Thread: Goalie Issues

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Goalie Issues

Need a little help with my goaltending situation. It’s a 12 team, keep all, points based, h2h league. We start 12, and have a bench of 10 with 25 prospects. We start 2 goalies and can only have one on the bench. Goalie prospects can stay as prospects for 100 games played. After they hit 100 games they have to be dropped, moved up to the main team or traded. My goalies are……

Varlamov,
    Campbell. 82 games played
    Demko. 72 games played
    Merzlikins. 61 games played
    Bernier
    Vanecek
    Shesterkin
    Knight

Who should I keep and who should I trade? My D is somewhat weak (we start 4) so I thought I would try to move a goalie or 2 for some upgrade on my D. Hope this makes sense and thank you in advance.

Also wondering what kind of return I should expect on the ones you suggest I trade.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Goalie Issues

Anyone have an opinion? Do I need to give more info? Thx!!

Dobber Sports Star

I can't say what the return should be. Your league provides a drop-dead 100 game line whereafter the asset's value turns to zero instantly. If I really needed a goalie and was in a rebuilding stage, I'd just wait to get your leftovers for free. That being said, it seems that

- Shestyorkin and Knight are your futures.
    - Varlamov is your best goalie now.
    - You've got 3 goalies who are probably starter worthy in a 12 team that starts two goalies.

I think that the first decision is how to handle Varlamov as that informs all others. Top tier goalie now, but his time at the top is limited and everyone knows it. Do you trade him to someone and then delay the decision of how to handle the Campbell/Demko/Merzlikins logjam? If you believe you're a contender, then I'd keep Varlamov and deal Campbell; using Varlamov/Shestyorkin/Demko or Merzlikins on the bench, depending on their situations. Merzilkins probably won't reach the 100 game mark next year until close to the end of the season, and by then you'll have a lot more information. If you think you can turn Varlamov into a skater piece that you need, then you don't really need to make a decision this year.

Dobber Sports Icon

Without being in your league, it is very difficult to judge what type of return to expect in a trade but here is how I would rank your goalies. I will let you decide what to do from there.

Knight (can stay in the minors when he's not playing)
    Varlamov - he plays for a great defensive team
    Demko
    Shesterkin (should be able to stay in the minors when he's not playing pretty much all year as he only has 47 NHL games played)
    Merzlikins
    Vanecek
    Bernier

The Great One

I'd keep Knight and Shest in the minors, and then shop all your goalies. I'd want to know the relative return for trading Varlamov versus Demko (for example).

Dobber Sports Superstar

Goalie Issues. Ya, don't we all, and just about every NHL franchise as well (:

I think all the right answers have been given. Summarized, Knight and Sherterkin go on the farm. With Varly, the question is, are you in a competitive win now position or are you building? If you are a contender you keep Varly, he has one more good year left then his contract is up and who knows what might happen. That said, Sorokin will see a good number of starts next year. If you are not contending, Varly should be solid trade bait. Again if contending, I keep one of Campbell or Demko. However, before I choose which one, I shop them both and see what kind of return you get. If you like an offer, take it and keep the other guy. I like your other goalies less than the ones mentioned, bottom line, shop all of them. Look to package two of them up try and get a good return. Ideally I think you want to keep a minimum 4 goalies, possibly 5. Try and turn the others into assets that you need elsewhere. As far as value for these guys in your league know one knows better than you, although in a 12 team start 2 G format, I would think all these flakes are highly valued (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks all, really appreciate all the advice!!