Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buy Low - Sell High Candidates

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Buy Low - Sell High Candidates

With the regular season coming to and end and playoffs upon us, I'm trying to think about who some of my sell high candidates might be, and who are some buy low candidates I might want to target.

As per the signature, a 9 team - 17 keeper dynasty league - points only.

I see Huberdeau, Scheifele, Krejci, J Robertson, Theodore, and Rielly as sell high options. Agree or disagree?

With these prospective sell highs, who are some of the buy-lows that you'd target?
    9 Team Points Only Dynasty - 27 Player Roster (17 Keepers) - 12 F, 6 D, 2 UTL, 2 G, 5 Bench - 2.5G, 2A, 1PP, 2SHG, 1SHA, 3W, 2SO, 1OTL, 0.05SV

F: J Robertson, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Aho, Kaprizov, Scheifele, Connor, DeBrincat, Cozens, Ehlers, Toffoli, Kopitar, Trocheck, Schmaltz, W Johnston, Teravainen, J Quinn
    D: Dahlin, Werenski, M Rielly, S Jones, McCavoy, Gustafsson
    G: Shesterkin, Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Buy Low - Sell High Candidates

Sell high:

Dreidger, JStaal, Barrie, either or both Ritchie brothers, JVR

Buy- low (if you can)

Cirelli, Johnny Gaudreau, Monahan, Larkin, Domi, Konecny

I find it hard to "buy-low" in keeper leagues because most sensible GMs know players true value and if they are smart (this is always the key part), they are patient when someone has a down year and wait for them to bounce back. None the less, these are some of the guys I find had down years you might be able to get cheaper than normal right now.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Huberdeau is definitely not a sell high. He has posted 3 seasons in a row with a 90+ point pace. I think this is just the new normal for him. He is an elite wing option imo.

Dobber Sports Titan

Sell high:
    Kopitar
    Perron
    Buchnevich
    Trocheck
    Palat
    Weegar
    Chychrun
    McDavid

Buy Low:
    Panarin
    Eichel
    Pettersson
    Pastrnak
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Shesterkin
    Samsonov

McDavid Sell High is, I don't know how much higher his stock can go, so you can ABSOLUTELY ask for the moon and if you're not 100% satisfied with the offer, you can reject and still have McDavid.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Sell high:
    Kopitar
    Perron
    Buchnevich
    Trocheck
    Palat
    Weegar
    Chychrun -- I don't see him as sell high, I think this is his emergence.
    McDavid
    Stone -- not a big sell high, but still a sell high IMO

Buy Low:
    Panarin
    Eichel
    Pettersson
    Pastrnak
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Shesterkin
    Samsonov
    Mantha (could be in for a big year next year now that he's shown he should be on PP1 and is on it)
    Dahlin
    Teravainen
    Point
    Konency

McDavid Sell High is, I don't know how much higher his stock can go, so you can ABSOLUTELY ask for the moon and if you're not 100% satisfied with the offer, you can reject and still have McDavid.
    This is a pretty good list but I made some edits above in red.

Dobber Sports Titan

Chychrun is a sell high because not many D can shoot 10+%. 18g is a lot especially in 56gp with 176sog. I can see him shooting 8%, keeping the rough 2.75sog/gp (regressing his 3.14sog). Which would be 206sog/gp through 75gp. Making his goals 16.5g/75gp.

I think he'll underperform next yr, but he's still a very good player. Underperform as in, he won't score 24g/75gp next yr (which he paced at)

Forgot about Teravainen, that's a good buy low. But the window on him is shutting the more the Canes play.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

I like most entries on the list, many logical points

I would be cautious with Teuvo, hes still on PP2 at the moment. Carolina's pp was #2 in the league and all 4 forwards on PP1 will likely be back next season (Aho, Svechnikov, JStaal, Trocheck) so who comes off it for Teuvo? SAT line is great but he'll need PP1 deployment again to regain his near-ppg numbers

Ill try to add a few to the list that havent been said

Buy low
    Tyler Seguin - still only 29, huge upside once hes fully healthy
    Patrik Laine - buy really low
    Alex Nedeljkovic - potentially the starter next season
    Steven Stamkos - first time hes been below-ppg for a long while now. with kucherov back on the powerplay i think he can get back to at least a ppg pace
    Andrei Svechnikov - Rod stuck him with JStaal for a good chunk of the season, hes ppg when playing with Aho. a manager not paying attention may underrate him after a down years of sorts
    Alexis Lafreniere/ Kaapo Kaako - i doubt the next coach plays them as little on the top lines as DQ did

Sell high
    Varlamov - career season, doubt he stays as healthy
    Grubauer - career season and hes a UFA, you never know....
    Landeskog - hes a UFA, he probably stays but you never know........
    really anyone who just had a career year without a guarantee their situation will stay the same next season haha
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Sell high:

Dreidger, JStaal, Barrie, either or both Ritchie brothers, JVR

Buy- low (if you can)

Cirelli, Johnny Gaudreau, Monahan, Larkin, Domi, Konecny

I find it hard to "buy-low" in keeper leagues because most sensible GMs know players true value and if they are smart (this is always the key part), they are patient when someone has a down year and wait for them to bounce back. None the less, these are some of the guys I find had down years you might be able to get cheaper than normal right now.
    Yes, I'd be interested in Johnny, Monahan, Larkin and Konecny... and you're right that wise GMs are usually sensible. But you never know! I like the input

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Huberdeau is definitely not a sell high. He has posted 3 seasons in a row with a 90+ point pace. I think this is just the new normal for him. He is an elite wing option imo.
    I wouldn't be sad if this new pick up for me this year is rounding into form. Appreciate the feedback
    9 Team Points Only Dynasty - 27 Player Roster (17 Keepers) - 12 F, 6 D, 2 UTL, 2 G, 5 Bench - 2.5G, 2A, 1PP, 2SHG, 1SHA, 3W, 2SO, 1OTL, 0.05SV

F: J Robertson, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Aho, Kaprizov, Scheifele, Connor, DeBrincat, Cozens, Ehlers, Toffoli, Kopitar, Trocheck, Schmaltz, W Johnston, Teravainen, J Quinn

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Sell high:
    Kopitar
    Perron
    Buchnevich
    Trocheck
    Palat
    Weegar
    Chychrun
    McDavid

Buy Low:
    Panarin
    Eichel
    Pettersson
    Pastrnak
    Kucherov
    Kuznetsov
    Shesterkin
    Samsonov

Kuznetsov is an interesting option. I may be able to get him from the current GM, but I can't imagine he'll dump him for next to nothing. I'll think that one through.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    I like most entries on the list, many logical points

I would be cautious with Teuvo, hes still on PP2 at the moment. Carolina's pp was #2 in the league and all 4 forwards on PP1 will likely be back next season (Aho, Svechnikov, JStaal, Trocheck) so who comes off it for Teuvo? SAT line is great but he'll need PP1 deployment again to regain his near-ppg numbers

Ill try to add a few to the list that havent been said

Buy low
    Tyler Seguin - still only 29, huge upside once hes fully healthy
    Patrik Laine - buy really low
    Alex Nedeljkovic - potentially the starter next season
    Steven Stamkos - first time hes been below-ppg for a long while now. with kucherov back on the powerplay i think he can get back to at least a ppg pace
    Andrei Svechnikov - Rod stuck him with JStaal for a good chunk of the season, hes ppg when playing with Aho. a manager not paying attention may underrate him after a down years of sorts
    Alexis Lafreniere/ Kaapo Kaako - i doubt the next coach plays them as little on the top lines as DQ did

Sell high
    Varlamov - career season, doubt he stays as healthy
    Grubauer - career season and hes a UFA, you never know....
    Landeskog - hes a UFA, he probably stays but you never know........
    really anyone who just had a career year without a guarantee their situation will stay the same next season haha
    Oh gosh! Laine is such an interesting play. With Torts gone, you have to wonder how close he could get to his 40g season of past. I wish the Svech GM would sell. I'd love to get a deal done for him!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    For PP1/PP2 I tend to go off history and talent--these lines shuffle throughout the year, and he's only on PP2 right now because he was injured and both Trocheck and Staal were doing well there. That said, both Trocheck and Staal are sell-highs and are not the player that Teuvo is. I'm very confident he will be a mainstay on PP1 next year. All it takes is 1 of those 2 (Trocheck/Staal) to slump and they are off PP1 and likely never getting back on.

Dobber Sports Guru

Sell high:
    Pavelski (don't think you'd get value for him, but can try!)
    Weegar (tentative sell -- could be better than expected)
    JVR (see Pavelski)
    Palat (Kuch back and primo minutes go away)
    Hintz (between the injuries and the surprise breakout, I'm skeptical)
    Barrie (unless he re-ups with Oilers)
    Verhaeghe (not sure this dream season is repeatable)
    Yandle (might be too late, but...)
    Toffoli (nearly a career high in 56 game season... don't see a repeat)
    Copp (not seeing a repeat of this year)

Buy low:
    Dahlin (last 10-12 games are more an indication)
    Laine and Werenski (Torts gone and boom!)
    Vrana (finally some PP time?)
    Larkin (pieces will start to fill in around him)
    DeAngelo (he's gonna sign somewhere and if he can keep mouth shut...)
    Brannstrom (last chance to get him methinks)
    Bouchard (especially if Barrie walks)
    Meier (see today's ramblings)
    Sam Bennett (might be too late, but looks like new player in Florida)
    anyone injured (Seguin, Pettersson, Eichel, Hischier, Teravainen, Malkin)
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

The Great One

Some good info. I'd add Jack Hughes and Cole Caufield to the buy low list. I'm only buying VERY low on Flames and CBJ players because those teams are both shit shows and I want to be very guarded about acquiring any of those players.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Genius

Kuznetsov might be available on the cheap and if I had Tyler Toffoli I would be trying to sell him as high as Tommy Chong
    is right now.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by silkysmooth View Post
    For PP1/PP2 I tend to go off history and talent--these lines shuffle throughout the year, and he's only on PP2 right now because he was injured and both Trocheck and Staal were doing well there. That said, both Trocheck and Staal are sell-highs and are not the player that Teuvo is. I'm very confident he will be a mainstay on PP1 next year. All it takes is 1 of those 2 (Trocheck/Staal) to slump and they are off PP1 and likely never getting back on.
    i dont disagree with anything youre saying, just to be cautious mostly with expectations for Teuvo by pointing out potential downsides. if he was Line 1 PP1 for sure 100% in my mind his value increases. its just not guaranteed even if probable
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.