Thread: Patrik Laine- what's next?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Patrik Laine- what's next?

What's next for Patrik Laine? His underlying numbers don't suggest he was the victim of a large amount of bad luck this past season, more so that he just wasn't very good. The format this year meant I haven't really seen any Blue Jackets games. I could pick him up just for entry draft pick(s) in a dynasty league but really feel like I don't have a strong handle on the future of this one player.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Patrik Laine- what's next?

too many unknown variables.

new coach needed
    new contract needed
    will he have an offensive centre to play with if he stays in columbus?

he has the talent so if he can be had for very little might be worth the lottery ticket
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Some good chemistry with good line mates (hopefully an assist guy) plus a very patient coach and he will hopefully return to the sniper he was. No matter where he goes.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

He needs to have fun again. That's the key to him performing. He wasn't having fun in Winnipeg near the end and obviously not in CBJ. The team is gonna be much more relaxed, and likely allowed to do more stress free activities. He'll likely hang out with Team mates more now, and Laine was always his best when he was smiling in interviews.

Easy to say, hard to do, but he just needs to be put in a position to enjoy the game of hockey again.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    He needs to have fun again. That's the key to him performing. He wasn't having fun in Winnipeg near the end and obviously not in CBJ. The team is gonna be much more relaxed, and likely allowed to do more stress free activities. He'll likely hang out with Team mates more now, and Laine was always his best when he was smiling in interviews.

Easy to say, hard to do, but he just needs to be put in a position to enjoy the game of hockey again.
    Laine needs to grow up. He's demonstrated that unless everything goes his way he'll quit, which he's done to two teams now. Even when he is engaged unless he's scoring he's more or less useless - he doesn't bring a physical element even though he's huge, he doesn't check, has no leadership qualities. I sold a bit low on him and very happy I did so.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Laine needs to grow up. He's demonstrated that unless everything goes his way he'll quit, which he's done to two teams now. Even when he is engaged unless he's scoring he's more or less useless - he doesn't bring a physical element even though he's huge, he doesn't check, has no leadership qualities. I sold a bit low on him and very happy I did so.
    Well in 2019-2020, his 68gp was 28g,35A (63pts), 97hits, 35blks. Then in his first 11gp in 2020-21 season he had 8g,5a (13pts), 12hits, 6blks. Then he hit his massive slump (1game was with WPG in that 11gp). I think a lot of it has to do with Tortorella and Laine just not enjoying it.

Does he need to grow up? Guys 23yrs old, lots of 23yr olds don't handle change well. He was 22yrs old when he moved from Winnipeg to CBJ. Maybe he struggled with COVID, and it all snowballed. I do agree, he doesn't seem to be a guy who rises to occasions when the going gets tough. But he just turned 23yrs old, a lot can change.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

Agreed. So young with so much talent. I'm an owner excited to see who CBJ hires.
    I'd love to see someone like Boudreau come in and jumpstart the offense. He's had prior success with a PP stud scorer raking in points.
    And Jones / Werenski could benefit a lot too.

An upgrade at C1 would help too though...
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Master

I sense that he might not be happy until he gets to choose where he wants to play ; seems like thats in a big market . What happens when he cant handle the press in said big city ?

does columbus try to cash him in and start over with assets aquired or see if new coach / system can get Laine to buy in .

Dobber Sports Star

the only thing he made clear was that he wanted to be top dog. i interpret that to mean he wants to play with a top centre on the top line in all situations. he wasnt wrong since blake wheeler is no longer the player he was a few years ago so feeling he should be playing with scheifele is probably the way to go he just went about it the wrong way in hockey circles

laine should be self-aware enough that hes likely stuck in Columbus since he had such an awful year. i practically expect him to take a 1-year show me deal before hes a ufa in 2 seasons. bjorkstrand/roslovic/laine was actually a productive line at spurts but torts' constant line juggling never let laine settle into a groove. he has the talent so worth a gamble in the late rounds no matter what.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.