Thread: Matthew Tkachuk for Marco Rossi

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Matthew Tkachuk for Marco Rossi

League is a very deep (50 contracts + minors) salary cap 10 man dynasty league. Points only.

I won the league this past year, it was pretty close but acquiring Patty Kane just before the trade deadline was key.

I potentially have a Matthew Tkachuk for Marco Rossi trade on the table. I’m super high on Rossi and tried very hard to get the 5th overall pick in our last year’s draft to pick him myself but failed.

I think the fact that I won (first championship in any fantasy league that I’ve been a part of ever over the last decade), I’m more willing to tinker and play around with my roster a bit. Plus I could use a young center as my center core is aging.

We roster 20 with a bench of 3 (4 center, 8 wingers, 6 defenders, 2 goalies)

My main roster currently looks something like this…

C: Backstrom, Malkin, O’Reilly, William Karlsson (Courture as a spare)
    W: Rantanen, Debrincat, Jason Robertson, Stamkos, Patrick Kane, Marchessault, Bjorkstrand, M. Tkachuk, (Garland as a spare)
    D: Carlson, Hedman, Josi, Hamilton, Klingberg, Boqvist (Ristolainen and Pulock as spares)
    G: Varlamov, Andersen, Kahkonen, Vanecek, Murray

Trading Tkachuk would swap in Garland, but I’ll still probably need to go out and find a suitable winger or two as backup.

I know the risks on Rossi with his troubles with covid this past year but this league requires you to always be looking ahead.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Matthew Tkachuk for Marco Rossi

i been on Rossi train for about 2 full years now and i firmly believed that he has more than 50% chance to be PPG player or better. However he got hurt with COVID and while they say he will fully recover we really dont know if any of this will slow his development.

So i would temper my expectation and plan for about 60 points player as for sure and then anything on top is gravy.

Tkachuk is already there..could be reaching 70s....so i dont know..i think at worst you maybe close ....to the same production...if you get lucky it could benefit you but i dont think you win this for next 2-3 years.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Genius

Looking at your team it seems as if you have the horses to contend and possibly repeat. Tkachuk will help you do this. I like Rossi but he won’t help for at least 2 years. Yes some players are older horses but should be good enough to try again. Backstrom is a concern as is Malkin, but I like your wingers and D. Varly will lose some more starts to Sorokin. If you are to deal Tkachuk or a winger it would be to get a younger C that could help you now. Good luck!
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Initiate

Going to have people say WTF Eli26, you argued yourself as to why making the move for Cole Perfetti an unproven prospect over a proven top-six NHLer like Timo Meier is a good idea, and now you're saying trading Matthew Tkachuk to get Marco Rossi is a horrible move... say what you crazy Canucklehead?! While Rossi has tremendous upside, so does Chucky. And Tkachuk is more proven. Also he checks all the boxes, as in goals, points, hits, and penalty minutes. He's also very young. The thing about Perfecti :P is he's closer (22 points in his last 22 AHL games), and his IQ IMO is better than Rossi's, where as Chucky's IQ is much better than Meier's.

The point is, don't do the deal unless you're the guy getting Matthew Tkachuk! Also, as of the last 16 games his linemates were Johnny Gaudreau and Elias Lindholm. And when Johnny is on, and he was during those 16 games, he had 22 points, good for a 100 point prorate and on par to his 18/19 season. That's a good linemate to have. So for the love of Pete and all that is good, don't do it!
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Are there CAP implications here that you haven't mentioned? If so, then this deal might make sense, move a bigger contract for an ELC to stay CAP compliant. However, if that is not the case, then this is just not a good idea. Simple as that, and all the reasons have already been discussed. As a last point, you mention getting a bit younger. Tkachuk is 23 years old! If you want to get younger, then move a guy like Backstrom, not a blue chip NHLer who hasn't even hit his prime yet.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks everyone, all very solid replies.

I won’t be moving Tkachuk, I think I just had roses tinted glasses on knowing Rossi might be available.

Dobber Sports Icon

If Rossi is available, now would be a good time to get him since his value likely will never be lower. With that said, Tkachuk is too high of a price to pay for a guy who has been unable to skate due to an illness that no one knows how he will ever recover. If Rossi was returning from a physical injury with many previous cases of players returning to their full ability, this deal would be a bit more appealing but the fact that Rossi was unable to do any physical activity for 6+ months means giving up a team's best player is too much.

Dobber Sports Pro

I think going for Rossi is a good idea, but NOT at the cost of Chucky. If you can get the other GM thinking about a trade which would cost less, check back with us to see if it's a good deal!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk