Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Canada - New National Holiday

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Canada - New National Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Do we? Actively? How much time do you dedicate to each of these celebrations that's actually concentrated on the topic? Aside from family day (that's an easy one, most people spend time with their family every day anyway).

Maybe some small percentage of people actually do in some way, but most don't. It's a nice thought but I think it's overly idealistic and not at all in line with reality.
    I think by putting it in September the aim is probably centered a lot around children. School's themselves will be a lot more involved in dedicating time to the topic than just another holiday at home. We will see how it progresses I guess.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I’m sorry you feel this way. I believe most Canadians are proud to be Canadians and truly celebrate Canada Day. A large percentage of our population celebrate the reasons and teachings behind Good Friday, Easter & Christmas regardless of religious denomination. Cheers
    i celebrate all of these holidays. And I also head to the local Remembrance Day service every Remembrance Day. And will watch a recording of the one in Ottawa with the family.

and yes I am likely in the minority. But for celebrating the meaning behind this new holiday, it will likely be a small minority that observe the true reasons for it.

we live in a selfish society and most will not care about anything other then the day off work.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Steps forward are positive. And I see this as a step forward.

In all honesty, the thought of these 215 kids (and counting likely) really rocked me to my core. I’ll admit, I was completely ignorant to the issue and existence of the residential schools. I simply had no idea.

But when this news hit, it sparked a bit of a fire in me. To think that this atrocity could happen on Canadian Soil. A gut shot when I tried to disassociate these acts with the thoughts of Nazi Germany…

I watched the moment of silence to pay respects prior to the hockey game I was eager to watch, then found myself feeling guilty when the young lady began signing O’Canada, thinking to myself… how can I possibly celebrate Canada in that moment following the silence. I felt a little anger and bewilderment bubble up. I looked at my kids and that mixed in a little heart brake, dismay and shame as a Canadian.

I hated feeling that way. I hated having something substantial enough to challenge my desire to be loud and proud a Canadian.

Then I eventually had a eureka moment. What I was feeling, all of it mixed together… what was leading me to lower my voice when saying Oh Canada, that was and is the stimulus to Change. To open my eyes and mind to the issues that took Place, are still taking place) and Demand change from our Governing leaders to start to make right the wrongs inflicted on generations and to shine a light on our Country’s past, to make us all accountable as Canadians so that I can once again be loudly and proudly a Canadian.

Figured I’d get that share off my chest.

I do spend the better part of the day consciously doing extra family stuff on family day we wouldn’t normally do.
    I do hold Remembrance Day as an honoured occasion and attend our local service annually
    I celebrate the Life of my Dog’s passing every year, just me and my new Dog (my own annual vacation day)
    I have been engaged with the fight against racism and Understand why “Black Lives Matter” and have read books on the subject and let myself be vulnerable (uncomfortable discussions with a black man was a great and enlightening book for me)
    And I most certainly will commit to learning more about Canada’s aboriginal past and present with an honoured holiday such as this. I applaud!

Proud to be in the minority if I am, and I challenge all Canadian’s to commit to learning more about this subject right now, but a dedicated holiday is a suitable and annual trigger to raise and maintain awareness.

Great first step!

Dobber Sports Stud

Well said HB21, well said.

I felt many of the same emotions as you following news of the discovery of the 215 remains. These same emotions came up during the national anthem of a highly anticipated hockey game after the news broke.

I have heard of the residential schools in the past, how the government took children away from their families and tried to take "the Indian" out of these innocent children. But I never heard of the atrocities that took place in these schools until Gord Downey of the Hip put a spotlight on it before he passed.

Although it is a dark time in our history that lasted over 100 years, it should be mandated to be taught in all schools across Canada, beginning in Grade 9.

I believe a national holiday will force us to always remember we can and should do better and we are not as great as we think we are.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Steps forward are positive. And I see this as a step forward.

In all honesty, the thought of these 215 kids (and counting likely) really rocked me to my core. I’ll admit, I was completely ignorant to the issue and existence of the residential schools. I simply had no idea.
    Same here, my friend.... In fact, all of the shenanigans that the Canadian Government did to the natives this century I was oblivious to. It makes me sympathetic to their issues. I honestly had no idea. Figured tht it was just crap the Government did 150-200 years ago and then it all stopped..... It looks the the Education system failed me!

I find it a little enraging though that this topic is front page news (and justifiably so) - and it is the (forgive the jargon) "flavour of the week". It's new, it's popular, it's something to talk about around the water cooler at work. Based on that, how fast the Government made a move (likely for votes) to expedite and make this Holiday. Again, I can't stress enough how sad this this happened here - in my country! This is Canada!

Anything else that's pressing, but not as noteworthy? Moves thru the hypocritical, bureaucratic process, taking months, or years to get action.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Master

The first nation kids in my catholic school system in the mid 1970's / early 1980's (small city northern ont.) werent treated very well either . Some would get held back a grade more than once between grade 1 - 8 . I suspect this went on for decades before and after my elementary school years so this goes way beyond the residential schools

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Genuinely curious: what is the intended purpose?

the objective is to create a chance for Canadians to learn about and reflect on a dark chapter in their country’s history and to commemorate the survivors, their families and their communities, as called for by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and Indigenous leaders

Is that a serious objective? Do people sit around and reflect about specific topics on other holidays? Or any day? What does that even look like? Is this a real thing that I'm supposed to be doing?
    Do we? Actively? How much time do you dedicate to each of these celebrations that's actually concentrated on the topic? Aside from family day (that's an easy one, most people spend time with their family every day anyway).

Maybe some small percentage of people actually do in some way, but most don't. It's a nice thought but I think it's overly idealistic and not at all in line with reality.
    Right so as I said, many people (including apparently you) do not use these holidays for their intended purpose (specifically Remembrance Day), and for people like that the will also not use this holiday for it's intended purpose. It is what it is. However thank you for confirming my original post.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
    Same here, my friend.... In fact, all of the shenanigans that the Canadian Government did to the natives this century
    Residential schools first opened in the region now known in Canada in the 1830s. The last one was closed in 1996.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    What's orange shirt day for?
    Orange shirt day is a day of recognition for residential schools where all the kids in the school where an orange shirts often with quotes or sayings along the lines of "every child matters". At least where I live the school boards all participate and encourage it as well as discussion. Seems like by making it a stat holiday, you are taking kids out of the classroom for one of the few days entirely focused on education regarding residential schools. hopefully they just shift the date or encourage "orange shirts" elsewhere during the year.
    2023 Champ
    11 Teams - 24 player rosters - 12 Keepers (max 2 goalies)
    Yahoo rotisserie - 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN ,2IR
    G, A, PPP, SHP, HITS, +-, PIM, BK, GS, W,GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Lindholm, Stephenson, Norris
    LW: Robertson,
    Fiala, Bertuzzi, Boldy,
    RW: Miller, Tarasenko, Seguin, Ehlers
    D: Hamilton, Karlsson,
    Bouchard, Nurse, Dobson, Larsson
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin
    B: Husso, Tippett, McCabe, TT.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Probably be like Remembrance Day in schools where they have a ceremony etc on the day before the day off. It works fine.

Dobber Sports Titan

Gov't got caught, this is their attempt at looking better. JT also called for the Catholic church to apologize for their role, to try and deflect some of the blame away from the Canadian gov't. But moving forward, solid tool to use to educate youth and they'll bring homework home that'll help educate some of the parents.

Moving forward, it's a nice gesture. But it's only because they got caught, and how much will the Canadian education system actually teach on the subject is where it matters. TV won't be showing movies or documentaries on the subject every yr on the history channel and there won't be as much media recognition outside of the first yr or two is my guess. I'd love to have a well produce documentary on residential schools. I just don't see it happening for Canada.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wow, solid move Canada.
    Be nice if the US could follow suit for some of its own mis-steps over its history.

(I've long-loved, and dearly miss [being in the US these days], Canada's willingness for "Sorry".)

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Gov't got caught, this is their attempt at looking better. JT also called for the Catholic church to apologize for their role, to try and deflect some of the blame away from the Canadian gov't. But moving forward, solid tool to use to educate youth and they'll bring homework home that'll help educate some of the parents.

Moving forward, it's a nice gesture. But it's only because they got caught, and how much will the Canadian education system actually teach on the subject is where it matters. TV won't be showing movies or documentaries on the subject every yr on the history channel and there won't be as much media recognition outside of the first yr or two is my guess. I'd love to have a well produce documentary on residential schools. I just don't see it happening for Canada.
    How did the government "get caught"? This is not new news or a recent revelation, this is a situation and fact of history that has been with us for many decades. It just so happens that the recent Kamloops burial site story is triggering a more sustained public cry for answers and reconciliation. The government has (in its Conservative and Liberal iterations) has always recognized its role in the whole debacle even if it never always sounded sincere or hidden behind legal double speak. The whole Truth and Reconciliation commission was a 'thing' since 2008 and the findings were never kept hidden from the public or any level of government. No, its not like the Canadian government was caught red handed just last week, there has at least been some half hearted bi-partisan efforts for many years to get this out in the open. If anything it is the general Canadian public that has been complicit in their overall ignorance and disinterest all these years about this story. Maybe really change and acknowledgement will be more long lasting.

Lastly the Catholic church needs to atone for this in a big way, too much blood on their hands and ruined lives in their wake.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    How did the government "get caught"? This is not new news or a recent revelation, this is a situation and fact of history that has been with us for many decades. It just so happens that the recent Kamloops burial site story is triggering a more sustained public cry for answers and reconciliation. The government has (in its Conservative and Liberal iterations) has always recognized its role in the whole debacle even if it never always sounded sincere or hidden behind legal double speak. The whole Truth and Reconciliation commission was a 'thing' since 2008 and the findings were never kept hidden from the public or any level of government. No, its not like the Canadian government was caught red handed just last week, there has at least been some half hearted bi-partisan efforts for many years to get this out in the open. If anything it is the general Canadian public that has been complicit in their overall ignorance and disinterest all these years about this story. Maybe really change and acknowledgement will be more long lasting.

Lastly the Catholic church needs to atone for this in a big way, too much blood on their hands and ruined lives in their wake.
    "got caught" as in it got more than a small bit of news.

Liek you said, this is nothing new. This was known for decades, but they just now are like, "ok ya sorry from Canada, but you also gotta have the Catholic church to say sorry to because they were apart of it".
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    "got caught" as in it got more than a small bit of news.

Liek you said, this is nothing new. This was known for decades, but they just now are like, "ok ya sorry from Canada, but you also gotta have the Catholic church to say sorry to because they were apart of it".
    Yup. And I am guessing that Trudeau had this holiday planned for a while and was just waiting for some negative news like this. Pretty quick turnaround time from the news out in BC to the news of a new holiday.

Helps save face as I had heard lots of people discussing his old mans involvement in residential school system.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​