Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kyrou or Cozens

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Kyrou or Cozens

Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on these two players over the next 2-3 years.

I'm in a roto pool with goals, assists, points, +/-, pims, and pp points.

Both players have the same positions in ESPN (C/RW) but I can only keep one.

Personally, I'm leaning Cozens because I think he's got a much clearer path to being an impact player on his club and has more of an edge to him but.... he's also younger and thus has likely more growing pains ahead and on a way worse team which hurts +/- a lot.

Any opinions on their upside and production over the next few seasons?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Kyrou or Cozens

I guess it depends on how patient you want to be. Long term, I prefer Cozens but it might take a couple seasons before he gets to the level he needs to be to pass Kyrou's production. I think a lot will depend on what the Sabres end up doing with Eichel and if he goes, who they get back as well.

I prefer Cozen's upside to Kyrou's.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

For 2-3 years it's Kyrou for me. Already playing and producing on a STL team that will need him to produce for team success. They expect him to take a step forward and I think they will give him more PP time and TOI. With all the present uncertainty in Buffalo I have no faith that they will get things fixed within that timeframe. So for me it's easy, Kyrou for 2-3 years.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Star

Next 2-3 years is Kyrou, with Cozens being the better longer-term asset. In a league with plus minus, Cozens is probably going to be an anchor for the next couple years.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Well so far we are all agreed. Kyrou is well along his development curve and has progressed with that. Cozens, who knows at this point? I'd suggest it may take two to three years before Cozens may be a better fantasy option than Kyrou. I also agree that Cozens likely has the higher upside but I'm a bit more concerned about him getting there than I am with Kyrou. I have to be honest, the train wreck that is the Buffalo Sabres concerns me. When you have players like Eichel and Hall wanting out of there bad, well that speaks volumes about that franchise. I like Kyrou's development environment way more than Cozens. I'm not agonizing over this decision, keep Kyrou.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Icon

Kyrou for both short-term and long-term

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks guys, seem like Kyrou is the consensus decision. I love him but I do wonder about his upside with such a deep St.Louis team. Any point projections for the next few years? Does he have 70+ potential in him?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by iglooinhabitant View Post
    Thanks guys, seem like Kyrou is the consensus decision. I love him but I do wonder about his upside with such a deep St.Louis team. Any point projections for the next few years? Does he have 70+ potential in him?
    Potential? Sure. Realistically, he wont sniff 70pts. If you go back through the past decade +, they Blues have had one 70pt guy each season and that was usually Tarasenko. They play a system that rarely allows for that much offense from one guy, let alone a guy like Kyrou who wont be a focal point in their offense. 50-60pts most seasons seems more realistic.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Potential for 70+ points? Not sure because of the style the Blues play like Axe said. 60 points is doable and realistic. With better line mates and an improved offensive system he could see his numbers increase. No idea when that happens.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Initiate

When Dylan Cozens was playing on the top line with top wingers he produced 7 points in 8 games. I say Cozens. Kid had the best WJC U20 numbers out of any Canadian kid in the past 10 years since Brayden Schenn. With Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart's future up in the air with the Buffalo Sabres, don't be surprised if the Workhorse from Whitehorse's progression is sped up... Point is this kid has been phenomenal at every level. To playing with men at age 12, to capturing WHL Rookie of the Year honours at age 16, to killing it in his Draft year and again in his Draft +1 year. Should have been credited for 2 assists he got in that first World Junior game at his first trip to the WJC, yet somehow wasn't despite being the 2nd last guy in on the play and removed from the puck. So his stat line should read 27 points in 14 games vs. 25. Even TSN recorded those 2 assists that day, yet the IIHF didn't. Still bothers me to this day! DAMN YOU IIHF and your spotty stat tracking system!!!

He sticks up for himself (when Ryan Lindgren tried getting in his face roughing him up, he landed a bunch of punches in response), which shows drive and balls. He came to the rescue of a linemate (Drake Caggiula) being driven into the boards by fighting Kevin Rooney. No other Buffalo Sabre showed that kind of conviction and heart like Dylan did this past season. Minus when Linus Ullmark played out of his mind after learning about his father's passing.

Why does the above paragraph mention matter? It matters because it shows a kid who is willing to do anything for his team to make an impact and show his coach why he should get played and even one day wear a Letter on his chest. He literally became a fan favourite over night. People in Buffalo are demanding he becomes the future "C" because unlike their current captain (who I am a fan of), he hasn't responded like that. Not in a long time. Playing hurt or not, Dylan has a bit of a mean streak and "take no guff" in his game. Yeah, I know what I said! I take no guff either, so I don't care what people think.

The combination of his highly underrated shot, size, and speed, combined with his hockey IQ, and tenacity to do whatever it takes to get noticed, but also do it, because it's the right and necessary thing to do in the moment (to police), because the NHL sometimes does a crap job of it... gives me the feeling he'll be the better player of the two. Kid's development and trajectory has always trended up. As a 19-20 year draft+2 prospect, put in a situation to succeed he looked like a star out there. Yeah, Jordan Kyrou maybe the better option for now, but in a keeper league where years bleed into each other, I'll always go for the kid that I believe has the bigger upside.

And player being a Sabre be dammed, I believe that's the Workhorse from Whitehorse. His commitment to his game, the details, (and working on improving) is up there with the best. Kid is a beast!
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Initiate

So while the others are not wrong, Kyrou might be closer to impacting your team with those much needed fantasy points, Cozens isn't far behind, and I like the upside more on the Sabre end. Take my move in getting Perfetti for Meier as an example. Yeah I might take a hit up front, but the long term will pay dividends for me. I know for a fact when Cole breaks out, there is no way I am getting him for Timo-Time. Get your man now while he's cheaper.

Patience is a virtue and all that jazz. *Jazz hands* C'mon, now do it with me!
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    When Dylan Cozens was playing on the top line with top wingers he produced 7 points in 8 games. I say Cozens. Kid had the best WJC U20 numbers out of any Canadian kid in the past 10 years since Brayden Schenn. With Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart's future up in the air with the Buffalo Sabres, don't be surprised if the Workhorse from Whitehorse's progression is sped up... Point is this kid has been phenomenal at every level. To playing with men at age 12, to capturing WHL Rookie ofA the Year honours at age 16, to killing it in his Draft year and again in his Draft +1 year. Should have been credited for 2 assists he got in that first World Junior game at his first trip to the WJC, yet somehow wasn't despite being the 2nd last guy in on the play and removed from the puck. So his stat line should read 27 points in 14 games vs. 25. Even TSN recorded those 2 assists that day, yet the IIHF didn't. Still bothers me to this day! DAMN YOU IIHF and your spotty stat tracking system!!!

He sticks up for himself (when Ryan Lindgren tried getting in his face roughing him up, he landed a bunch of punches in response), which shows drive and balls. He came to the rescue of a linemate (Drake Caggiula) being driven into the boards by fighting Kevin Rooney. No other Buffalo Sabre showed that kind of conviction and heart like Dylan did this past season. Minus when Linus Ullmark played out of his mind after learning about his father's passing.

Why does the above paragraph mention matter? It matters because it shows a kid who is willing to do anything for his team to make an impact and show his coach why he should get played and even one day wear a Letter on his chest. He literally became a fan favourite over night. People in Buffalo are demanding he becomes the future "C" because unlike their current captain (who I am a fan of), he hasn't responded like that. Not in a long time. Playing hurt or not, Dylan has a bit of a mean streak and "take no guff" in his game. Yeah, I know what I said! I take no guff either, so I don't care what people think.

The combination of his highly underrated shot, size, and speed, combined with his hockey IQ, and tenacity to do whatever it takes to get noticed, but also do it, because it's the right and necessary thing to do in the moment (to police), because the NHL sometimes does a crap job of it... gives me the feeling he'll be the better player of the two. Kid's development and trajectory has always trended up. As a 19-20 year draft+2 prospect, put in a situation to succeed he looked like a star out there. Yeah, Jordan Kyrou maybe the better option for now, but in a keeper league where years bleed into each other, I'll always go for the kid that I believe has the bigger upside.

And player being a Sabre be dammed, I believe that's the Workhorse from Whitehorse. His commitment to his game, the details, (and working on improving) is up there with the best. Kid is a beast!

Dylan's dad, is that you? Haha love the response man. Thanks so much for the input!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I've decided that I'm never gonna touch a BUF player ever again
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    I've decided that I'm never gonna touch a BUF player ever again
    Im kinda like that with Nashville forwards LOL!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Im kinda like that with Nashville forwards LOL!
    Oh I have whole list of "Do not touch!"
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)