Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 100 points in 53 games for Connor McDavid

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: 100 points in 53 games for Connor McDavid

That cross feed to Draisaitl one timer is so money. It's almost as good as the Ovi one timer from the circle. No surprise that's how McDavid got the 100th point.

An amazing feat for sure. Gretzky said it best before last night's game. When he's chasing 100 and others are chasing 70, that tells you how much better he is than everyone else.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

That cross feed to Draisaitl one timer is so money. It's almost as good as the Ovi one timer from the circle. No surprise that's how McDavid got the 100th point.

An amazing feat for sure. Gretzky said it best before last night's game. When he's chasing 100 and others are chasing 70, that tells you how much better he is than everyone else.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

We got it the first time, pal. hehe
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Icon

This is the greatest season in this millenium in the NHL. I predicted he would get 110 points (search this forum) before the season started and I still like his chances of doing that.

Does anyone still think that Nathan Mackinnon should go 1st overall in leagues with salary caps?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

McDavid. Man. It's just crazy.
    Gretzky's career is (about) a 1.5 multiplier on points above the rest/most next tier of NHL all-timers.
    And McDavid is (about) a 1.5 multiplier over rest/most (not Drai) of the other star scorers (around 67pts).
    That's a whole ratio of greatness.
    Amazing. He's amazing.

The highlights from his 100pt game this weekend, alone, were enough for me to eye-squint and shake my head with amazement.
    Some kind of wonderful.

[On a fantasy note: I'm not sure his fantasy owners are hip to how much more valuable he is than the next guy: Draisaitl. Like, if you were lucky enough to draft McDavid in a 1-year league this year, because you got a 1st or 2nd overall pick... count your blessings. Be interesting to know how many McDavid GM 1-year winners do NOT win their league if they have the #6 or #7 or #8 pick in round 1.]

Dobber Sports Jedi

100 in 53 is good but it's not 40 goals in 50 games with an injured wrist
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    [On a fantasy note: I'm not sure his fantasy owners are hip to how much more valuable he is than the next guy: Draisaitl. Like, if you were lucky enough to draft McDavid in a 1-year league this year, because you got a 1st or 2nd overall pick... count your blessings. Be interesting to know how many McDavid GM 1-year winners do NOT win their league if they have the #6 or #7 or #8 pick in round 1.]
    Interesting that you brought this up Peng - I can see this being a really valuable learning moment (for those willing to)

Recently mentioned in my league chat what a treat it has been to watch McD this year and how 100 in 53 is simply remarkable.
    Guy with McD responded by saying that he has McD, top goal-scorer (AM34) and top D (Fox) and is still about to finish 4th. (Although easily could be 2nd if he used his remaining adds down the stretch here)

Point being - McD offers a HUGE advantage but poolies still actually have to "manage" their teams throughout the year to win in a league that's semi-competitive.

If you happen to be the McD owner in your league and didn't win (and weren't rebuilding in a dynasty/keeper format), it's an excellent moment to reflect on your 'team management' strategy and aptitude to get better in years to come.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

The Great One

Just took a quick spin through all my leagues.
    The one league where we stuck to H2H - the McDavid owner finished 4th overall
    In my roto leagues the McDavid owner sits:
    7th of 16
    2nd of 12
    3rd of 10
    6th of 12

So not a guarantee it would seem.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports All-Star

McDavid could turn out to be the greatest ever and 100 pts in 53 games is amazing, but lets be honest here, not to take anything away from the feat but, he played against only 6 teams all year. Good teams, but only one Stanley Cup contender. He would have won the scoring title regardless but i'm not sure he would have the same ppg ratio with the extra travel and so forth. Perhaps there should be an asterisk?

McDavid had 22 pts in 9 gms vs Wpg. 21 pts in 9 gms vs Ott. 18 pts in 10 gms vs Cal. 21 pts in 9 gms vs Vcr. 8 pts in 7 gms vs Mtl and 10 pts in 9 gms vs Tor. He is 21 pts ahead of 2nd place Draisaitl and 33 pts ahead of 3rd place Marner and Marchand. Crazy.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    McDavid could turn out to be the greatest ever and 100 pts in 53 games is amazing, but lets be honest here, not to take anything away from the feat but, he played against only 6 teams all year. Good teams, but only one Stanley Cup contender. He would have won the scoring title regardless but i'm not sure he would have the same ppg ratio with the extra travel and so forth. Perhaps there should be an asterisk?

McDavid had 22 pts in 9 gms vs Wpg. 21 pts in 9 gms vs Ott. 18 pts in 10 gms vs Cal. 21 pts in 9 gms vs Vcr. 8 pts in 7 gms vs Mtl and 10 pts in 9 gms vs Tor. He is 21 pts ahead of 2nd place Draisaitl and 33 pts ahead of 3rd place Marner and Marchand. Crazy.
    I mean, he is 21 points ahead of his own teammate, who had 110 points himself in a full (EDIT: actually not even full) season last year. They played the same games against the same teams.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Just took a quick spin through all my leagues.
    The one league where we stuck to H2H - the McDavid owner finished 4th overall
    In my roto leagues the McDavid owner sits:
    7th of 16
    2nd of 12
    3rd of 10
    6th of 12

So not a guarantee it would seem.
    Think he was refering more to one year point leagues. The McDavid effect would be considerably less in roto and H2H since he doesn't effect goalie stats and peripherals are same value.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post

It makes me sad that people seem to have the need to overwhelmingly bring up this point. I don’t know if people do it because they are bitter their guy is doing worse, if they just tend to see the worst of a situation, or if they legitimately think that way. He isn’t cheating (ala Barry Bonds or Mark McGuire), it’s not his fault; he doesn’t make the schedule. Why would there need to be an asterisk by this?

It’s not like he hasn’t been doing this for years. He is a pretty talented player giving us some pretty spectacular hockey, practically nightly. Can’t you just enjoy it?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It makes me sad that people seem to have the need to overwhelmingly bring up this point. I don’t know if people do it because they are bitter their guy is doing worse, if they just tend to see the worst of a situation, or if they legitimately think that way. He isn’t cheating (ala Barry Bonds or Mark McGuire), it’s not his fault; he doesn’t make the schedule. Why would there need to be an asterisk by this?

It’s not like he hasn’t been doing this for years
    It's simply because it makes it an apples-to-oranges comparison with other seasons. It's never really apples-to-apples, but clearly this season is unique. It's not to diminish what he's doing, but context is important. How many points would he have if he played the last place team for all 56 games? How many would he have if he played the first place team 56 times?

Dobber Sports Sage

Come to think of it. So my 1 year pts league I play with friends (except this year we decided to have a lockout)
    I have won 3 times and pretty sure had the top fantasy point producer each time.
    Ovi
    Kane (drafted him 7th round because that was his legal issue year and didn't know if he was even going to play)
    Kucherov (120 pts)
    I'll have to go back and check to see if the other GM had the top one or not. I'm guessing one year he did, one year he didn't.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

It’s not like he hasn’t been doing this for years. He is a pretty talented player giving us some pretty spectacular hockey, practically nightly. Can’t you just enjoy it?

Rylant
    I've had McDavid on my team for all 6 of his years and i've enjoyed every single game. I said he could be the best player of all time. I bring up the point because it's a different season than normal. It's not going to diminish what he's done but it should be acknowledged that it was done under different circumstances. No other scoring champ has won their title playing against less than a quarter of the other teams. That's all.