Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Byram for 1st pick

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Byram for 1st pick

For points only full dynasty, What’s the expected fantasy value of the first overall pick in our drafts this year? Word in the Dobberverse is it’s a weak draft. I have first overall pick this year, the guy who owns Byram is shopping him. Would you trade the pick for the player? Or hold it and hope there’s someone in the draft better than him?
    Thanks

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Byram for 1st pick

Very tough. While Byram is further along, and looks to be a good one, he is on a deep team with good offensive dmen back there, where as it would be intriguing to find out where Power lands.

btw Byram wasn't even my favourite defenseman in that draft class, it's Thomas Harley. SAY WHAT?! Yuuup!

But that's my 2 cents.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Because he's further along, I prefer Byram. I also think he's better then this year D's when you consider offense with defensive NHL certainty to be a top D.

Colorado is packed but I made the mistake before to put too much into that and I missed some good players. Trades, injuries happen and elite players force their way up the lineup. Some people probably passed on Heiskanen 2 years ago because of Klingberg in the way. Now most of them would pick Heiskanen to build their team.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Stencil View Post
    Because he's further along, I prefer Byram. I also think he's better then this year D's when you consider offense with defensive NHL certainty to be a top D.

Colorado is packed but I made the mistake before to put too much into that and I missed some good players. Trades, injuries happen and elite players force their way up the lineup. Some people probably passed on Heiskanen 2 years ago because of Klingberg in the way. Now most of them would pick Heiskanen to build their team.
    Situation is different here. John Klingberg is good, but he's not Cale Makar good nor is on a team that has three very good 30 point dman in Makar, Samuel Girard, and Devon Toews in the way. Much bigger hurdles to fill than Miro Heiskanen, and outside of an incredible bubble where he had 26 points in 27 games, Miro has been rather disappointing fantasy wise (offensively) for a guy who gets so much hype. I can see Thomas Harley doing much better out of the gate than Bowen Byram, yes, despite all of the dmen in front of him. I just don't see Byram taking that top spot, despite believing Heiskanen can and has given the mins he gets compared to Klingberg. Nobody expected this kind of production from Makar. I knew he would be good, but not this good.

Also, I am not saying that he should take the 1st overall pick. Just giving options.

But yeah, at this point trading Byram for the pick is lateral and only hurts one's protection list, unless this deal was done post Draft. If I had the pick in my league, I wouldn't do it based on the fact I would probably be a building team if I had that early of a pick, and even if I wasn't...taking a kid like Owen Power who's playing with men and being in such a big package already, I wouldn't necessarily say he's that much further behind than Bowen. Even if he goes back to college for another year, I would say it's close still. And I don't do it because it means I can't protect my last man. So that means it ends up costing me the pick and one of my protected players. That's too much. But if we agreed this deal could happen post Draft, then we're talking.

P.S. I still believe Heiskanen to be a 60-70 point dman. I meant he's been disappointing thus far, fantasy wise. Especially after wooing us in that bubble with a near point-per-game clip. So getting just shy of .5 is disappointing as a follow up. But chalk that up as an otherwise disappointing year for the team.

Dobber Sports Ace

I would not trade Byram for 1st overall. Even if it's a "weak draft", in a points-only format, how valuable do you really think that Byram is going to be while still in Colorado? Makar isn't going anywhere, Girard is locked up long term, and Toews has shown that he can do well on PP2 (signed for three more seasons). This draft doesn't have a McDavid or Matthews in it, but the top guys are certainly going to be good producers at the NHL level.

This isn't a shot, at all, at Byram, but I would make this trade in a heartbeat. Yes, you run the risk of trading a guy who is further along in his development, and who has shown that he belong, for someone who might not pan out, but the potential trade off is totally worth it to me.

The Great One

It’s a no from me. Bird in hand and all that. Weak draft, Toews will end up in Seattle, Byram is much more a known quantity and an outstanding player. Keep him.

Edit: sorry - some previous posts made it sound like you’re the Byram owner. Yes, trade the 1st pick for Byram then.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    It’s a no from me. Bird in hand and all that. Weak draft, Toews will end up in Seattle, Byram is much more a known quantity and an outstanding player. Keep him.

Edit: sorry - some previous posts made it sound like you’re the Byram owner. Yes, trade the 1st pick for Byram then.
    Colorado traded two 2nd round picks for Toews. I don't for a single second believe that Colorado will leave him exposed. They'll probably ask EJ to waive for exposure, and if he won't do that, then I believe that they will either buy him out or go the 4-4-1 route before they expose Toews.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Typically I am inclined to go with the player who is further along the development curve than the ones who are not IF the level of talent is somewhat similar. However, in this case, as others have already stated, this is all about opportunity and unfortunately for Byram he is currently buried in the Avs system and it sure seems like that is not about to change anytime soon unless he is traded. So that's a concern. I don't think any of the top ranked D in this years draft are better than Byram. That said, there are some damn good prospects here and I'm not at all certain Byram is significantly more talented and has higher upside than a few of these guys. Others may not agree, but I am high on Power. You cannot help but be impressed with his body of work in this years Worlds. Clearly Coach Gallant was. Simply put, Power demonstrated that he could take on big minutes and play a key role on the World stage playing with the big dogs (ya watered down a bit, but still, I think you get the point). In short, I think Power is a player than can significantly shorten the NHL learning curve and be fantasy relevant in 2 years. Again, my opinion only, but I'd rather take my chances on Power making his mark in a relatively short time period rather than waiting for something to "break" for Byram to be afforded a similar opportunity.

So, to specifically answer the question, I'm holding that first overall. I'd probably draft Power with that pick (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Veteran

Byram is listed as a Doughty type of D,….He have few years ahead of the 2021 draft class in development….Will he really be a next Doughty, or next Frabbro in Nashville….

Pretty hard, depend what will happened in Colorado.

You should ask for more than Byram, ex 2nd round pick…
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    Colorado traded two 2nd round picks for Toews. I don't for a single second believe that Colorado will leave him exposed. They'll probably ask EJ to waive for exposure, and if he won't do that, then I believe that they will either buy him out or go the 4-4-1 route before they expose Toews.
    Well anything can happen, but I sure don't see the Av's leaving Toews exposed. As Tobias states, the Avs paid a fair price for him, he had an exceptional season and at 4.1 for the next three years, well, that's a pretty good contract for the Av's. I don't think expansion helps Byram.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm going with the first overall pick. I like Byram but Makar is clearly the PP1, #1 everything dman there. Then there's Girard. Then there's Toews. Byram has three hurdles to PP#1, one of which (Makar) is next to impossible to surpass.

My strategy would be to hold #1, then closer to the draft, let it be known that it is tradeable. Max value at that point.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Genius

Realistically, Makar is the only guy that should play ahead of Byram. He is more talented than Girard and Toews. A puck moving defender with great skating and pedigree doesn’t sit and stay put at #4 in a good organization, they didn’t draft him for that. Nothing wrong having 2 studs manning PP1 at the point and that’s what the Avs will have in the near future. With contracts coming up they will make room and there will be sacrifices, that’s where Byram can only take advantage of. Worse case he doesn’t like the situation in Colorado and he’s dealt to a team that will use him appropriately. Stone vs Byram, give me Byram all day breakfast.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Realistically, Makar is the only guy that should play ahead of Byram. He is more talented than Girard and Toews. A puck moving defender with great skating and pedigree doesn’t sit and stay put at #4 in a good organization, they didn’t draft him for that. Nothing wrong having 2 studs manning PP1 at the point and that’s what the Avs will have in the near future. With contracts coming up they will make room and there will be sacrifices, that’s where Byram can only take advantage of. Worse case he doesn’t like the situation in Colorado and he’s dealt to a team that will use him appropriately. Stone vs Byram, give me Byram all day breakfast.
    You have no idea how great of a skater Toews is. One of the top in the league, and Girard has looked amazing at his age. Not sure I am convinced he surpasses Girard and/or Toews anytime soon. Toews down the road for sure, but Girard has been very good.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I'm going with the first overall pick. I like Byram but Makar is clearly the PP1, #1 everything dman there. Then there's Girard. Then there's Toews. Byram has three hurdles to PP#1, one of which (Makar) is next to impossible to surpass.

My strategy would be to hold #1, then closer to the draft, let it be known that it is tradeable. Max value at that point.
    When is the OPs draft? So if he hangs onto it does say Owen Power to Buffalo move the needle? He'll be behind Dahlin. And Buffalo sucks. We know what this draft looks like and the players available. Does who actually drafts them move their value that much?

I have no idea what the rest of this guys roster looks like. All I know is Byram is a dynamite young player on a perennial powerhouse. I want that over some maybe works out draft pick in a pretty shallow draft. The only way I might think about keeping the first pick is if my goaltending is a complete (and I mean COMPLETE) shambles and I can grab Cossa or Walstedt for 5 years from now.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ace

Why are people assuming that he'll take Owen Power at 1? If that's the case, then, yes, keep Byram.

I would want the first overall pick, to take someone like Eklund, Johnson, or Guenther.