Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Running sneakers

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Running sneakers

Asics are one of the top running shoes on the market.

Honestly though, forget brand.

Go to a legit running store and have them check your gait, arch etc and fit a shoe to your foot. not all shoes are made the same. You might like nike or adidas, they might not fit your foot.

also, expect to buy an insole to make the fit perfect. That one size fits all for insoles doesn't fit all feet
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Shoes are insanely personal.

I ran in Altra for the past quite a few years as they were low drop and tons of space in the toe box, and I could get 1500kms out of a pair before I needed to get new ones. However, I have popped around with a few other brands now due to some achilles issues, and the zero drop aggravates it.

You really just need to find anything that fits you well and go with that. I've tried Saucony (Kinvaras have been my goto treadmill shoe as of late), Adidas, Hoka (squished my toes too much, but have not tried them in years and heard they got better in that regard), New Balance, and more recently Topo (wider toe box trail shoe, but has some drop to it, which has been nice. Had durability issues), and I have very little attachment to any particular pair overall to be honest.
    Agreed on shoes being very personal. Sure there are the standard sizes but each brand may fit 1/2 a size big or small, further if your feet are wider some brands specialize in wider shoes so your feet are not squished. The only real way to buy shoes that fit and work is to to try a bunch on, find something you like, fall in love with that brand/line and then wait for the maker to cancel that line for no reason..... Keeps happening to me.

I have been wearing the adidas "bounce" line for the last 5-6 years and while I do not love all the weird soft upper-shoe forms they have come out with they fit my foot well, always the same size, and have a really good amount of cushioning. Going to a store that sells lots of brands is a good start. Running Room usually has some experts but also sometimes not a great variety of shoes. The one near me sells almost no adidas. SportChek usually has the biggest selection of brands but the staff may not know what they are doing....

Good luck.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Asics are one of the top running shoes on the market.

Honestly though, forget brand.

Go to a legit running store and have them check your gait, arch etc and fit a shoe to your foot. not all shoes are made the same. You might like nike or adidas, they might not fit your foot.

also, expect to buy an insole to make the fit perfect. That one size fits all for insoles doesn't fit all feet
    Ya that's what I was asking re Running Room. I think I need to go once everything opens back up. I'm flat footed with bunions lol.

Dobber Sports Pro

I've just gotten into running recently (training for an ultra-marathon I signed up for while in Covid-frustration-induced insanity, haha) and the worker who helped me at the store (former marathoner) highly recommended Asics Kayanos. They've definitely been great the last few months!

Dobber Sports Deity

The Running Room in Halifax is closed due to restrictions still, so I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for them to open back up again and see if they can get me fitted properly. As I say, I mainly run on a treadmill for exercise. I don't plan on doing full marathons or anything like that, although I did get sucked into doing a 5k a couple years ago. First and only time I have done any sort of official "marathon". LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The Running Room in Halifax is closed due to restrictions still, so I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for them to open back up again and see if they can get me fitted properly. As I say, I mainly run on a treadmill for exercise. I don't plan on doing full marathons or anything like that, although I did get sucked into doing a 5k a couple years ago. First and only time I have done any sort of official "marathon". LOL!
    What about Aerobics First 6166 Quinpool Rd?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Has anyone gotten shoes from a place like Running Room? I've heard they're somewhat experts and will really tailor to your foot and run style....
    Running Room is the best in our city.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    What about Aerobics First 6166 Quinpool Rd?
    Never heard of them. I'll look them up.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Not running shoes per se but I just bought a pair of Inov-8 Bare XF 210 shoes for working out it and I love them. Allegedly, Inov-8 also makes great running shoes.

https://www.inov-8.com/damian-hall-w...record-attempt

This guy was wearing inov-8 shoes when he did this run.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Bringing this back. Picked up Hoka Arahi today. Tried on a bunch but found they had great support and were wide enough for my thick feet.

Dobber Sports Deity

Its funny because I JUST bought a pair of running sneakers this past weekend. I ended up going with Under Armour HOVR Sonic 3 shoes. They had a massive sale on (Buy one/get one free plus I got 40% off the price for being a military member). The wife wanted a pair of shoes too so I got hers free. For my running on the treadmill, so far so good!

Dobber Sports Sage

Honestly, my track shoes have been collecting dust. Since being out of school and not competing in running - I've stopped. I now bike a lot and just living life keeps me in shape. Biking is much less pounding on the knees anyway
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24