Thread: Is it time to move Couturier ?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Is it time to move Couturier ?

Hey guys,

I've had Couturier for a while and he's been very good. Production vs $ was excellent. Entering the last year of his bargain deal, I have a feeling he will re-up for Philly at north of 9.0m. Stone being a comparable IMO.

Is it time to move him and if so, who should I target that has a good contract with possibly similar upside/production?

My team is in Signature and is up to date.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Is it time to move Couturier ?

i like to get 10 points for 1m from forwards. if he gets 9M he wont fetch you that bu i think they will keep him down at around 7 to be honest. He maybe more important than Stone but i dont think his offense is as good as Stone's.

i think i hold and wait here unless you have no cap space and he is your worst contract which i be surprised if he is.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah, given that Giroux is getting $8.275 and Voracek is at $8.25 and Hayes is at $7.14... how could they give Couturier less than those guys.
    Yeah... just one year left at the beauty of a $4.33.
    What a bargain that was for PHI the last few years. (Wasted... sigh...)

One has to wonder what happens with Giroux... when Couturier is clearly the better player at this point of his career.
    Tough to have both those as UFAs in summer 2022... with Farabee/Frost as RFAs.

I think the target numbers to land these guys will be:
    $8.75m Couturier
    $5.75m Farabee
    $(bridge) Frost

Fortunately, PHI should have good opportunity to extend Patrick & Hart & Sanheim at lower numbers... since all were disappointing this year.

Yes - I'd try to move Couturier this year.
    If you can get him... Christian Dvorak for the next 4 years at $4.45m is a helluva good contract, from potential & this year's show, I think.
    His 31pts is sort of hidden by a 56gp season.
    But he was very good... he shows signs, to me, of being Couturier-ish.

[Couturier's big *pop* was when he went from 120sog in 66gp in 16/17 to a 227sog in 82gp in 17/18. The goals came with increased shots... Dvorak could do the same, he didn't really shoot that much... just 95sog in his 56gp. I guarantee the future ARI coaches/staff will recommend he start firing the puck more.]

Dobber Sports Initiate

In a cap league, absolutely. Couturier has been one of the best fantasy values out there. Like the Pastrnaks and MacKinnons. His next contract makes him not as desirable in a cap league. In a non cap league, I might consider it only given his age and we have probably seen his top end already. He's a sexier NHLer than a fantasy one.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yes, I'd try and move Couturier. However, that could be tough unless you can find a trading partner who is unaware that Couturier's contract is up, or thinks that he will sign for less than he likely will sign for. I just don't think Couturier for 8 Mil or more is great fantasy value for the $$$. Better to take on a good contract for decent return and spend the $$$ elsewhere. There are certainly lots of options out there, I agree that Dvorak is one, but there are others, Lindholm, Ryan Strome younger guys like Cirelli and Tuch just to name a few. There's no easy way here, if you want to move Couturier your going to have to roll up your sleeves and do some serious work (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have an offer from a bad team, 1st in 2022, potentially a top 5 pick. I’m unsure of the potential value of that pick. Is it worth considering?

Dobber Sports Deity

Im not sure he gets that much in a flat cap league unless Philly moves out of of their other big contracts mentioned earlier, or let's Giroux walk altogether.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkers View Post
    I have an offer from a bad team, 1st in 2022, potentially a top 5 pick. I’m unsure of the potential value of that pick. Is it worth considering?
    I would do that.
    Just remember to come back to this thread to thank us when you draft that 2022 pick.

Administrator

Points based there's a strong argument to move on from Couturier. He remains high-end but has missed 10+ games in half of the seasons of his career, which will put a ceiling on what he can do. And it's not like we're talking about jumping out on a Malkin type, where he could stay healthy and suddenly you've moved a top-10 guy.

I would warn against being too stoked on that 2022 1st. There's a prize at the top of that draft in Shane Wright, and some others will likely emerge, but it's still just a magic bean. Also, if that low ranked team plays their cards correctly, they could make a few more moves to push into contention. You'd know better the history of the GM and the standing of the team whether that's likely or not. You have to be prepared to be getting the 10th pick in the 2022 draft if you make this move. Would you get even that next summer if Couturier is signing for around $8M? Probably, so I think you are paying a premium for a shot at the Wright pick, but it could be the time to gamble.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I moved Couturier + Gostisbehere + other smaller parts and picks
    vs
    Werenski + Larkin

To a guy running for first place at the trade deadline. Both Werenski and Larkin were injured.

I think if you don't plan to contend this year, it's a must to pull the trigger. In doubt, try to do so.

I don't like the pick for Couturier trade, but if it's the best you can get... Does your league allow for some protection (ex : possibility to switch it to another year in case pick is not good enough?)

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, ?, ?
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, ?, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Klingb Brannstrom Bean Peru Soderstrom Clarke
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Huberdeau Zucc Giroux Quinn Couture Hartman Bjorkstrand Wheeler Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Mangiapane Brink Guenther Poulin Perreault Cristall Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I have a feeling that both Giroux & Couturier are gone from Philly after this year, if Fletcher is still in charge. He is partway through the housecleaning of the main guys he inherited on the NHL roster, and he's only got JVR, Giroux, Couturier, and Provorov left. Provorov is young, but was established, but they now have a new #1D in Ellis, plus Ristolainen and Yandle as big names. I don't count Laughton as a main guy, and I feel Hart is a young goalie who had just come up, so not an established part of the prior regime, really.

I think they see Hayes/Laughton as two of their top 3 centers moving forward.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Sean Couturier will remain. Too good as a two-way 1LC. Fantastic defensively and nearly a point-per-game and is still 28 as I type this. He's safe. He can still be a good piece on a young team and he's one of the more elite two-way centres in the game.

Claude Giroux is slowing down and at 33 that won't change. We have seen some dramatic drops in production.. Here are the last 4 seasons:

102, 85, 53, 43...

So nay on Coots, but on Claude, I can see it.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Courier is one of the best 2 way centers in the game. That makes him very valuable to an NHL club, but not as valuable in the fantasy realm. If you have the opportunity, I’d trade him based on the name for a younger player with equal fantasy upside. Key word here is ‘fantasy’