Thread: Prospect Goalies

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Prospect Goalies

I'd appreciate any help in narrowing down the following prospect goalies into a top-3 list.
    Are there any goalies that jump off the page to you as head and shoulder

Standard categories: Wins, GAA, SV%, Shutouts
    - weighted more heavily for goalies that are closer to seeing action
    Last edited by lfchockey; June 24, 2021 at 12:48 PM.
    Creator of the NHL Rank King iPhone app.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Prospect Goalies

First off, none of these seem like clear future #1s who are close to the NHL. Of them listed, my favorites are

Stuart Skinner - The opportunity is close by and he has some good minor league performance. Probably not as good as the similarly-situated Konovalov.
    Josef Korenar - Pedigree not has good as Skinner, but he's at the cusp of NHL time. Probably not as good as the similarly-situated Melnichuk.
    Keith Petruzzelli - Not much in the pipeline in Detroit and he's young enough to have some room for growth.

Dobber Sports Titan

Kivlenieks is probably the closest. With a possible trade of one of Elvis or Korpi, he becomes the backup and has had some solid numbers in the minors. Korenar is close to full-time too, but I'm not convinced he actually makes it.

Thompson and then Skinner are probably my next two choices in terms of less wait time while still having decent upside.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

First off, none jump off as "head and shoulders" above the others.

Kids like Devon Levi, Commesso and Daws are so far away, who knows what they will be. All three could end up being legit starters for all we know.

If I had to pick three, I'd probably want Josef Korenar and Matiss Kivlenieks as the two who stand out the most from that group as actual future NHL goalies. Not starters or #1s, but at least NHL goalies. My 3rd choice would probably be Skinner just due to Edmonton's lack of depth in the prospect field there, and he just had a stellar AHL season. That's usually a good sign for future success getting to the NHL. The biggest issue for Skinner is how far ahead/behind (?) is Konovalov. We'll find out next year now that he's signed his ELC and coming to NA to play.

Good luck!
    Goalies just take so long to develop and make their way to fantasy relevance and so many just dont make it at all. So few find their way to the bigs at an early age. That's the biggest issue when it comes to trying to guage prospect goalies.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Thank you all for your in-depth analysis.

I joined a new dynasty league a couple of years ago and painted myself into a corner by not building enough goalie depth during the original prospect draft. Currently I only have two goalies on my entire roster (including the farm) with Blackwood and Stolarz. Clearly not very good.
    Usually I'm of the mindset of finding at least one good goalie option in free agency but this (cap) league has a huge cap benefit for developing and keeping prospects in your system, so it is time to right the ship.

Thanks again.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Saville might just be the sleeper of this entire group.

I'd look at grabbing prospect handcuffs - Skinner/Konovalov, Erickson Ek/Dostal etc. You only need one to hit to lock down the teams net.

The GM that had patience to grab both Binnington & Husso 3 years ago -- and wait on them looks pretty good now.

Seems a bit less like throwing darts, which is what Goalie prospecting feels like at times.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Saville I like but I think Thompson gets a shot before Saville is ready which really puts a damper on his opportunity.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Saville I like but I think Thompson gets a shot before Saville is ready which really puts a damper on his opportunity.
    I was leaning towards Thompson as well. I feel like he's flying slightly under the radar, is a bit older, had a great season, and is a product of the Wheat Kings, which has ties to Vegas. Of course there is the two-headed goalie monster ahead of him in the NHL right now. Surely, sooner or later the Golden Knights will decide to move away from one of Fleury or Lehner, right?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by lfchockey View Post
    I was leaning towards Thompson as well. I feel like he's flying slightly under the radar, is a bit older, had a great season, and is a product of the Wheat Kings, which has ties to Vegas. Of course there is the two-headed goalie monster ahead of him in the NHL right now. Surely, sooner or later the Golden Knights will decide to move away from one of Fleury or Lehner, right?
    I think that is right, but Vegas' demonstrated pattern is to bring in veterans to compete as opposed to letting their kids grow. Whenever Fleury leaves, they might bring in another veteran to share with Lehner.

The Great One

I just read a article at TSN that matiis (clb) has ome untapped upside but even then theyre saying more of a 1b than a threat to be a starter. Interesting guy though.

Korenar (and melnichuk) are interesting espeially if SJ ony grabs another band aid vetran in the off season.

I agree though the most youre looking at here are 1as or strong backups for the most part.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Saville might just be the sleeper of this entire group.

I'd look at grabbing prospect handcuffs - Skinner/Konovalov, Erickson Ek/Dostal etc. You only need one to hit to lock down the teams net.

The GM that had patience to grab both Binnington & Husso 3 years ago -- and wait on them looks pretty good now.

Seems a bit less like throwing darts, which is what Goalie prospecting feels like at times.
    I like this idea!! It's still going to be a wait, but you've improved your chances of actually getting an NHL goaltender by loading up on a given teams goalie prospects. However, and I don't know how many times I've seen this, just when you think one of your guys is going to get a legitimate chance, the team goes out and signs a veteran backup and the wait continues. With very few exceptions NHL Coaches just don't want to hand the keys to the car to the younger guys. They just have to pay their dues and hope they get there eventually and so do you (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf