Thread: I have two deals involving Dawson Mercer, which guy do I go for?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default I have two deals involving Dawson Mercer, which guy do I go for?

I can either get Denis Gurianov or Carter Verhaeghe.

Verheaghe plays on a line with Sasha Barkov, and was on a prorated 69 point season over 82 games. Is that an outlier or can he continue to produce there? Only 2 of his 36 points came on the PP, which could be looked as good or bad.

Denis Gurianov has the higher end skillset and talent, and expectations were he was supposed to break out from his 19/20 season, but didn't deliver after performing hugely in the bubble.

The deal wouldn't be straight up and It's not important what comes with Mercer as who of the two should I go for is what is of importance. I am a top team, but also one that needs to get younger and wants to trust in the talent coming back, because I believe Mercer can find some NHL games on the big squad as early as the upcoming 21/22 season. He was voted the best two-way player in the Q, while having the best PPG production of any QMJHLer in the post season. He has 43 goals and 96 points in his last 65 regular season games and 49 goals and 113 points in 74 games if you include the past QMJHL playoffs. I post this to illustrate just how good of a prospect Mercer is, as a counter if I should even consider this deal. WJC Canada coach André Tourigny believed Mercer was the best player for Canada at Juniors. The kid's hands are insane.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Re: I have two deals involving Dawson Mercer, which guy do I go for?

Biased bc I own Mercer, but I would wait to see how Mercer does in the AHL/NHL this season (assuming he gets a look). He does have the potential to be special seeing as he'll play on a line with Hughes or Hischier.
    14 team dynasty points only. skaters: 1 point for goals/assists. goalies: 2 points for wins/shutouts.

start 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 3G with 14 players on the bench.

F: Jason Robertson, Tim Stutzle, Brady Tkachuk, Trevor Zegras, Logan Cooley, Leo Carlsson, Kent Johnson, Wyatt Johnston, Matthew Savoie, Dawson Mercer, Quinton Byfield, Seth Jarvis, William Eklund, Logan Stankoven, Kirill Marchenko, Marco Kasper, Joakim Kemell

D: Moritz Seider, Luke Hughes, David Reinbacher, Olen Zellweger

G: Devon Levi, Spencer Knight, Dustin Wolf, Akira Schmid, Carter Hart, Daniil Tarasov, Trey Augustine, Jacob Fowler, Adam Gajan

Dobber Sports Wizard

Get CV and run
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

The Great One

Eiher guy is a steal. ILL TAKE gurianov but its close...

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by apolloprojects View Post
    Biased bc I own Mercer, but I would wait to see how Mercer does in the AHL/NHL this season (assuming he gets a look). He does have the potential to be special seeing as he'll play on a line with Hughes or Hischier.
    Nothing wrong with Mercer, but I'd readily deal him for either of these two players.

Dobber Sports Star

I like Gurianov a little more than Verhaeghe but both more than Mercer.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    I like Gurianov a little more than Verhaeghe but both more than Mercer.
    Agree with this, definitely have both over Mercer.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Superstar

Before jumping on the band wagon here there is some key information that is missing. What are your scoring cats? What does the rest of your team look like? What does your league look like, farm system for example?

In the right conditions, Mercer could have significant value. In a points only not so much, but with expanded peripherals coming into play a potential top 6 two way player like Mercer could be extremely valuable. Too add to this, I'm not at all certain where both CV and Gurianov actually fit into their respective teams plans. CV in particular could well see a significant change in deployment if a few of Florida's prospects take the next step.

I'm not saying don't do this, I am saying a number of other factors should likely be taken into consideration. I typically like the NHL player who is already in the show over the prospect but that depends on a number of things and in this case it's tough to make a call because of the lack of more detailed information.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Ace

Both Gurianov and Verhaeghe would be a big win here. I’d roll the dice on Gurianov.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Before jumping on the band wagon here there is some key information that is missing. What are your scoring cats? What does the rest of your team look like? What does your league look like, farm system for example?

In the right conditions, Mercer could have significant value. In a points only not so much, but with expanded peripherals coming into play a potential top 6 two way player like Mercer could be extremely valuable. Too add to this, I'm not at all certain where both CV and Gurianov actually fit into their respective teams plans. CV in particular could well see a significant change in deployment if a few of Florida's prospects take the next step.

I'm not saying don't do this, I am saying a number of other factors should likely be taken into consideration. I typically like the NHL player who is already in the show over the prospect but that depends on a number of things and in this case it's tough to make a call because of the lack of more detailed information.
    Dammit, I wanted to be lazy. FIIINE! I'll do it today. *gribble grabble*
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree with the majority here. Denis Gurianov or Carter Verhaeghe are both in the NHL now and producing. Mercer has yet to officially "make it". No doubt he will, but Mercer is still a year or two away before becoming relevant.

The only way I do not consider doing this deal is if I am possibly in rebuild mode. Even so, Gurianov and Verhaeghe are still young at 24 and 25 and worth rebuilding with imo.
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO