atkinson, Backstrom, Barkov, Brassard, Coleman, Copp, Giroux, Guentzel, Iafallo, P. Kane, Kerfoot, Kopitar, Konecny, Laughton, MacKinnon, Meier, Necas, Pavelski, Stastny, Stone, Toffoli, White

Defensemen; Beaulieu, Farrance, Fowler, Goligoski, Hakanpaa, Q.Hughes, Josi, Klingberg, Lehtonen, Martinez, McNabb, Montour, Ristolainen, Shattenkirk, Tuomisto, Weegar, Yandle, Zboril

Goalies; Bishop, Dostal, Driedger, Elliott, Khudobin, McElhinney, Mrazek, Samsonov, Sogaard, Vasilevsky

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ya, good question! I can see advantages in sticking with Vasi and advantages in adding Kuch. One thing you could perhaps clear up is the picks you've listed in your sig. Does this mean you have no picks in the first 7 rounds or am I missing something? That could be an issue if you were to move Vasi. What would the goalie options look like for you that far into the draft? If a big run on goalies happens before the 8th round, the pickings could be relatively slim.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Ya, good question! I can see advantages in sticking with Vasi and advantages in adding Kuch. One thing you could perhaps clear up is the picks you've listed in your sig. Does this mean you have no picks in the first 7 rounds or am I missing something? That could be an issue if you were to move Vasi. What would the goalie options look like for you that far into the draft? If a big run on goalies happens before the 8th round, the pickings could be relatively slim.
    Nope, 8th round is my first pick for the upcoming 2021-22 season. I sold the farm to win it this season, so I know this upcoming season will likely be me battling to not be last. Meh, I won this past season so it was worth it.

My thoughts about giving up likely the only sure-shot goalie in the NHL is because the goalie situation is indeed a crap shoot. Some of the best goalies in the NHL last season were drafted in rounds 11-14 (Varlamov, Demko, Fleury) in my league. And goalies like Smith, Sorokin, Lankinen, Vanecek were undrafted. Yes, since they did good last season, they will likely be drafted higher this season; but it just shows that you can still find quality goalies really late in the draft and waiver wire. You can't find a Kucherov in round 12 or on waivers. So maybe that's why I'm thinking this is a good idea.
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Titan

The benefit of having Vas is you can wait on goalies and take bigger fliers later or hope to get someone on waivers.

The negative of moving Vas is you need to find a goalie sooner in the draft, or draft more goalies and do a "throw poop at a wall and hope some sticks" approach.

Honestly, I think it's a coin flip. If you're not expecting to compete this yr, I'd go with who you think will get a bigger trade return in 2022 if you plan to move them in the middle of the season next yr for futures.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Supremo View Post
    Nope, 8th round is my first pick for the upcoming 2021-22 season. I sold the farm to win it this season, so I know this upcoming season will likely be me battling to not be last. Meh, I won this past season so it was worth it.

My thoughts about giving up likely the only sure-shot goalie in the NHL is because the goalie situation is indeed a crap shoot. Some of the best goalies in the NHL last season were drafted in rounds 11-14 (Varlamov, Demko, Fleury) in my league. And goalies like Smith, Sorokin, Lankinen, Vanecek were undrafted. Yes, since they did good last season, they will likely be drafted higher this season; but it just shows that you can still find quality goalies really late in the draft and waiver wire. You can't find a Kucherov in round 12 or on waivers. So maybe that's why I'm thinking this is a good idea.
    Nothing wrong with selling the farm to win yourself a championship!! My opinion on goalies is well known around here but I love saying it: They are all flakes and will do nothing but beak your heart!! thing is, Vasi has been the one exception to this for a few years now which makes this so much more difficult. Still, he is a goalie! I think you have a pretty good handle on this and understand the ramifications on your draft regardless of what you decide to do. Personally, I'm inclined to take on some goaltending risk and do this deal and take my chances at the draft table. Let us know what happens. The other guy may not want to dance. I would say if he asks for more, tell him no thanks (:

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Nothing wrong with selling the farm to win yourself a championship!! My opinion on goalies is well known around here but I love saying it: They are all flakes and will do nothing but beak your heart!! thing is, Vasi has been the one exception to this for a few years now which makes this so much more difficult. Still, he is a goalie! I think you have a pretty good handle on this and understand the ramifications on your draft regardless of what you decide to do. Personally, I'm inclined to take on some goaltending risk and do this deal and take my chances at the draft table. Let us know what happens. The other guy may not want to dance. I would say if he asks for more, tell him no thanks (:
    You're wrong and I am right! And you're a poopoo head! hehe *inside joke between me and Bubba.

Sorry, couldn't resist. As much as I like Kucherov that goalie is a spicy meatball of a stud. That being said, the Lightning will have to dump some salary and we know Kuch is top 2-3 in the NHL. No, it's not MacKinnon! STOP! JUST NO!

McDavid and Draisaitl and Kucherov are interchangeable.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Superstar

"You're wrong and I am right! And you're a poopoo head! hehe *inside joke between me and Bubba."

Oh Lord, I may have created a monster (:

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops