Thread: Do I need to add another goalie?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Do I need to add another goalie?

I feel like I have some good goalie depth but after Vasilevskiy there’s a lot of question marks over a few of them.

My goalies right now;

Vasilevskiy - Stud, no worries with him.
    Mrazek - Where will he sign?
    Driedger - Where will he sign? Not guaranteed to be a starter anywhere
    Bishop - Missed last season with injury and Dallas have Oettinger pushing for the number 1 spot.
    Samsonov - Good goalie but had troubles with injury/covid and has Vanecek potentially taking starts from him.
    Khudobin - Might be on the move. Backup most likely anywhere at this point.
    Dostal - Prospect
    Søgaard - Prospect

12 team keeper league. Stats we are track are Wins, OT wins, OT losses, SO wins and SO losses.

Do I need to go after another clear number 1 starter via free agency or trade, or is it a wait and see moment to see where the goalie chips fall this off-season? I’m in win-now mode.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Do I need to add another goalie?

I'm assuming your league is a start 2 Goalies format? In a 12 team keeper I doubt finding a "clear number 1 starter" as an FA is an option, and if there is one available, you probably don't want them on your roster (:

I'm also assuming you can stream goalie starts?

The answer here is clear for me. Unless you have super human ability to project what any goalie will do in a given year (which I doubt ... sorry) I'd recommend going with the guys you have and just wait and see. All of Driedger, Bishop and Samsonov could be nice options. Or not, who the hell knows. I like your prospects, I'm holding there as well. I'm not beating my brains out and losing good assets to go out and trade for a goalie who could just as likely as not turn out to be worse than what you have now. You've a nice advantage here, you have to one Goalie on the planet who is as close to a sure thing as it gets. Ride Vasi and stream the rest.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for your input, Bubba!

You're right, it is a start 2G format and we set our rosters weekly.

Dobber Sports Star

Your questions mainly concern predicting where goalies will play next year, which are hard to answer. Ultimately, past Vasilevskiy, I think that Samsonov is the most likely to be a #1 goalie, and then you have a bunch of time-sharers. There's an outside chance that someone will give Driedger a shot to be a 1A (Seattle or San Jose, perhaps). Then again, if you have 3 goalie cats and two are percentage categories, you can probably get by with a time-sharer in a good position. As long as you have Vasilevskiy and he performs at recent levels, you probably don't NEED to make a move, but your experience will dictate whether that is true. In your position, I wouldn't trade skater capital in order to improve my goalie situation.

Dobber Sports Genius

You’ve got one of if not the best in Vas. I also think atm Samsonov is your #2. Mrazek and Dreidger are question marks for now. I think if Bishop comes back healthy then he retakes the #1 in Dallas. Not a big fan of Khudobin and like you said could just be a career backup for the time he has left. I like your current status but that could change quickly. Keep an eye out for FA and maintain a dialogue with other teams to see how they feel about their situations. You never know how other GM’s value the goalies they have, you could swing a deal just by poking around. Good luck and be patient.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    You’ve got one of if not the best in Vas. I also think atm Samsonov is your #2. Mrazek and Dreidger are question marks for now. I think if Bishop comes back healthy then he retakes the #1 in Dallas. Not a big fan of Khudobin and like you said could just be a career backup for the time he has left. I like your current status but that could change quickly. Keep an eye out for FA and maintain a dialogue with other teams to see how they feel about their situations. You never know how other GM’s value the goalies they have, you could swing a deal just by poking around. Good luck and be patient.
    Great advice, thank you!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by MCARTER82 View Post
    Thanks for your input, Bubba!

You're right, it is a start 2G format and we set our rosters weekly.
    Bubba can be so awesome at times, right? Even if it's for 49 percent of the time. hehe *makes a funny face at Bubba*
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    Bubba can be so awesome at times, right? Even if it's for 49 percent of the time. hehe *makes a funny face at Bubba*
    Right 49% of the time, that's pretty good isn't it???
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Right 49% of the time, that's pretty good isn't it???
    Yup!
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.