Thread: Ranking some G's moving forward - REP

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Ranking some G's moving forward - REP

In what was a very strange season I had some very unusual goalie luck. Came into the year with my goalie situation in dire straights with Hellebyuck as my only #1, MAF as a 36 y/o in a timeshare that was conceivably going to be lost to Lehner, and Bishop on the shelf.

I dealt Taylor Hall for Price, and honestly I don't think either of us won that deal, both were awful all year.

I dealt mid-picks and some prospects to get Driedger and Campbell in desperation moves to try to get some B2B starts, and both of these worked out far better than ever expected between the injuries and poor play of Bob/Andersen.

Swayman (who I reluctantly drafted in last year's prospect draft when Annunen/Dostal went before my pick) looked exceptional in a limited share, I wasn't banking on having him in the mix for 3 years+.

Now going into next year, I have the most options in net that I have ever had and will need to make some decisions moving forward. We can keep goalies in the minors for 100 games (Campbell is at 86) and Swayman and Driedger can stay in the minors for a couple of years however, we can only carry 4 goalies maximum on our active roster. My issue is going to come 14 games into next season, when I need to either promote or drop Campbell (pending me moving another goalie), on top of, if I dress 4 goalies on my active roster I will lose my ability to cycle starts with minors eligible players (Swayman, Driedger, etc.). I've gone from having a desperate goalie situation to having too much.

A lot of pieces will need to drop in the offseason (i.e. where does Driedger end up, does TOR keep Andersen, etc.) so I'm just trying to get ahead of any potential offers. Lots needs to play out yet, but just curious on how you guys rank these goalies next year. Here are mine, interested in everyone's opinions, REP where I can.

Next year:
    1. Hellebyuck
    2. MAF - Although I wonder, is this the time to try to cash out going into his age 37 season.
    3. Bishop - If he stays healthy (BIG IF)
    4. Price - Still a workhorse, but 16/17 is really his last above average season
    5. Campbell - small sample and lots of questions. Could leapfrog a couple of guys though if he goes into next year as TOR's #1
    6. Driedger - this is where I have him if its another timeshare. if he is SEA's #1 or FLA's #1 could really change the ranking (for better or worse).
    7. Swayman - Looked great, but its 10 games. I can't see him being a regular next year unless Rask retires. Future is bright, I can stash him.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Ranking some G's moving forward - REP

I like the order that you have as of right now. A lot can change though. If the Leafs move on from Freddie then Campbell could go as high as #2.

Dobber Sports Superstar

You definitely have some decent options here, so that's good, but it's more likely than not that there will be some moving parts here for sure.
    1. Hellebyuck

Clearly ranked properly

2. MAF - Although I wonder, is this the time to try to cash out going into his age 37 season.

This one is tough. Lots of folks wrote MAF off. MAF sure didn't. Thing is, if you "cash out" can you get any kind of return, or do you just walk away. I'd shop him, but if nothing is offered I'd be prepared to go with him and hope he can defy time for another year. After his last campaign, that is a decent bet.

3. Bishop - If he stays healthy (BIG IF)
    A good 3rd goalie. But he's Flakey like most Goalies. Oft injured, inconsistent, yet when he's on, he's on. There may be some trade value here if you need to reduce the number of goalies your carrying.

4. Price - Still a workhorse, but 16/17 is really his last above average season

You got this right. His numbers in the last 3 years are far from the elite goalie he once was. I don't want to count on him, you probably don't either. Trade option, name value might come into play.

5. Campbell - small sample and lots of questions. Could leapfrog a couple of guys though if he goes into next year as TOR's #1

Now things are getting interesting. This all depends on what the Buds do with Andersson, but it sure looks like a parting of the ways is going to happen. If so, Campbell will be given the opportunity to succeed, they're rolling with him some far in the playoffs which speaks volumes. If I had to guess, I'm saying that the likelihood of that is 70% - 30%. Not a given, but a good chance.

6. Driedger - this is where I have him if its another timeshare. if he is SEA's #1 or FLA's #1 could really change the ranking (for better or worse).

I'm going out on a limb here and saying the Cats role with Bob and Knight's affordable ECL (they likely sign Montembeault on the cheap as well). So, where Driedger lands is huge. Major uncertainty here, does he get his chance somewhere else or is it another time share or a backup roll. I honestly have no idea. I'm certainly sitting on him and waiting to see what happens.

7. Swayman - Looked great, but its 10 games. I can't see him being a regular next year unless Rask retires. Future is bright, I can stash him.

Similar to Campbell, if the Bruins are without Rask, opportunity is knocking on the door for Swayman big time. Definitely stash him.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    You definitely have some decent options here, so that's good, but it's more likely than not that there will be some moving parts here for sure.
    Excellent read.
    TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL
    3-6C, 3-6W, 6D, 8B, 2G, 20 farm, 3IR

C - Crosby-McDavid-Giroux-Kadri
    W - Ovechkin-Marchand-Lehkonen-Wheeler-E.Kane-Landeskog
    D - Jones-Schenn-Stone-Lindholm-Moser-Whitecloud
    G - Hellebuyck-Lindgren-Martin-Stalock

Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Star

I can't find fault with any of Bubba55's reasoning.

I'd put Driedger a hair ahead of Campbell. Campbell is likely to face some regression due to being inordinately fortunate on the penalty kill. Of course, it all depends on where people go. Driedger will likely end up somewhere other than FLA due to Knight being cheaper, but the range of outcomes is pretty wide open. If Colorado can't meet Grubauer's number and runs out a Driedger/Francouz tandem next year...

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like the order you have them in now. I think I have Price above bishop just because that BIG IF is one that I have sort of given up on. MAF I think I shop but like others have said, I don't think you are likely to get a fair offer for a 37 year old G, so I probably just enjoy his twilight years and hold onto him. Campbell I think is third if the leafs go into next season with him as the #1.
    8tm Keep 7FWD,4D,1G
    C,3LW,3RW,5D,2G (positional game played cap)
    G(3),A(2),+/-(1),PM(0.5),PPP(1),GW(1),S(0.4),W(4),SV(0.2),GA(-1),SO(2)
    C:Aho, Barkov, Pavelski(RW), Nugent-Hop(LW)
    R:Rantanen, Pasta, Konecny
    L:Guentzel, Gaudreau, Keller(RW), Benn
    D:Makar, Karlsson, Sergachev, Dobson, Hronek, Sanderson
    G:Vasilevskiy, Hart, Kuemper, Kotchetkov, Husso

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

For me personally, I would hold Hellybuck, MAF and Campbell. Trade Bishop and Price for whatever you can get. That also leaves you with both Swayman and Driedger on your farm with the option to move one or both up depending on their 2021-22 team situations noted above by the other posters.

Keep in mind that Tarasov is now in NA and could become a top 3 tender for you sooner rather than later too (speculations have it that CBJ will move one of their goalies). Any of the 3 prospect eligible goalies can most likely replace MAF within the next season or two without much of a drop off, especially if MAF regresses from this years performance.
    14 team H2H Dynasty: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench

G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, PPP, HITS, BLK,
    W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, Sv%, SO

Center: Kuznetzov, Johansen, Glass(RW), Hayton
    LW: T. Johnson(C/RW), Gurianov(RW), Labanc(RW), Zucker(RW),
    RW: Kucherov, Vorocek, Atkinson, Konecny,
    Defence: Josi, Trouba , Klingberg, Morrissey, Zadorov, Gudas,
    G: Fleury, Rittich
    Bench: Steel(C), Watson(LW/RW), Comtois(LW), Blais (LW/RW), Zaitsev(D), Saros(G)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks everyone. Sounds like everyone is on the same page.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I would be a little worried about Campbell when the divisions go back to normal. With Boston, Tampa, Florida, an improved Ottawa etc. Toronto may not have as good of a season.
    12 team pts league. G(1pt), A(1pt), PPP(1pt), SHP(1pt), GWG(1pt), W(3pts), SO(2pts)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4F, 4D, 2G, 4Bench, 2IR
    Keep any 5 max 3 years

C - McDavid, Backstrom, Tavares, Couturier, Trochek
    RW - Pavelski, Fiala, E. Lindholm
    LW - Landeskog, Palat, E. Kane, Robertson
    D - Hedman, Yandle, Fox, Provorov
    G - Lehner, Rask, MAF, Talbot