Thread: Donald Cerrone needs to retire

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Donald Cerrone needs to retire

He's been a warrior his whole career(all time UFC wins with 36) from contender to gatekeeper to journeyman. Now he's just plain done. Every fight he takes on is dangerous imo. He has said that he doesn't want to go out like this. I don't know, I hope for his own well being he decides to wrap it up. But I'm not in his shoes. What do you guys think? Any thoughts on the upcoming fights, Poirer vs Mac III, Oliviera vs Chandler, Ferguson vs Daruish, Adesanya vs Vettori. Not sure how hot MMA is on this forum but give it a shot....
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Administrator

Default Re: Donald Cerrone needs to retire

I haven't watched Cerrone since his MacGregor fight but if he's as cooked as you suggest then I'd hope that people are getting in his ear and letting him know to get out, similar to how Rogan and others talked to Brendan Schaub back in the day. It sure seems that win or lose Cerrone just loves the battle, so that may be too strong a pull to walk away from. And like any other athlete it's likely that the sport and others will know that you are done well before you do.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

Yea his recent fight against Morono was ok in the beginning, Cerrone got some good kicks in but Morono's (on 6 days notice) punching power was too much. with 40 seconds left he hit Cerrone and I think broke his nose, not sure. Cerrone couldn't take much more punishment. He hinted he may go back down to 155 but if he does it's for a win and then hopefully retire. But all the hungry guys look at him as an easy W so at 38 I dunno how much more he's got left.

And 100% he loves to battle.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Yea his recent fight against Morono was ok in the beginning, Cerrone got some good kicks in but Morono's (on 6 days notice) punching power was too much. with 40 seconds left he hit Cerrone and I think broke his nose, not sure. Cerrone couldn't take much more punishment. He hinted he may go back down to 155 but if he does it's for a win and then hopefully retire. But all the hungry guys look at him as an easy W so at 38 I dunno how much more he's got left.

And 100% he loves to battle.
    I love watching the UFC. Morono was just looked that much better than Cerrone. I can't decide if Morono was just that much better or Cerrone is done. Cerrone is 0-5 with 1 no contest in his last 6 bouts, so I'm leaning towards Cerrone being done.

You are so right about Cerrone loving the battle. He trained so hard to fight Diego Sanchez and then he has to fight a different guy, so that could have played a role, but I think he should ride off into the sunset before he takes too much damage.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

Another guy who's been a warrior his whole UFC and is slowly losing traction in his final years is Tony Ferguson. At 37 he's still a high energy guy but are his skills enough to win in a very competitive division? His never give up attitude might get him into some deep unnecessary trouble. I wish him the best but his career is/has been definitely on the decline, possibly for years now. He's got a tough fight against Daruish.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Genius

Well Ferguson does need to retire. Looks like his ankle/heel snapped, he didn’t stand right after the heel lock attempt.

Chandler learned a valuable lesson that the UFC is the real deal, just when you thought you knocked your opponent out he comes back and knocked you out. Congrats to Charles and Chandler will be back. Good card, Ferguson and Jacare had some bad breaks but overall pretty entertaining.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Genius

And of course Macgregor is sticking his nose into business he shouldn’t until he deals with Poirer. ��*♂️

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Star

And of course Macgregor is sticking his nose into business he shouldn’t until he deals with Poirer. ��*♂️
    Ahh I remember when Connor was relevant…

And I agree that Cowboy should retire.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Typical McGregor, looking at a potential title fight before his immediate opponent. Looking past Poirier is not a smart move, although it's not like Poirier could ever beat McGregor...oh wait!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

Good to see Felder actually call it a career. A warrior who was in a ton of wars. He’s got a nice cozy UFC commentary job now so I’m happy for him, happy retirement! Now I know he’s only 29 but Cody Garbrandt has been in a lot of fights lately which he hasn’t done very well (1-4 in last 5). Battling injuries, surgeries and even Covid, maybe it’s time he should be thinking of hanging them up. I doubt it would happen because he loves his job and the UFC loves his entertaining fights but I think clock should be ticking.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Genius

Another couple of fighters that need to retire, Damian Maia and Nate Diaz (cuts). Great careers but iiiittt’s time!!! Saw Austin Matthews hanging out with the Beebs. All he’s got is time I guess.

- Roy Kent