Thread: What are your cap league settings? (looking for advice in starting a league)

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default What are your cap league settings? (looking for advice in starting a league)

Hi everyone,

Some friends and I are thinking about starting a cap league but we are pretty new to it. I would appreciate hearing about some of the settings users use here to get some ideas, as well as any advice on possible settings you might have tried but had to scrap because they didn't work out.

Right now we are thinking a H2H points league with as many teams as we can fill (up to 30 but that's dreaming). There is a lot of debate about full dynasty vs smaller keepers. If anyone has a draft list from the last year to two as well (even the first few rounds), I'd also be really curious to see as valuing players has been difficult.

Basically, any advice you have for starting a cap league is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: What are your cap league settings? (looking for advice in starting a league)

There's definitely a lot to starting a new cap league and I think I wrote an article on a few of the keys a while back. Basically the biggest thing is picking the number of teams, and then you go from there. Both of my cap leagues have 24 teams with ~23 roster slots (1 active G slot) and a solid minors system. One league has a cap of $82.5M, and the other is at 100M. Both workable, both fun, but challenging in different ways. If you want the guys like Kopitar on the FA pile, you go with the former, if you don't, you have to go with the latter.
    H2H points is good, and with a big cap league people usually want to keep at least the majority of their teams. Probably keeping at least 2/3 of the players in their system year over year would be a minimum.

Once you get the full settings complete, post them here again and you can get a few comments there on the loopholes and issues you may run into.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: What are your cap league settings? (looking for advice in starting a league)

Welcome to the forums.

EB hit the nail on the head. The biggest determining factor will be the size of your league (how many teams) and how many you plan on rostering. Once you get that part figured out, determining the cap ceiling is easier to determine.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Recruit

Cool, appreciate the feedback. I hadn't thought of increasing the cap limit past what the NHL does. How does dropping players in either of your leagues work? Can you just cut players freely or do you commit to the contract, have a certain number of buyouts etc. That's one aspect I am unsure about. But I will try to get an idea of the number of managers and go from there.

Dobber Sports Titan

I have one league of each. The free-cut league is a lot more easy going, and seems to be a bit better with parity. The contract-commitment league has a much larger discrepancy in how teams function, with the ones that weren't careful/smart ending up toiling at the bottom of the standings indefinitely. Unless you know that you have a solid group of 24 managers who are all fairly equivalent with smarts/management skills, then you're probably best off running the free-drop option, especially if it's your first time.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    There's definitely a lot to starting a new cap league and I think I wrote an article on a few of the keys a while back. Basically the biggest thing is picking the number of teams, and then you go from there. Both of my cap leagues have 24 teams with ~23 roster slots (1 active G slot) and a solid minors system. One league has a cap of $82.5M, and the other is at 100M. Both workable, both fun, but challenging in different ways. If you want the guys like Kopitar on the FA pile, you go with the former, if you don't, you have to go with the latter.
    H2H points is good, and with a big cap league people usually want to keep at least the majority of their teams. Probably keeping at least 2/3 of the players in their system year over year would be a minimum.

Once you get the full settings complete, post them here again and you can get a few comments there on the loopholes and issues you may run into.
    to me biggest issue with NHL type Cap and 16 teams is the fact that you got stars to superstars sitting on WW...its not right imo and i really dont like it.

I would suggest u have minimum 100M cap if league is under 24 teams.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Genius

- There is a fine balance to nailing the cap in a fantasy league setup. If the cap is too low then star players with high cap-hit sit on the WW and ELC players (and 3rd and 4th line plugs) are coveted. If the cap is too high there isn't really any point in having a cap for your league.

- I like leagues where you can simply drop (cut) a player and send him back to the waiver wire. Life is too short to be stuck with players in a fantasy league.

- A full dynasty is great, but the best teams will stay at the top and the crap teams will (almost) always stay at the bottom. Teams that are not good lose interest. Keeper leagues have a similar issue where, over time, a handful of teams end up hoarding all the talent. In both league setups, more skilled managers end up with better teams to start each season.

- A 30 (or 32) team league is a huge commitment to keep alive. Organizing 32 teams is a huge task. So many moving pieces and personalities. I would look at a 16, 20 or 24 team league.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by JustPickForsling View Post
    Cool, appreciate the feedback. I hadn't thought of increasing the cap limit past what the NHL does. How does dropping players in either of your leagues work? Can you just cut players freely or do you commit to the contract, have a certain number of buyouts etc. That's one aspect I am unsure about. But I will try to get an idea of the number of managers and go from there.
    Cutting players is determined by how close to real NHL rules you want to use. If you're trying to make it as close of an experience as being a real NHL GM, then free drops are a no-no. Buyouts that count against the cap is the only real option.

If you're not looking to take it quite that serious, then allow free drops.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Cutting players is determined by how close to real NHL rules you want to use. If you're trying to make it as close of an experience as being a real NHL GM, then free drops are a no-no. Buyouts that count against the cap is the only real option.

If you're not looking to take it quite that serious, then allow free drops.
    100% agree with the first part... not a fan of the second part
    I kind of feel like this should just be a rule in cap leagues regardless of desire to give a real NHL GM experience.
    Without it GM's don't really need to roster manage long term. I have one (rule changing end of 2021/22 season) where a team after all his expired ELC signed ended up 24m over the cap.
    And it's a rather generous cap. He just dropped Faulk, Carter among others to make it work.

I think the buyouts/penalty to drop is a must.

The value of those buyouts/penalties really depend on how realistic you want this to be.

IMO. Anyone wanting to be in a cap pool should want to be in a serious pool. It's an extra challenge on top of all other forms of pools. Decisions within your decisions.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    100% agree with the first part... not a fan of the second part
    I kind of feel like this should just be a rule in cap leagues regardless of desire to give a real NHL GM experience.
    Without it GM's don't really need to roster manage long term. I have one (rule changing end of 2021/22 season) where a team after all his expired ELC signed ended up 24m over the cap.
    And it's a rather generous cap. He just dropped Faulk, Carter among others to make it work.

I think the buyouts/penalty to drop is a must.

The value of those buyouts/penalties really depend on how realistic you want this to be.

IMO. Anyone wanting to be in a cap pool should want to be in a serious pool. It's an extra challenge on top of all other forms of pools. Decisions within your decisions.
    Definition adds the realism.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I have one league of each. The free-cut league is a lot more easy going, and seems to be a bit better with parity. The contract-commitment league has a much larger discrepancy in how teams function, with the ones that weren't careful/smart ending up toiling at the bottom of the standings indefinitely. Unless you know that you have a solid group of 24 managers who are all fairly equivalent with smarts/management skills, then you're probably best off running the free-drop option, especially if it's your first time.
    Yeah I think free-cut would be a good option for beginners Thanks for explaining.