Thread: Commish Questions - Ineligle Assets Unknowingly Traded

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Commish Questions - Ineligle Assets Unknowingly Traded

So I am the commissioner of a 20+ year old simulation league. This season we switched to Websim Hockey to do our simulations. We are happy with the move and our excited about how it will allow our league to grow going forward...but it's created some problems. The biggest one is that we were unable to move all of our rosters/prospects over to the Websim website as they only allow guys who played an NHL game last year in their database.

This leads to my question. We have a year where only draft picks from the next 2 entry drafts can be traded. It's been a rule for a long time. Websim only shows the next two years of draft picks for each team because that is the league settings we placed. Not all of our team's prospects are on websim so teams are often making trades that include prospects not on Websim and they let me know about it and we update our Master Google Sheet (that has our full rosters/prospect lists/draft picks) with the transactions. Our trade deadline was a few weeks ago and it was the most active one in a few years.

Today, I asked all GMs to update their Google Sheet team and to make sure all of the trades they made were on the Google Sheet Transaction page. Turns out that a new GM made two trades that involved 2013 and 2014 picks that only him and the GMs he made the trades with were aware of. (Don't ask why the other GMs accepted draft picks from that far in the future as that is beside the point). Teams have now played 15 or more games since the trade deadline.

What should I do? Options are to let it go, reverse the trades, give the teams X amount of time to renegotiate a deal that does not involve ineligible draft picks or anything else you can think of.

Example:
    One of the trades was posted as Tyler Seguin (15% salary retained) for Brock Boeser and Patrick Nemeth. I thought that was a fair trade due to salary, age, one GM's love for college kids, etc so I approved the trade. Turns out the real trade was actually Seguin (15% salary retained) for Boeser, Nemeth, 2023 1st, 2024 1st, 2024 2nd, 2024 3rd round picks.
    Last edited by chuckcouples; May 11, 2021 at 1:11 AM. Reason: Corrected years of draft picks

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Commish Questions - Ineligle Assets Unknowingly Traded

Are you in the past?
    I can let you know what the future (2013 and 2014) holds. If you let me in on the profits.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry, the draft picks are for our 2023 and 2024 drafts.

The Great One

You're sort of stuck. Can't really go back and undo the trades. Bigger question is how is it that there are trades being completed without the league's knowledge/visibility?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Pro

Sounds like the entire system is more complicated than it should be. Do you have a big picture way to simplify? Just for the sake of your own sanity, haha.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Icon

The trades were made on Websim with the assets that were listed on that platform. The GMs in the trades did not inform me that there were picks not on the platform included in the trade. I messed up by not forcing GMs to write the trade details down on our Google Sheet before I approved them but all the other trades that had non-listed assets, the GMs emailed me to say Prospect23 is also being sent to Team B. Neither GM did that for these trades so I assumed the full trade was on Websim.

Eventually all of our team assets will be on the Websim platform but it's likely going to take a few years since they don't add players until the offseason after a guy plays his first NHL regular season game. They now do have the entry draft players available in their drafts and I'm pretty sure we can add prospects to the draft list so going forward all prospects will be on the Websim platform but for now there's no easy way to add them. I am hoping I can just add all of our existing prospects into our draft this upcoming off-season and have the teams draft the prospects they already own. I don't actually know if that will work but I'm hoping it will.

My solution was to give the GMs 24 hours to either make a new trade or I am going to reverse the deals before the next set of games is simulated. For one trade, both GMs agreed to just drop the extra draft picks so the deal went from Olli Maata for a 5th and a 2nd and a 3rd to Olli Maata for a 5th.

For the Seguin/Boeser trade, both GMs want to leave the trade as is. Does anyone think this is a fair trade:

Tyler Seguin (15% salary retained) for Brock Boeser, Patrick Nemeth, 2 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick.

Dobber Sports Icon

so if im reading this right, only '21 and '22 picks could have been moved? teh '23 and '24 picks are not eligible to be moved as per your rules correct?

while the NEW owner agreed to the trade, perhaps not fully understanding teh rules, I'm assuming the other GM involved is NOT new and did the trade anyway? therefore he is also in contravention of the rules and like the NEW GM, penalized accordingly. the DPs are forfeited and either returned to their original owner, OR as a lesson learned / penalty, a one time lottery for these picks, allowing the entire league to "win" them. if need be the Winning team(s) trade back their worst picks..or something to that effect.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Pro

That Seguin/Boeser trade seems pretty bad, too. Man, what a gong show.

Dobber Sports Icon

A gong show is a great way to describe it. I started taking shortcuts as the commissioner by making assumptions and it turned out to bite me right in the rear end. Guess that's a lesson to be learned. Don't approve a trade until you know all of its details. And when you have a mentorship program for new GMs, make sure the rules that you've established for it over the past 20 years are followed.