Thread: Going to be that annoying poster, but what's Thomas Bordeleau's upside?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Going to be that annoying poster, but what's Thomas Bordeleau's upside?

Love to hear what you guys think.

You can all twack me on the way out.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Going to be that annoying poster, but what's Thomas Bordeleau's upside?

He had a fantastic rookie season playing on a relatively young Michigan team. A lot of kids there. The Sharks need offense and their wings aren't overly deep with skill so hes got a shot. At 5'9", I dont think he'll be a center in the NHL, assuming he gets there. He's never really been a big goal scorer so he will project to be more of a setup type guy.

I dont like to project points but if I had to guess, I can see him as a top-six guy who should/could get 50-60pts. He doesnt come across as a "stud" but a steady type guy if I had to use my crystal ball.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Going to be that annoying poster, but what's Thomas Bordeleau's upside?

Axeman, you're almost at 45,000 posts you crazy bastid! hehe Love it! Apparently I have a lot of catching up to do. I was surprised I joined this group in 2009 and I have had 230 of my 233 posts in the last few months. haha

Dobber Sports Initiate

Damn, this died fast.

Dobber Sports Sage

45,000 posts!! good god. I just hit 1k lmao.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Star

I think he's a Jean-Gabriel Pageau kind of player. 2nd line on a weak time, 3rd line on a normal/strong team, helpful in many things but lacking difference-making skill.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    I think he's a Jean-Gabriel Pageau kind of player. 2nd line on a weak time, 3rd line on a normal/strong team, helpful in many things but lacking difference-making skill.
    Have you watch him play? Eye-test sees some very good skill. Best player on a deep Michegan team with 3 potential top 10 1st rounders this year. His passing and his shot are pretty good. Definitely looks like his skillset could work well in today's NHL. His Draft+1 production in College was better than Johnny Gaudreau and Cole Caufield. Not that Jean-Gabriel Pageau is a bad player to be compared to. Guy is having an amazing playoffs.

I just not sure I see him as a third liner. But yeah, middle-sixer right now isn't bad for a guy who went in the second round. Be interesting to see what he does in his Draft +2 year. Guy has some flashy moves.

Also thank you for your response. I still need to figure out how to rep people.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    Have you watch him play? Eye-test sees some very good skill. Best player on a deep Michegan team with 3 potential top 10 1st rounders this year. His passing and his shot are pretty good. Definitely looks like his skillset could work well in today's NHL. His Draft+1 production in College was better than Johnny Gaudreau and Cole Caufield. Not that Jean-Gabriel Pageau is a bad player to be compared to. Guy is having an amazing playoffs.

I just not sure I see him as a third liner. But yeah, middle-sixer right now isn't bad for a guy who went in the second round. Be interesting to see what he does in his Draft +2 year. Guy has some flashy moves.

Also thank you for your response. I still need to figure out how to rep people.
    Do you see the thing that looks like a Sherriffs badge under your signature? Right beside the "IP" icon. That's your rep option.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks bud. Repped you.

Dobber Sports Star

The things I worry about with Bordeleau are size and the fact that just about all the other offensive players with whom he played were or are going to be drafted higher than he will. Not that draft position correlates directly with NHL fantasy production, but I have my doubts as to whether Bordeleau is the one making others better or if he is being elevated by his teammates. I don't think his size should be a factor, but I worry that NHL coaches will make it a factor. Having all that talent in one place makes prognostication a little more difficult, like when an entire defensive line in football is supposed to be good but really it is 1 or 2 exceptional players and guys who coast off the play of their linemates.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    The things I worry about with Bordeleau are size and the fact that just about all the other offensive players with whom he played were or are going to be drafted higher than he will. Not that draft position correlates directly with NHL fantasy production, but I have my doubts as to whether Bordeleau is the one making others better or if he is being elevated by his teammates. I don't think his size should be a factor, but I worry that NHL coaches will make it a factor. Having all that talent in one place makes prognostication a little more difficult, like when an entire defensive line in football is supposed to be good but really it is 1 or 2 exceptional players and guys who coast off the play of their linemates.
    They are also being taken in a much weaker draft (that had prospects with no OHL season and a WHL season that played under 30 games), a year where your future phenom picks like Shane Wright's crucial development is hurt by missing a year. In a redraft Thomas Bordeleau would go in the 1st round. As it is he just went outside of the 1st at 38th overall, again and can't repeat this enough, in a very deep draft. Doesn't matter where a guy is taken as you said... take the 2011 Draft as an example, Nikita Kucherov went in the second round and Johnny Gaudreau went in the 4th round. Also it's easier to draft a kid who's bigger putting up good numbers in a college league with men vs. the smaller player playing in the USHL where you're playing with boys.

Who cares where his linemates go... he led a very good Michegan team in scoring. To score 30 points in 24 games as a draft +1 year 18-year-old is pretty impressive. Like I said, he's put up better production than both Gaudreau and Cole Caufield in their Draft +1 years and both are highly touted, one is a proven NHL star/superstar (6 time NHL All-Star) and the other just won the Hobey Baker and is looking like a sure-fire bet to become an NHL star. And as for size, he's bigger than Johnny Hockey and Goal Caufield and right around Cole Perfetti's size and he went 10th overall. Many scouts had him ranked in the top 5. I guess it comes down to league, who you play with, and what scouts (and how many) have eyes on you. And how big you were at the time. Did you know Johnny Hockey was 5'6" and 132 lbs when he was drafted? He's now 5'9" and 159 lbs. 3 inches and 30 lbs makes a world of difference. So size can definitely impact where a team takes a player. Be interesting to know how big Bordeleau was and if he's still growing. I didn't stop growing until I was 21. It does happen. Some of us are late bloomers. Also, some players break out later like your Johnny's and your Nikita's. Putting up just under a point-per-game for the U18 USDP program isn't as impressive as putting up 1.25 PPG as a College freshman.

And if it wasn't for his roommate John Beecher testing positive for COVID-19, he may have played onto Team USA's U20 WJC top-six as the 2LC helping that team capture Gold.

Dobber Sports Initiate

So an update: Thomas Bordeleau was the best player in the WJC Summer Showcase in the game between the USA and Finland. He scored a goal and added two assists. I didn't get to watch the game, but I heard he was a stand out and did see a highlight of Luke Tuch's goal, the first for the US in a 4-3 loss at the hands of Finland. He doesn't get that goal with the insane play of Bordeleau outworking 3 Fin skaters, and weaving in and out, dishing out a nifty backhand pass to a streaking Tuch. No, Tuch wasn't naked silly billies. I mean he skated in on goal, he was open from the left side gutterheads.

But seriously, this kid looks great in a lot of the highlights I have watched. He has some good speed, can be quite evasive, and be very deft at fooling the defenders in which lane he's taking. His ability to thread passes in tight spaces reminds me a lot of Johnny Hockey, with maybe a quicker step or two.

Let's come back to this, but I am eyeing a Hobey Baker-isque sophomoric season given how deep Michigan will be, as they'll add Luke Hughes to the equation... He'll be front line center as the 1LC putting up what I believe will be 50-plus points, and perhaps a late season signing ala a Cole Caufield or Shane Pinto, and give the Sharks a small sample size of what he can do in the best hockey league in the world this Spring. That's my prediction.

I am feeling another future star in the making. Born in the same year as the 1st, 2nd, and 5th overall picks in this past season's draft, leading the U18 USDP in scoring, and then leading a deep Michigan team in scoring as a Draft+1 player. The sky is the limit for this kid.

Forgot where the link to his NCAA highlights are (I did watch them) and they are eye popping, mouth to the floor dropping insane, but his Draft year highlights will have to do for now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YBvsR-KURc