Thread: Too early keeper thoughts

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Too early keeper thoughts

Points only, 12 team, keep 8, weekly lineups of 6F, 3D, 1G, anywhere from 0 to 6 bench spots as long as you stay cap compliant. Cap is $81.5m.

I have an ok team with a few old guys, a few yound guys, and was able to sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed and win it all thanks to some streaky scoring.

Stone, Guentzel, Backstrom, Ovi and Quinn Hughes are obvious keeps. I have 3 spots left for Elias Lindholm, Fiala, Pionk, Hart, and Byfield.
    I think it would be a stretch to keep byfield over these guys, but is he that good that I should use a keeper spot on him?
    Hart has rep and pedigree, I hope he’ll be a full time starter next year but phily was balls this year and Hart wasn’t great either.
    Lindholm, Fiala and Pionk all are good but not elite, and cheap but not ELC cheap. Fiala turned it on again at the end of this season and makes it tough to swallow dropping him, considering Minni’s progression and guys he’ll be playing with for the next couple years.
    Pionk is probably the easiest redraft, but he put up good numbers and helped my team way more than Hart, who I actually didn’t even use most of the second half of the season.

I’m leaning towards keeping Lindholm and Fiala, and it probably makes sense to keep pionk but tough to convince myself that dropping Hart is a smart move.
    What say you?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Too early keeper thoughts

Hart kinda made himself an easy redraft too, and in no universe is he now a top-12 or top-15 GK going into next year. Who else is available? Jack Campbell (likely TOR starter), Driedger or Bernier (both likely to be on new teams), Nedeljkovic, Blackwood.... It’s Lindholm, Fiala, Pionk for me. I’d scrape for GK’s before trusting Carter Hart as my #1.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

12 team, 1G, I agree you can redraft Hart if you want to. I also disagree that Ovie is an easy keep. He's expensive, old, and though he does score, he doesn't have the same points production value as the other guys. I would cut Ovie and Hart and keep the other 8 assuming Fiala's next contract is reasonable.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    12 team, 1G, I agree you can redraft Hart if you want to. I also disagree that Ovie is an easy keep. He's expensive, old, and though he does score, he doesn't have the same points production value as the other guys. I would cut Ovie and Hart and keep the other 8 assuming Fiala's next contract is reasonable.
    This right here! That was my first thought as well, love Ovi but no longer a locked in keeper in salary cap leagues! There is a good chance that Fiala and Byfield would be drafted ahead of him (Fiala's contract dependent of course).

Edit: I don't mean he is not still a keeper just someone if I had him in this league I would have to consider shopping and really go through my keepers, just not the same no brainer he has always been. Same with Backstrom. All comes down to what you are looking to do with your team! I still believe Ovi has lots of scoring left.
    32 Team Salary Cap Dynasty - Fantrax
    Start: 12F, 6D, 2G - Scoring: G/A 1, SOG/Hit/Blk 0.1, W/SHO 1, SV 0.05

F:
    Bemstrom, Meier, Danault, Fantilli, Di Giuseppe, Greenway,
    Hischier, W. Johnston, P. Kane, Marchment,
    Palat, Seguin, Blackwell, Merela, Reaves.

D:
    Ceci, DeAngelo, Girard, Liljegren,
    N. Lundkvist, Walman, Schmidt, Emberson.

G: Sorokin, Quick, Kochetkov.

Minors: Arcuri, Misiak, Nesterenko, Perreault, Ponomayov,

T. Robertson, Simontaival, Soderblom, A. Thompson, Unger Sorum,
    S. Walker, J. Wise, Brunet, Hollowell, Honka, Mynio, Nause,
    Commesso, Hamrla, Portillo, Svedeback, Makiniemi.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Keep Byfield over Ovi? Ovi is expensive, but with such short rosters the $$ is less of a factor. It still plays in of course, and i do have Stone and Backstrom both at over $9m too, so it’s a fair point.
    I MAY be able to trade Ovi for a smal pick upgrade, too. Much more likely than being able to trade Byfield.

Follow up question, how much would Fialas contract have to be for you to drop him? I feel like $5-6m for guys with his production is reasonable. What about if he signs for $7? Not sure he will, but just curious.
    Thanks for the replys so far.

Dobber Sports Titan

It's up to you, and yeah with the tiny rosters the salary doesn't matter as much. Just another opinion to consider.

As for Fiala, I think it's highly unlikely that he signs for more than 6M per season. I like him anywhere under 6 anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbert View Post
    This right here! That was my first thought as well, love Ovi but no longer a locked in keeper in salary cap leagues! There is a good chance that Fiala and Byfield would be drafted ahead of him (Fiala's contract dependent of course).

Edit: I don't mean he is not still a keeper just someone if I had him in this league I would have to consider shopping and really go through my keepers, just not the same no brainer he has always been. Same with Backstrom. All comes down to what you are looking to do with your team! I still believe Ovi has lots of scoring left.
    Exactly, both those guys are aging and not slam dunk keepers like in the past. I like the idea of keeping Byfield and trading Ovi or Backstrom if possible, still gives me 7 productive guys and one prospect. I think you’re right too that Byfield will be A hot target next year after the guides and analysis come out, given he actually got into some games this year and looked not too out of place. He’ll likely be hard to pry away from a GM going for a younger team, whereas I could replace Ovis 0.9 points per game with the trade, in theory.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I am new to the salary cap game but have definitely noticed a trend in the drafts I have participated in that the young high ranked ELC prospects tend to go quickly and (at least in my league) rarely see someone over $6m go earlier than round 5 or 6, unless its someone with a new home etc. Even if no one bit on a Backstrom/Ovi trade and they were left as FA's I would think you would still have a good chance to redraft them. Always going to be a hard choice when you have aging players that have been absolute studs throughout their career but it also means someone drafting above you may jump at them due to their name and allow someone of better value and a longer career ahead of them to fall to you. I had the same battle with my team and Malkin this season.
    32 Team Salary Cap Dynasty - Fantrax
    Start: 12F, 6D, 2G - Scoring: G/A 1, SOG/Hit/Blk 0.1, W/SHO 1, SV 0.05

F:
    Bemstrom, Meier, Danault, Fantilli, Di Giuseppe, Greenway,
    Hischier, W. Johnston, P. Kane, Marchment,
    Palat, Seguin, Blackwell, Merela, Reaves.

D:
    Ceci, DeAngelo, Girard, Liljegren,
    N. Lundkvist, Walman, Schmidt, Emberson.

G: Sorokin, Quick, Kochetkov.

Minors: Arcuri, Misiak, Nesterenko, Perreault, Ponomayov,

T. Robertson, Simontaival, Soderblom, A. Thompson, Unger Sorum,
    S. Walker, J. Wise, Brunet, Hollowell, Honka, Mynio, Nause,
    Commesso, Hamrla, Portillo, Svedeback, Makiniemi.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The thing with Ovi in a salary cap league is he is a UFA after this season. He's 35 years old. So the million dollar question is, pardon the pun, how much does he sign for and where? Lots of uncertainty there. If he chooses a big home town discount to stay with the Caps for a few more years, he could still have good value. A big money contract, well, not so much. The safe thing to do is move on from Ovi and keep Byfield while he is still yours to keep. Still, Ovi on a two year for 4 Mil a year would be interesting (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    The thing with Ovi in a salary cap league is he is a UFA after this season. He's 35 years old. So the million dollar question is, pardon the pun, how much does he sign for and where? Lots of uncertainty there. If he chooses a big home town discount to stay with the Caps for a few more years, he could still have good value. A big money contract, well, not so much. The safe thing to do is move on from Ovi and keep Byfield while he is still yours to keep. Still, Ovi on a two year for 4 Mil a year would be interesting (:
    I completely forgot about Ovi being UFA.that will make things interesting, ovi at 4 to 6,000,000 per year is significantly different than Ovi at 8.5. something to keep an eye on for sure.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Gerb View Post
    I completely forgot about Ovi being UFA.that will make things interesting, ovi at 4 to 6,000,000 per year is significantly different than Ovi at 8.5. something to keep an eye on for sure.
    Backstrom didn't take a discount so I doubt Ovie will.