Thread: Ristolainen in the Ramblings

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Ristolainen in the Ramblings

Hey guys, I just read today's ramblings featuring the future of the Sabres. Great read, by the way, as it gives us a good idea of where Buffalo is at. I'm just wondering about this quote (cut and paste from the ramblings):

Maybe a little bit less of a leg to stand on here because Ristolainen should have been out of the NHL three years ago. For some reason, the Sabres continue to believe he's some cornerstone or something, which might help inform us as to why the team has sucked for a decade.

I'm wondering about the part that reads, "...because Ristolainen should have been out of the NHL three years ago." I know he's not a star, but is he really not NHL-calibre?
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Ristolainen in the Ramblings

I wasn't sure what was meant by that either.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I looked to see who wrote it, and had my answer as to why it's there. I think it's a crazy take, but everyone's entitled to their opinion on subjective stuff.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Guru

Ristolainen gets a lot of unfair flak. Not sure why.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Star

definitely subjective. risto's advanced metrics are bad but his team has always been bad, so we wont really know unless he changes teams. his counting stats like hits/blocks are good though.

im of the general opinion that every player has their proper role. risto is not a top 2 dman, he may only be a top 4/6 and forced into role hes not good enough for.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    definitely subjective. risto's advanced metrics are bad but his team has always been bad, so we wont really know unless he changes teams. his counting stats like hits/blocks are good though.

im of the general opinion that every player has their proper role. risto is not a top 2 dman, he may only be a top 4/6 and forced into role hes not good enough for.
    Which is a fairer assessment than saying he should not be in the league in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Jedi

When he was playing with McCabe earlier in the year they were one of the mos effective tandems in the NHL. Might have been a 20 game window of effectiveness.. but none-the-less there they were.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4