Thread: Help ranking Dynasty Goalies with unclear futures

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Help ranking Dynasty Goalies with unclear futures

I am currently in a start-up dynasty draft where I'm looking to keep 4 goalies (deep benches, will be nice to have options). Our categories for goalies are W, SV, SV%, and GAA. Currently, my roster has Sorokin, Petersen, and Knight on it, and I'm debating who to pick as a fourth goaltender. There's a couple guys I like, but their current trajectories are a little murky in my opinion.

How would you rank the following in this situation?
    Elvis (presumably will be a number 1 goalie somewhere next season, one can only imagine. But will he be left to dry in Columbus? Will he get traded somewhere that will depress his numbers, e.g. San Jose? unsure how this will shake out but I'm a fan)

Driedger (similar to above. Word on the street that I've heard is that he's apparently Seattle's target for #1 goalie, and his social media has made it clear he's not returning to Florida. That being said, it's a bit of a gamble, because who knows where he'll actually end up? But, like Elvis, big fan of the player)

Kahkonen (Wild's set-up is unclear to me. I don't know how much play he'll see behind Talbot, or if it'll be close to a timeshare, or what)

Thanks in advance for any insight! I think I'm currently leaning Driedger --> Elvis --> Kahkonen, but I keep flipflopping and would love a second opinion (or more!)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Help ranking Dynasty Goalies with unclear futures

I've heard that at least one of the goalies in Columbus will get moved. You assessment of the risk with the others is fair. Personally, I think Driedger will continue to put up nice numbers wherever he goes, but starting status obviously is not guaranteed.

Either way, it looks like you're going to end up with four 1A/1B goalies here which, I guess, isn't so bad. But it is nice to have someone you know will get 50-60 starts. Peterson could do that for you if Quick get's moved or claimed by SEA.

I'd go this ranking for what it's worth:

Driedger
    Kahkonen (I think MIN will phase him in soon and move on from Talbot)
    Elvis
    12 team dynasty, H2H points, no cap, no max games
    12F (4 slots per pos), 6D, 2G, 32 players + 21 minor slots, minors eligibility <80 GP
    G: 4 / A: 2 / / Blk, Hit, SOG: 0.5 / Goalie W: 3 / Shutout: 1 / STP: 1 / SV% >.92: 1 / SV: 0.25

C: Eichel, Trochek, Barzal, Suzuki,
    W: Draisaitl, Ehlers, Dubois, Buchnevich, Necas, Debrusk, McCann, Jarvis
    D: Hughes, Morissey, Chychrun, Bouchard, Pionk, Parayko, McNabb
    G: Ullmark, Hart, Grubauer, Korpisalo

Prospects:
    Knies, Reichel, Kemell, Robertson
    Sandstrom

Dobber Sports Rookie

Yeah, I expect Petersen to be the primary starter in LA moving forward, to be honest! I think he's in the process of phasing in at the moment. Thanks for the input! I think you make a good point about Talbot as well. Really curious about what that'll be like moving forward

The Great One

Driedger
    Kahkonen
    Elvis

I agree with this. I think Talbot may well go in the Seattle draft.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

Merzlikins

Driedger

Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Deity

Merzlikins
    Dreidger
    Kahkonen

I have no idea what makes anyone think the Wild are going to phase out Talbot. He's their 1A unless he completely $hits the bed.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Rookie

Based on the responses here and on a fantasy hockey discord forum I'm on, the vote seems really split between Driedger and Elvis-- thanks for the feedback everyone! Guess I still have some mulling over to do, haha. With any luck the draft will go on long enough before my pick that I can get some offseason news and a better idea of where one will end up landing!

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree, Merz is the play here. Talbot is going nowhere and don’t know if Dreidger is really a starter. Good luck.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

The Great One

So is the consensus then that Talbot is protected and Kahkonen left exposed or that the Kraken simply don’t take Talbot? Or is there a side deal here somehow?
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Elvis

Kahkonen
    Driedger

I think it's a really easy decision to pick up Elvis. He's by far the most skilled of the 3 and his situation should improve shortly as he only has 1 year left and CBJ won't run a split again on 2 expiring UFA goalies. Hopefully he's the one traded though, hehe, otherwise starter of Columbus isn't a great spot but I still think he's the best of this list.

Dobber Sports Icon

I can't see the Wild protecting Kahkonen over Talbot. The reason for this is that Kahkonen is not very good.

From Feb 23 to the end of the NHL season, here are Kahkonen's numbers:

10-4-0, 3.21 GAA, .893 SV%, -6.1760 GSAA, 35.7 Quality Start %

For comparison, here are Cam Talbot's numbers over the same time period:
    19-10-5, 2.63 GAA, .916 SV%, 8.2560 GSAA, 55.9 Quality Start %

Now, you are going to ask why I cherry picked Feb 23rd to start the comparison and the answer is simple. Prior to that day, the Minnesota Wild had played 15 NHL games with 12 of them coming against SJ, LA & Anaheim who were 3 of the 6 worst teams in the NHL this season as well as being 3 of the 7 lowest scoring teams in the league.

Talbot got hurt so Kahkonen was lucky enough to play 10 of those 15 games (only 1 of 3 against Colorado) and had a GAA of 2.41 and a SV% of .915 during that time. Even during those 10 games, he still only had a quality start percentage of 50. Once he started facing teams that were not bottom dwellers, his true numbers started to show.

The Great One

The main numbers in play here are 33 and 24. Unless a side deal is struck I dont see the Wild exposing Kahkonen.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Deity

I fully expect Minny to protect Kahkonen and expose Talbot but I won't be surprised if they don't try and swing a deal to keep Seattle from taking Talbot too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."