Thread: Jumping Rope

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Jumping Rope

Does anyone here jump rope for fitness?

I started doing it at the start of May and I am having a blast. I started with a 1lb weighted rope made by Voxlova. I was enjoying it that I proceeded to buy a mat to jump on (Supermats 11GS), then a new pair of runners (Inov-8 Bare XF 210). I use the Crossrope App (free version) and just do their monthly challenges or one of the 10 free workouts they have available. I've been jumping for 20-30 minutes every 2nd day and my wife says my tummy is looking smaller.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Jumping Rope

I do just with a base rope and man it was more difficult than I remember as a kid when I first started doing it. But it's what I use as a warm up for other stuff now. It's pretty nice warmup. I'm 6'7" so I can't do it inside or in my garage so I gotta do it on days it doesn't rain.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

I started doing it at the start of May and I am having a blast. I started with a 1lb weighted rope made by Voxlova. I was enjoying it that I proceeded to buy a mat to jump on (Supermats 11GS), then a new pair of runners (Inov-8 Bare XF 210). I use the Crossrope App (free version) and just do their monthly challenges or one of the 10 free workouts they have available. I've been jumping for 20-30 minutes every 2nd day and my wife says my tummy is looking smaller.
    Nice! Never got into it because I lack that kind of coordination but maybe I will now that I doubt I'm going back to a gym for a longgggg long time.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hmm, this is a great idea. I have a rope, and need an exercise that won't flare up my shoulders. I will give this a try! Thanks for the tips on app!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yep,

I did something similar as you, use the crossrop app, free version, got weighted ropes.

Jumping rope is one of the better cardio/fitness exercises you can do. I have laid off it for the past few months due to shoulder issues, but I really want to get back into it. I find it very fun, can make a game out of it, how many times without screwing up, etc.

Keep at it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wow - props Chuk!

Last time I jumped rope... it was about 10 years ago, I was much fitter and it was very hard.
    I did it outside, each night, for maybe... a week.
    I had bought a quality jump-rope (ball-bearings, but not weighted), maybe for 15min per nightly go... probably a minute or so at a time, with 10sec breaks.

It was very, very, very hard, from what I remember.
    A good buddy of mine who was in kinesiology in college told me that just 7 minutes of rigorous cardio per day will keep one REALLY fit.
    I couldn't stay with it.

But major clap to you for giving it a go. #P7isImpressed

Dobber Sports Stud

Yep I do. its part of the Crossfit workouts which i do 5 times a week. worked my way up to double unders...

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Administrator

Used to do this for ~10 minutes as a warm-up for muay thai. I'm terrible and not well coordinated but I would get through it.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by CMSpiced View Post
    Yep,

I did something similar as you, use the crossrop app, free version, got weighted ropes.

Jumping rope is one of the better cardio/fitness exercises you can do. I have laid off it for the past few months due to shoulder issues, but I really want to get back into it. I find it very fun, can make a game out of it, how many times without screwing up, etc.

Keep at it.
    Can you elaborate? Did the shoulder issues start from the jumprope or something else? I understand if you arent comfortable sharing personal stuff. I am having shoulder issues (tendonitis) myself and thought this might be something i could do for cardio as cycling involves the upper body too much. Maybe ill just try it and see.

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Can you elaborate? Did the shoulder issues start from the jumprope or something else? I understand if you arent comfortable sharing personal stuff. I am having shoulder issues (tendonitis) myself and thought this might be something i could do for cardio as cycling involves the upper body too much. Maybe ill just try it and see.
    Yah, no problem.

Had nothing to do with the Jump Rope, it was a result of doing high rep burpees/calisthenics (200+ burpees for example). I think what happened was I went to fast into the high rep, muscles were fine, but my joints/ligaments were not use to the stress.

With jump rope, you can get weighted and non-weighted. For example, a 1 pound jump rope will really work the shoulders, so if you want to be cautious, I would start with a low weight jump rope. Again, big fan of it, but it does work the shoulders.

Administrator

I like to use jump rope as part of a dynamic warm up before lifting. Great way to get the heart pumping in a short amount of time. Don't think you'd catch me doing it for 20-30 minutes straight. What types of variations are you using to keep it fresh? It took me forever but I started getting the hang of double-unders where I could do sets of 20+ in a row.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Hmm, this is a great idea. I have a rope, and need an exercise that won't flare up my shoulders. I will give this a try! Thanks for the tips on app!
    On this topic, back when I would jump rope my arms were not moving. It was all in the wrists. No impact on the shoulders.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    What types of variations are you using to keep it fresh?
    I am using the Cross Rope app and just doing their free monthly challenge workouts. This is a typical workout.

WARM UP
    Basic jump for 30 seconds, rest, body weight squats for 30 seconds, rest, alternate foot jump for 30 sec, rest, walkouts (stand then crawl to plank then crawl back to stand) for 30 seconds, rest for 30 seconds, basic jump for 30 seconds

SET 1
    Alternate foot jump for 20 sec, rest for 10, side lunge for 20 sec, rest for 10, alternate foot jump for 20 sec, rest for 10, jumping jacks for 20, rest for 10, alternate foot jump for 20, rest for 10, side lunge for 20, rest for 10, alternate foot jump for 20, rest for 1 minute

SET 2
    Basic jump for 20 sec, rest for 10, side-to-side squats for 20, rest for 10, basic jump for 20, rest for 10, high knee sprint for 20, rest for 10, basic jump for 20, rest for 10, side-to-side squat for 20, rest for 10, high knee sprint for 20, rest for 1 minute

Repeats sets 1 and 2.

Cooldown

That's a typical crossrope workout. Sometimes they do only jumping and sometimes they will mix jumping with body weight exercises. The work part lasts from 15 to about 120 seconds and then there is normally a shorter rest. The odd time they will double up exercises before a rest but not often.

They seem to work although sometimes they work in an active stretch day so I just do that and another workout. Other days the workouts are not long enough for my liking that day so I will find another shorter one and do that as well. I'm enjoying it and my body seems to be responding to it. Not sure if you could get jacked from something like this but that is not a concern with my body type as I'm trying to melt away the excess and so far it's definitely helping as I'm down about 15lbs.

Dobber Sports Icon

Update!

I have now been jumping rope + body weight exercises for between 15 and 40 minutes roughly every 2nd night since the end of April.

I have lost about 25 pounds and about 3" in my pants waist size. I am still really enjoying the workouts and the exercise.

Update!

I have now been jumping rope + body weight exercises for between 15 and 40 minutes roughly every 2nd night since the end of April.

I have lost about 25 pounds and about 3" in my pants waist size. I am still really enjoying the workouts and the exercise.
    Well done dude!

That is impressive to say the least! Keep up the great progress.