Thread: 2nd for 7th and 8th in a rookie draft

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default 2nd for 7th and 8th in a rookie draft

Is this a good deal?

I keep hearing that picks 1 to 8/9 are in the same tier but is giving up Power/Beniers for two of the later guys worth it?

Settings in sig
    16 Team, H2H Dynasty Cap 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G, 3B, 10 Minor - Scoring G / A / P / PPP / SOG / Hit / Blk / TOISH - W / GAA / SV / SV%
    Forwards: Gaudreau, Barzal, Beniers, Raymond, Trocheck, Byfield, Quinn, Couturier, Chytil, Crouse, Farabee, Rasmussen, Podkolzin, Monahan, Killorn
    Defence: Sergachev, McAvoy, Sanderson, Hronek, McCabe, Broberg
    Goalie: Demko, Merzlikins, Schmid
    F Minors: McTavish, Eklund, Sillinger, Nazar, Kasper, Lekkerimaki, Ostlund
    D Minors: Edvinsson
    G Minors: Askarov, Cossa
    Picks: 2023 1.01, 1.14

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: 2nd for 7th and 8th in a rookie draft

First of all Powers is a big body D who in my opinion will take very long time to be impactful...may never be a great fantasy asset...

Beniers to me is Jordan stahl type of player...so again may not be great fantasy asset...

there are several players from 2-10 that have much larger fantasy upside in my opinion but also have lower floors.

so I would jump all over that trade and hope that others have same players at the top that u have
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would absolutely take that deal

Dobber Sports Pro

I would do that deal this year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Totally agree with Belexus's take. Do the trade.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'd swing.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Hullofafan View Post
    Totally agree with Belexus's take. Do the trade.
    I would have agreed with this a few weeks ago. Now, I'm not so sure. If anyone watched the WHC I would suggest that you had to be impressed with this 18 year old kids body of work in that tournament. Clearly, head coach Gallant was. Power logged big minutes in key situations throughout the Gold medal game and was strong in his own end, easily skated the puck out of trouble, led a few rushes and was not afraid to jump into the play. We are talking an 18 year old in a man's tournament, not the WJC. He was very noticeable while others, like Perfetti for example, were not. Maybe it's just me, but I was extremely impressed! If there is a guy I want out of this years crop of rookies it's Power. He is currently ranked first in a number of rankings although not all. IF, I need to draft a D Man more so than a F, then I'm inclined to hold my 2nd overall and hope Power falls to me. Although there is no guarantee that that happens. So, just something to think about, I'll be interested to hear what others think. Certainly this is a good deal for you if your not sold on Power or any of the others at the top of the rankings, which may well be the case.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Agree w/others.
    Belexus is in a league with me... and I agree with his take.
    I have a #3 pick in that league... and it's a major wildcard for me if I will feel confident my pick at #3 vs. what could fall to me at #8 or #9 or #10.

In a deep keeper/dynasty, starting 12F/6D with 14+ teams...
    Depth of assets is important... and I think there will be solid players at 8/9 that will still put up 80%-90% of the production of whoever goes at #2.

I mean.. who DOES go at #2?
    I mean... who GOES at #1? (How long can fantasy GMs wait on Power... maybe he has Hedman upside, but Hedman took 4-6 years to start to show it.)

Tough call... take the 8/9.

Dobber Sports Icon

Historically speaking, the 2nd overall pick is worth 12.3 GSVA while 7 is worth 7.1 and 8 is 6.7. Based on that and the fact that most people will have no clue who's being picked in the top 10 let alone in what order to pick them, I would make this deal.

I also really doubt that the Seattle Kraken take Beniers at number 2.

https://theathletic.com/1798463/2020...-a-draft-pick/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Good post.
    In fairness, those numbers are applicable to a 30/31/32-team NHL, with some "benchmark" value of player as 0.0

In fantasy leagues, there is some other "benchmark" based on where the league's cut-off is. (Fantasy Hockey Geek is a really awesome tool for getting help with this, for those that need it.)
    So in a shallower fantasy league, benchmark might be 1.2... or 3.0... depends on where that league's last counting/valued/owned player is at.

FHG and I once discussed this as the "relative zero" point. (Critical in doing the math)

In a 12-team 6F/4D/2G league, there's only 72F/48D/24G in play that are starters and really counting.
    There's no way I would trade a #2 for a #7/#8 in shallower league like that, especially in a typical year.

(Last year, this trade would've clearly been something like Byfield for two of Quinn/Jarvis/Lundell (assuming most D have little fantasy value).
    I certainly would've preferred Byfield if that was the condition.

But... it's good sign that most of us are on the same page with how we understand value in this 2021 draft... for fantasy hockey.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^Good post.

But... it's good sign that most of us are on the same page with how we understand value in this 2021 draft... for fantasy hockey.
    Agreed!