Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Scheifele to be suspended?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Scheifele to be suspended?

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    All your arguing here is that the NHL poorly and inconsistently calls its own rules which we already know to be demonstrably true. This argument has no bearing on this particular play.
    that's my point entirely. how can you expect a player to stay within the lines of the game if those lines are always moving. so it does have bearing on this play. it's less than a second between when the puck leaves Evans' stick to contact with Scheifele. Regardless of his intent, he decided he was playing the body, which last time i checked, happens many many times each game and those generally go unpunished. he's not skating 200 ft just to hit Evans - he probably decides that the last couple of feet.

i'm not saying your stance on the hit isn't valid, but i think it's fairly obvious that the jury is split on it
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i also think hit was clean but i do think he was pissed, he knew puck is going into the net and he wanted revenge. Hit was clean but was absolutely unnecessary and intend was to hurt imo...

im a leaf fan and i dont defend him at all..but hit itself was legal, unless you look through habs glasses i guess
    First off... I love the fact that you're a fellow leaf fan. We're destined for loads of fun in the WHL.
    Second... I agree...kinda... in that I'd say that I don't think the hit was dirty. Clearly he was pissed and rightfully so, and the play/puck in the net wasn't so obvious that it would have justified him simply giving up (I say that as a Leaf Fan).

I saw him give it his all to try and beat Evans (A 4th line player) to the right side. Had he prevented the goal and the collision still took place, would it have been deemed just as preventable and/or just as dirty?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post

I saw him give it his all to try and beat Evans (A 4th line player) to the right side. Had he prevented the goal and the collision still took place, would it have been deemed just as preventable and/or just as dirty?
    What does this have to do with any of this?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by renello View Post
    No, I am not buying your argument on the whole, although it is well presented and you make good points. Scheifele was coming down the ice and the fact that he stopped skating is actually damning, keeping it a one goal game with a minute left was paramount. He stopped skating to line up for a hit with no intention to play the puck. You will never convince me he was playing the puck, his eyes were squarely on Evans the whole time. I don't think he was mad at Evan's in particular just frustrated and made a bad decision that he should pay a price of more than one game. Not up to me, see what the league does. One game wouldn't surprise me but I think 2 at the minimum would be better.
    Appreciate you sticking to your stance. However, it's the false knee jerk claims like "HE left his feet/targetted his head" which are factually false. He didn't leave the ice to deliver the hit. AND when you claim that "Scheif's eyes were squrely on Evans the entire time" ... pleased show me the video evidence that shows Mark's eyes. I see the back, even side of his head but have yet to see his eyes as he carry's out that play. I'm likely guilty of making such claims in the past and I'm trying my best not to actually state what was going on in Schief/Evans/'s head as if I know for sure, but unless you're seeing some angle that I've yet to see (and if you are, please share cause that would help me out), to claim his eyes were doing ANYTHING let alone zoned in on Evans doesn't hold water objectively.

I honestly don't care if he was mad at Evans or just mad at the result, or mad at all.

I saw two guys exercising their speed and Evans (who just as easily could have slammed on the brakes and doubled back to the other side of the net making Scheif look foolish) do everything in his power to score the goal which included turning into the path of a purusing Scheif. And how much time did Scheif have to slam on the brakes and/or simply bail out of the collision somehow (like Perry somehow having the time to avoid kneeing Tavares when he fell into his path).

Fast contact sports. This will happen.

But I WILL agree with you on this point, the decision is up to the DoPS and given the pages of posts here, clearly, that body's decisions in the past is likely the gasoline that will keep this fire burning.

Dobber Sports Sage

If you're looking at the entire play, as you insist should be done...

1) EVANS is racing up the left side chasing down the puck
    2) Mark is racing toward the right post, I can only assume was an effort to try and cut off the scoring chance.

at some point, it may have become apparent to Scheifele that Evans was going to beat him, or maybe his "never give up" attitude had him focused on trying to cut off that scoring chance which was close (and those 3 screen captures depict).

SO... when was he supposed to shift his mind set from trying to stop a goal vs addressing the fact that Evans is now in his path and a collision likely unavoidable?

the 1 or 2 seconds from screen grab 1 to screen grab 2 or 3? (or is it actually hundredths or thousands of a second?)

You're right Invictus, "Evans Turned (into scheifele's path) to score a freaking goal!" ... he got the goal and the collision happened while Schiefele appeared to be trying to prevent the goal.

High Speed contact sport. This shit happens and will continue to happen if you continue to watch Hockey. But only the players themselves know for sure I guess. Leaving us to speculate. I didn't see the collision as malicious, nor do I see that as the primary focus for Scheifele, but was most certainly the brutal end result from 2 guys trying to execute a hockey play.

Just my perspective which no one needs to agree with I guess.

Carry on.
    What a joke.
    You didn't see the collision as malice? I'm looking at the whole play, not just the specific hit.
    It was blatantly obvious even to Scheifele he wasn't going to stop the EN goal with a hit. The only reason to even lay a hit that big in that stage of game when it was apparent it was going to be a goal, was to injure. Malicious. And injure it did.
    It's uncalled for shit like this that needs to be removed from the game.
    So I think it should be 5-6 games. For more inline consistency though 3-4 games. Less then 3 I'd be unhappy with.

Not even an apology from Scheifele is pretty telling where his head is at. All my like for him has now transferred to Ehlers (I wasn't much of an Ehlers fan before).
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    What does this have to do with any of this?
    Great Question and glad you asked.

If I'm Mark Scheifele, seeing Evans pulling away, chasing down the puck and empty net, perhaps I'm giving a little more effort on my pursuit chasing down Evans thinking that I can definitely stop this kid from scoring than I would have if I saw Suzuki or a more elite offensive player on the Habs pulling away, of which I may have been more inclined to admit defeat. Who knows? I can't speak for Mark Scheifele, but if I had his talent and responsibility on MY back, I'm probably doing everything I can to stop Evans from scoring and believe that I can do so successfully ... Until which time the puck is over the line and I'm milliseconds away from colliding with Evans.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    What a joke.
    Wasn't trying to be funny... but thank you... I guess.

The Great One

joke
    /jōk/

INFORMAL
    a person or thing that is ridiculously inadequate.

I think he meant this definition...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

I submitted prematurely.
    There's a difference between a malicious play and a malicious hit is what I'm saying.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Sorry so your inference here is that one of the 100 best hockey players on the planet has slow processing power? That's quite a stance.
    I'm not entirely sure that was the stance he was taking, nor what he was inferring but I'll let 2014OG make his own claims.

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm not entirely sure that was the stance he was taking, nor what he was inferring but I'll let 2014OG make his own claims.
    My claim was people take a longer time to process information in real time than in slow mo after you've watched it a few times.

As a player you can be in the middle of doing a play and think "Ive made the wrong choice" but yuo continue making that wrong choice because its better than not doing anything.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I submitted prematurely.
    There's a difference between a malicious play and a malicious hit is what I'm saying.
    Ok, let's dig into that, if you don't mind. Cause I'm genuinely interested.

Help me understand, from your perspective, the difference between a Malicious Play vs a Malicious Hit. (As I write that, I think I understand some of what you're getting at but I am interested in how you apply either of those to this particular situation and I suspect you're referring to your earlier point challenging the reader to look at the entire play and not just the hit?)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Scheifele had a choice, play the puck or destroy the player. He chose to take out all his aggression on Evans because poor Mark was having a rough game. Welcome to the playoffs Mark! You will be hounded, you will be constantly poked, prodded and given no space. You chose to spazz out and make someone pay for your frustration. Well now poor little Marky will be suspended and the Jets will lose their best player. The Canadiens will be even more motivated. Selfish, how does this help your team win? What a pathetic player with no concept of what it takes to win a Stanley Cup.
    Salary Cap League - 13 Teams
    Cap: 83.5 Million
    Roster: 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 C, 2 Wing, 1 Forward, 4 D, 1 G, 5 Bench, 7 Farm
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

C: Crosby, Pavelski
    F: Mercer
    LW: Guentzel, Kaprizov
    RW: Kucherov, Marchessault
    W: E. Kane, Perron
    D: Q Hughes, Bouchard, Addison, Sandin
    G: Shesterkin
    Bench: Raanta, Rossi, Guhle, Garland

Farm: Soderstrom

Free Agents: Maccelli, Newhook, Gudas, Carrier, Kyrou, Gustafsson

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    My claim was people take a longer time to process information in real time than in slow mo after you've watched it a few times.

As a player you can be in the middle of doing a play and think "Ive made the wrong choice" but yuo continue making that wrong choice because its better than not doing anything.
    Ahhh. yes. thank you for expanding on that. Hindsight has the benefit of replay and frame by frame judgement.

I'll admit, when my wife called me over to see the hit, my knee jerk was "DAMN! Scheif, what did you do". It wasn't until I had a chance to watch it in slow motion did I start to change my tune. I'm no professional Hockey Player but as a fan, i saw several things happening on the replay that caused me to see it a bit different and/or at the very least, give Scheifele the benefit of the doubt (which, to date, I think he deserves as one of the 100 best hockey players in the world which I believe rataylor ranked him).

But maybe, for as much as I know, he did intend on taking Evans head off as soon as he gave chase. I can't say for sure, but I think there's enough evidence for the "Always consistent, clear and transparent" DoPS to surprise any side of the arguement here. And there in lies the bigger issue. Much like Goalie Interference... if the players, coaches, analysts, media and fans can't clearly distinguish between what is and is not goalie interference or "charging" based on the Rule Book (or Text Book as it was suggested) how can you fault a player for trying to do EVERYTHING in their power to gain an edge and exploit the ambiguity within the rules?

that said, I still don't see Mark's actions as malicious, nor "dirty", but interested to see what the powers that be feel and what, if any, further discipline will be levied.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by horseflyhab View Post
    Scheifele had a choice, play the puck or destroy the player. He chose to take out all his aggression on Evans because poor Mark was having a rough game. Welcome to the playoffs Mark! You will be hounded, you will be constantly poked, prodded and given no space. You chose to spazz out and make someone pay for your frustration. Well now poor little Marky will be suspended and the Jets will lose their best player. The Canadiens will be even more motivated. Selfish, how does this help your team win? What a pathetic player with no concept of what it takes to win a Stanley Cup.
    Still a little emotional are ya?