Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Build a team using only entry draft picks

The Great One

Default Build a team using only entry draft picks

Im interested in starting a league where we only icea roster (smaller)- based on entry draft picks from when the league was started. The competetive side- hth play would begin 3 years after we start drafting. That menas

- No fa adds
    - No solidified stars/players
    - No established stars

Literally ONLY players from the entry draft over the next three years.

Would ultimately need a 3 year commitment although I think only ONE buy in in that time would suffice; Use last years draft as well beore it ages too well. 5 forwards, 3 D and 1 g

Sny gaping flaws with this idea?

The Great One

Default Re: Build a team using only entry draft picks

GM's would lose interest very quickly if their picks miss. There is no way to recover or adjust - all based on projections. Seems like a awfully long burn and too static.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

How would you plan on determining draft orders for the three years?

I like the premise of this idea - and you will need to keep rosters small like you mentioned.

Also, you might need to eliminate goalies as there is low likelihood that there will be enough goalies from the next three drafts for competitive balance.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    How would you plan on determining draft orders for the three years?

I like the premise of this idea - and you will need to keep rosters small like you mentioned.

Also, you might need to eliminate goalies as there is low likelihood that there will be enough goalies from the next three drafts for competitive balance.
    Touche- or make goalies optional like- 4 d/g spots with a limit of 1 g?

I think youd have to randomize it year 1- then maybe in the year buildup you take their cumulative point totls and draft in reverse of that? Or randomize it every year? I think a small coterie of gms would help too- like as little as 6.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    GM's would lose interest very quickly if their picks miss. There is no way to recover or adjust - all based on projections. Seems like a awfully long burn and too static.
    Well youd have 3-4 cracks at drafts to get a base going. I agree though long wait times not for everyone.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i say keep it to 6 GMs, make it free and give it a try...i think its interesting idea but i think you will find out that there are lots of issues with it as you move on...they may not be clear now but im sure lots of problems would pop up.

but again if you keep the league very small you maybe able to keep enough interest to keep it going...you could also do random order every year with 6GMs..i think that be cool...a bit luck based but still...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Icon

The other thing you would have to do is make LOTS of picks each draft. Let's say 200 total each year. That's the only way that teams will have enough players to ice a full roster even in a small league.

The other biggest flaw I see is that there's no incentive for teams to follow the league at all. They draft a player and don't get anything for that player for 2+ years. It's going to be tough to keep interest from GMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i say keep it to 6 GMs, make it free and give it a try...i think its interesting idea but i think you will find out that there are lots of issues with it as you move on...they may not be clear now but im sure lots of problems would pop up.

but again if you keep the league very small you maybe able to keep enough interest to keep it going...you could also do random order every year with 6GMs..i think that be cool...a bit luck based but still...
    I would be interested in giving it a try if it was free..

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The other thing you would have to do is make LOTS of picks each draft. Let's say 200 total each year. That's the only way that teams will have enough players to ice a full roster even in a small league.

The other biggest flaw I see is that there's no incentive for teams to follow the league at all. They draft a player and don't get anything for that player for 2+ years. It's going to be tough to keep interest from GMs.
    It would be tough to keep the interest of some GMS... but there are some out there that love the development of minor leaguers.

The thing that would keep me interested the most would be the challenge of how well I did when the league starts playing games!! If I could have a first year like Las Vegas after the expansion that would be awesome.

I also really enjoy minors drafts so this would be super interesting for me to try to build a team through minors drafts only.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Stud

Really intriguing idea Emu.

A couple of thoughts:
    - Echo what PH said about goalies. A 3-year window to be in the show is a pretty tight turn-around. You could mitigate that a bit though by extending the "eligibility" further back for just goalies (e.g. so 2020 for players, but up to 2017 for goalies)
    - In the 3-year "build up" window, you could try out a couple of fun wrinkles in a one-year format alongside your drafting. For example, after the inaugural draft pick/dynasty draft, have each team draft an over-35 NHL team for that season only. Play for fun with the vets while waiting out the draftees. (No minors streaming or anything though)
    - I'd personally suggest extending the inaugural draft window to 2019 as well. With 6 GMs, this gives everyone a shot off the hop at a top 2 guy. Also means maybe someone likes a guy like Byram more than O.Power adding to the fun/strategy. It also adds S.Knight into the mix of eligible G's (if you're not extending goalie eligibility)

Supposing it's a free league, I'd be interested in giving it a try too depending where some of the variables net out.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    Really intriguing idea Emu.

A couple of thoughts:
    - Echo what PH said about goalies. A 3-year window to be in the show is a pretty tight turn-around. You could mitigate that a bit though by extending the "eligibility" further back for just goalies (e.g. so 2020 for players, but up to 2017 for goalies)
    - In the 3-year "build up" window, you could try out a couple of fun wrinkles in a one-year format alongside your drafting. For example, after the inaugural draft pick/dynasty draft, have each team draft an over-35 NHL team for that season only. Play for fun with the vets while waiting out the draftees. (No minors streaming or anything though)
    - I'd personally suggest extending the inaugural draft window to 2019 as well. With 6 GMs, this gives everyone a shot off the hop at a top 2 guy. Also means maybe someone likes a guy like Byram more than O.Power adding to the fun/strategy. It also adds S.Knight into the mix of eligible G's (if you're not extending goalie eligibility)

Supposing it's a free league, I'd be interested in giving it a try too depending where some of the variables net out.
    Some great ideas- I LOVE INCLUDING AN EXTRA DRAFT YEAR AS WELL

The Great One

Well here are some firm starting points I think:

- Use 6-8 gms- more waters down the talent pool too much.
    - Start last year draft (19-20), but also use this years draft too (20-21)
    - Minimal starting lineup 5f, 3d, 1 d or g flex.
    - Points only (debatable)
    - Wekly starts with a 3 man bench (ddeatable)
    - Calculate points and draft in reverse order of them in years 2 and 3.
    - Start the actual hth games in year 4
    - 9 rounds each year- enough to draft a full active roster every year
    Lets do this- who wants in! Who wants to run it to! Surely theres someone more organized than me to handle that part P

FREEE!!!!

The Great One

Point of debate: should we even go so far as to consider drafting out of 2018-2019 player pool as well? A lot of intriguing, undeveloped talent in that pool still....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd be interested in joining a league like this

The Great One

sweet! Ok if anyone wants to join start posting now and well try to cut it at fist 8. If we go over maybe we can do a shuffle/draw

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'll PM you my contact details
    16 Team, H2H Dynasty Cap 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G, 3B, 10 Minor - Scoring G / A / P / PPP / SOG / Hit / Blk / TOISH - W / GAA / SV / SV%
    Forwards: Gaudreau, Barzal, Beniers, Raymond, Trocheck, Byfield, Quinn, Couturier, Chytil, Crouse, Farabee, Rasmussen, Podkolzin, Monahan, Killorn
    Defence: Sergachev, McAvoy, Sanderson, Hronek, McCabe, Broberg
    Goalie: Demko, Merzlikins, Schmid
    F Minors: McTavish, Eklund, Sillinger, Nazar, Kasper, Lekkerimaki, Ostlund
    D Minors: Edvinsson
    G Minors: Askarov, Cossa
    Picks: 2023 1.01, 1.14

So we are 3 interested?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​