Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canada - New National Holiday

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Canada - New National Holiday

A bill creating a statutory holiday to commemorate the tragic legacy of residential schools in Canada received royal assent Thursday after passing unanimously in the Senate.
    The swift passage of Bill C-5 means Sept. 30 will become the first of what is to be an annual national day for truth and reconciliation.
    Canadians will get to enjoy a new national holiday on September 30th every year.

Canadian Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault says the objective is to create a chance for Canadians to learn about and reflect on a dark chapter in their country’s history and to commemorate the survivors, their families and their communities, as called for by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and Indigenous leaders.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Canada - New National Holiday

This seems to have been long overdue.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm certainly in support of the cause, and agree with Godin. However much like Memorial/Remembrance Day and the like, I'm skeptical many Canadians will use it for it's intended purpose.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I like that it is during the school year and will hopefully prompt some important discussions in the classroom leading up to the holiday.
    That said, for the same reasons, I wish they hadn't done it on orange shirt day which my kids participate in and enjoy.

edit: I didn't read the article etc and have no idea if they will move the latter. these are just my initial thoughts

Dobber Sports Genius

Not that it matters, but it's a Thursday this year.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by COLT.45 View Post
    I like that it is during the school year and will hopefully prompt some important discussions in the classroom leading up to the holiday.
    That said, for the same reasons, I wish they hadn't done it on orange shirt day which my kids participate in and enjoy.

edit: I didn't read the article etc and have no idea if they will move the latter. these are just my initial thoughts
    What's orange shirt day for?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I'm certainly in support of the cause, and agree with Godin. However much like Memorial/Remembrance Day and the like, I'm skeptical many Canadians will use it for it's intended purpose.
    Agreed. It is hard to say which is better. It needs recognition and without making it a statutory holiday it does not seem all that important.
    However making it a day off means the meaning may be forgotten, especially when it falls on a Friday-Monday to create a long-weekend.

Overall I guess statutory holiday is better than not, agreed smart to make it during and early in the school year.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

This is such a small start.
    In Ontario ALONE there is still 44 Long term drinking water advisories in 26 first nation communities.
    Some of the long term advisories were standing for near 20 years! - For a basic human need.
    I'm going out here to say that had these been predominantly white communities these would have been taken care of long ago.

There has been progress in recent years, but the fact it's taken so long is pathetic.

I can't say, in good conscience, we aren't a racist country when I see shit like this.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quite true, however we can all lead by example. Cheers
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Strome, Haula
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Svechnikov-RW/LW, Hathaway
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Benoit, Schneider, Burroughs
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Star

Genuinely curious: what is the intended purpose?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Genuinely curious: what is the intended purpose?
    Re-read the first post
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Re-read the first post

the objective is to create a chance for Canadians to learn about and reflect on a dark chapter in their country’s history and to commemorate the survivors, their families and their communities, as called for by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and Indigenous leaders

Is that a serious objective? Do people sit around and reflect about specific topics on other holidays? Or any day? What does that even look like? Is this a real thing that I'm supposed to be doing?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

the objective is to create a chance for Canadians to learn about and reflect on a dark chapter in their country’s history and to commemorate the survivors, their families and their communities, as called for by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and Indigenous leaders

Is that a serious objective? Do people sit around and reflect about specific topics on other holidays? Or any day? What does that even look like? Is this a real thing that I'm supposed to be doing?
    On Remebrance Day? We honour those that fought for our freedom. Remembrance Day services on TV and live in communities.

On Family Day? We spend time with our families

on Canada Day? We celebrate our country.

Good Friday and Easter? We celebrate the death and resurrection.

Christmas? We celebrate the birth.

What are some things we can do on this new holiday? Maybe nothing as specific as the above yet, but I am sure there will be options arise. Maybe there will be special services? Maybe there will be informative television specials? Maybe we can do research and learn? Maybe there will be special activities like in Canada day that help us learn. Lots of options!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    On Remebrance Day? We honour those that fought for our freedom. Remembrance Day services on TV and live in communities.

On Family Day? We spend time with our families

on Canada Day? We celebrate our country.

Good Friday and Easter? We celebrate the death and resurrection.

Christmas? We celebrate the birth.

What are some things we can do on this new holiday? Maybe nothing as specific as the above yet, but I am sure there will be options arise. Maybe there will be special services? Maybe there will be informative television specials? Maybe we can do research and learn? Maybe there will be special activities like in Canada day that help us learn. Lots of options!
    Do we? Actively? How much time do you dedicate to each of these celebrations that's actually concentrated on the topic? Aside from family day (that's an easy one, most people spend time with their family every day anyway).

Maybe some small percentage of people actually do in some way, but most don't. It's a nice thought but I think it's overly idealistic and not at all in line with reality.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Do we? Actively? How much time do you dedicate to each of these celebrations that's actually concentrated on the topic? Aside from family day (that's an easy one, most people spend time with their family every day anyway).

Maybe some small percentage of people actually do in some way, but most don't. It's a nice thought but I think it's overly idealistic and not at all in line with reality.
    I’m sorry you feel this way. I believe most Canadians are proud to be Canadians and truly celebrate Canada Day. A large percentage of our population celebrate the reasons and teachings behind Good Friday, Easter & Christmas regardless of religious denomination. Cheers
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Strome, Haula
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Svechnikov-RW/LW, Hathaway
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Benoit, Schneider, Burroughs
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White