Thread: How to use Dobbers Rankings

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default How to use Dobbers Rankings

Hi guys!

I am sure all of you are familiar with the monthly rankings Dobber releases. It states the keeper league rankings are for points-only dynasty leagues.

My question is regarding the top 300 Keeper League Skaters. In the recent May edition for example, he has players such as Marchessault, Monahan, Keller etc. ahead of a talent like Jack Hughes (who I believe has 90+ upside).

So am I supposed to keep the aforementioned players over Jack? I dont know if Im overrating Hughes potential, or if i’m valuing youth too much, but I feel like if I made that decision I would regret it big time.

Any advice is appreciated!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: How to use Dobbers Rankings

I'm not privy to the exact formula Dobber uses for these rankings, but they do weigh the current season the most, with the value declining for each season in the future. However, it does also take future seasons into account, so don't discredit it completely as just a one-year thing.

Hughes probably has another season or two where he won't outscore any of March, Monahan, or Keller, which is why he's rated lower.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd personally strongly encourage anyone reading those rankings to skew more towards "immediate" returns versus a "future" (e.g. keeper) rankings.

Imagine you're taking a true "keeper" ranking (based a lot more on projection and upside) and squeezing it together with a current/one-year ranking. Your 'older/veteran' producers will slide a bit and your young studs will be a little higher than they would in a straight points-only "this season" ranking... but it doesn't totally capture the longer-term upside/impact a keeper ranking would. (e.g. a dynasty draft list)

Can't recommend enough to grab Dobber's guide where the delineation is clearer. You'll get the BEST one-year projections alongside some realistic ceiling/3YP numbers for the younger guys.

Excellent question though Lights - I questioned it when I first came across it years ago too! Some REP to you for helping others who were wondering but didn't necessarily ask the forum.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    I'd personally strongly encourage anyone reading those rankings to skew more towards "immediate" returns versus a "future" (e.g. keeper) rankings.

Imagine you're taking a true "keeper" ranking (based a lot more on projection and upside) and squeezing it together with a current/one-year ranking. Your 'older/veteran' producers will slide a bit and your young studs will be a little higher than they would in a straight points-only "this season" ranking... but it doesn't totally capture the longer-term upside/impact a keeper ranking would. (e.g. a dynasty draft list)

Can't recommend enough to grab Dobber's guide where the delineation is clearer. You'll get the BEST one-year projections alongside some realistic ceiling/3YP numbers for the younger guys.

Excellent question though Lights - I questioned it when I first came across it years ago too! Some REP to you for helping others who were wondering but didn't necessarily ask the forum.
    agree completely, for example, last year's guide has the Upside/3YP for each as: March - 80/60; keller - 85/70; monahan - 93/73; and hughes - 105/80
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Lights View Post
    Hi guys!

I am sure all of you are familiar with the monthly rankings Dobber releases. It states the keeper league rankings are for points-only dynasty leagues.

My question is regarding the top 300 Keeper League Skaters. In the recent May edition for example, he has players such as Marchessault, Monahan, Keller etc. ahead of a talent like Jack Hughes (who I believe has 90+ upside).

So am I supposed to keep the aforementioned players over Jack? I dont know if Im overrating Hughes potential, or if i’m valuing youth too much, but I feel like if I made that decision I would regret it big time.

Any advice is appreciated!
    If you are looking ahead to next season, then best to wait for the next ratings. These rankings (May 1) still take into account help for this year as well as future. Since Eichel offers 0 help for this year, it hurts his ranking. But his bright future keeps him still fairly high overall.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi