Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Debrincat for Byfield?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Debrincat for Byfield?

Another GM has offered me Byfield for Debrincat? I love the upside of Byfield but Debrincat looks great right now. We are in a points only league. Would you roll the dice on Byfield's upside and do this deal?
    14 team dynasty league points only / H2H
    draft up to 35 and cut 5 to 30 after one month of season. 13 active 12 bench & 5 prospects.
    dress 7 forwards, 3 defensman, 1 vet ( 31 & older), 1 rookie & 1 goalie per week

Forwards - Stone, J.T.Miller, A. Svechnikov, Mika Zibanijad, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nico Hischier, Jack Hughes, Elias Lindholm, Quinton Byfield, Filip Chytil, Nick Schmaltz & Jaden Schwartz.

Defense- Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Roman Josi, Thomas Chabot, K'Andre Miller & Cam Fowler.

Goalies - Igor Shesterkin & Karel Vejmalka & Jeremy Swayman.

Prospects - Alex Turcotte, Brandt Clarke, Denton Mateychuk , Henry Thrun & Filip Bystedt.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Debrincat for Byfield?

For me this all depends on whether your team is competitive now or you are rebuilding. Looking at your roster, this team looks like a legit contender. You are right, Debrincat looks good now, quite good in fact, and Byfield is likely the future. I would rather have The Cat on my team if I'm going for a championship next year. IMO, the point differential will be significant. After that, it will likely become closer. If Byfield hits his potential then he will be the better own, but that's by no means a given and if and when that happens it will certainly not be next year, and perhaps not the year after. Byfield is a high end prospect for sure, but I don't consider him a generational talent like some do, there will be a learning curve, not immediate big time fantasy impact. Ask the Lafrenniere owners who though he'd help win them a championship this year how well that went. (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd go for this if DeBrincat were 33 or 34, but he's far too young to be swapping out for younger potential unless you're also getting a 1st rounder or something as a sweetener.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Good points. I think I agree with you as we are set to try and win over the next 3 years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    For me this all depends on whether your team is competitive now or you are rebuilding. Looking at your roster, this team looks like a legit contender. You are right, Debrincat looks good now, quite good in fact, and Byfield is likely the future. I would rather have The Cat on my team if I'm going for a championship next year. IMO, the point differential will be significant. After that, it will likely become closer. If Byfield hits his potential then he will be the better own, but that's by no means a given and if and when that happens it will certainly not be next year, and perhaps not the year after. Byfield is a high end prospect for sure, but I don't consider him a generational talent like some do, there will be a learning curve, not immediate big time fantasy impact. Ask the Lafrenniere owners who though he'd help win them a championship this year how well that went. (:
    draft up to 35 and cut 5 to 30 after one month of season. 13 active 12 bench & 5 prospects.
    dress 7 forwards, 3 defensman, 1 vet ( 31 & older), 1 rookie & 1 goalie per week

Forwards - Stone, J.T.Miller, A. Svechnikov, Mika Zibanijad, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nico Hischier, Jack Hughes, Elias Lindholm, Quinton Byfield, Filip Chytil, Nick Schmaltz & Jaden Schwartz.

Defense- Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Roman Josi, Thomas Chabot, K'Andre Miller & Cam Fowler.

Prospects - Alex Turcotte, Brandt Clarke, Denton Mateychuk , Henry Thrun & Filip Bystedt.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by NewJersyFan View Post
    Good points. I think I agree with you as we are set to try and win over the next 3 years or so.
    i think you loose this deal for 3 years and then win it after that....so it all depends on what your mandate is.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

The Great One

I don't know what to make of Byfield...seems like a boom or bust prospect to me. Regardless of where you are at (contending or rebuilding), I prefer the guaranteed production from Debrincat. Kid is a stud (and only 23, so not even at his prime yet). You gotta hope that maybe someday Byfield can do what Debrincat is already doing now.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Superstar

Funny how opinion here has changed a wee bit over the last several months. After the draft, guys were literally ready to sell the farm to own one of Byfield or Lafrenniere. I saw a lot of pretty bad offers that folks were recommending be accepted. Oh well. The advice being given on this post is the right advice IMO.

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Funny how opinion here has changed a wee bit over the last several months. After the draft, guys were literally ready to sell the farm to own one of Byfield or Lafrenniere. I saw a lot of pretty bad offers that folks were recommending be accepted. Oh well. The advice being given on this post is the right advice IMO.
    It's this way every year - the top couple prospects are the "shiny new toy" everyone wants. They WILL probably be awesome (same with Hughes, Kakko, etc.) but it doesn't make immediate sense to trade away young proven talent to get young unproven talent.

That being said, I'm already getting excited for Wright & Bedard and will probably burn high draft picks on them when the time comes, haha. Every once in a while the shiny new toy is a Matthews or a McDavid!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockies & Hockeys View Post
    It's this way every year - the top couple prospects are the "shiny new toy" everyone wants. They WILL probably be awesome (same with Hughes, Kakko, etc.) but it doesn't make immediate sense to trade away young proven talent to get young unproven talent.

That being said, I'm already getting excited for Wright & Bedard and will probably burn high draft picks on them when the time comes, haha. Every once in a while the shiny new toy is a Matthews or a McDavid!
    Yep!

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports All-Star

Nope I would keep the Cat. I like byfield but he’s years away from a consistent point producer. Debrincat is sliding into the prime of his production. Good luck
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Deity

I love Byfield and am probably one of his biggest supporters here on these forums but this is a bad trade for Debrincat. I am confident in a few years that Byfield will prove he is worthy of the 2nd overall pick status, but right now you can't sell Debrincat for him. It's just not a smart trade for you.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I love Byfield and am probably one of his biggest supporters here on these forums but this is a bad trade for Debrincat. I am confident in a few years that Byfield will prove he is worthy of the 2nd overall pick status, but right now you can't sell Debrincat for him. It's just not a smart trade for you.
    byfield falls into the breakout threshold of 400 games due to his size too, so be wary that his production might not be for many more years. Debrincat took a step back last year, but really brought his game back this season. I think you stick with what you have, debrincat is a young stud
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Debrincat isn't going anywhere : )

Dobber Sports Ace

If you have a point per game 23 year old, hang on to him.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Jedi

DeBrincat for the win. Byfield for the multi-cat rebuild.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4