Thread: Angels Releasing Albert Pujols

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Angels Releasing Albert Pujols

Pujols, 41, is in the final year of the 10-year contract he signed with Los Angeles prior to the 2012 season.
    The Angels are releasing future Hall of Famer Albert Pujols, the team announced Thursday.
    I wonder if some bottom team that has trouble selling tickets will pick him up for the remainder of the year.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/05/06/al...eleased-angels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Angels Releasing Albert Pujols

This just feels wrong.
    One of the greatest hitters of our lifetimes shouldn't have his career end like this.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    This just feels wrong.
    One of the greatest hitters of our lifetimes shouldn't have his career end like this.
    I agree!

If only the NL had adopted the universal DH .... Pujols could sign back in St.Louis!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Deserves it to be honest.

Ohtani is your DH, Pujols is just wasting his final yr on the bench not playing.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Deserves it to be honest.

Ohtani is your DH, Pujols is just wasting his final yr on the bench not playing.
    im assuming there was a conversation about him retiring or just leaving on his own and he didn't want to do it so he got released. I dont think Angels told him this as a surprise.

Either way it sucks as he was one of the greats but father time catches up to everybody, he should have put needs of the team over his own.....He has been paid way more than his production over last few years. Angels were loyal to him, im not sure what happens but it smells like he wanted nothing to do with helping them out.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    im assuming there was a conversation about him retiring or just leaving on his own and he didn't want to do it so he got released. I dont think Angels told him this as a surprise.

Either way it sucks as he was one of the greats but father time catches up to everybody, he should have put needs of the team over his own.....He has been paid way more than his production over last few years. Angels were loyal to him, im not sure what happens but it smells like he wanted nothing to do with helping them out.
    He was mad he was benched against a leftie and saw his playing time diminish. Guy has won 2 world series already and he's personal stat hunting.

30HR behind A-Rod, 74 hits away from top 10 all time in hits, 186 RBIs from all time leader, 72 runs from top 10 in runs.

He knows he only has a limited number of games left, and he needs to be in them to get these records. I'm not even sure if a team will sign him for the PR. Like Detroit or Orioles maybe? I'd be pretty surprised if a team legit wanted him. He hurts your team more than anything so him being on the team needs to be PR only.

They should have traded him to the Cards for Player to Be Named Later.

And the Cards could have sold a tonne more Pujols jerseys... and he could have retired a Cardinal.

And played DH when they they played AL teams.

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    They should have traded him to the Cards for Player to Be Named Later.

And the Cards could have sold a tonne more Pujols jerseys... and he could have retired a Cardinal.

And played DH when they they played AL teams.
    I have a strong feeling he'll retire as a Card. Either a 1day contract, or he'll just end up there for fan service.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post

Lets be honest, he's been a below average ball player for a few years now.

Ken Rosenthal had a good article on him on The Athletic. From what he said, they were looking at Pujols as nothing more than a bench player now with better options playing in front of him (Walsh), both offensively and defensively. They had a meeting with him the night before they released him and I assume discussed how they felt about him and he disagreed (not surprisingly). The next day he was released so I am going to assume it was a mutual decision. He still wants to play regularly and the Angels have better options.

Rosenthal ended his article this way, and he says it well:

It is all so awkward. Saying goodbye to a legend is never easy. An all-time great such as Pujols does not deserve to be embarrassed. But the entire day was uncomfortable, right down to a question during the news conference about whether the Angels planned to honor Pujols in some fashion.

Carpino hesitated, trying to find the right answer.

“Albert is passionate about continuing to play,” he said, “so it’s hard to do that.”
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Pujols didnt age gracefully which is always the risk with these crazy long-term big money contracts that start in their 30s.

Usually you get amazing production the first few years producing a WAR well above the expected $/WAR ratio then it tails off as he ages. He was maybe breaking even the first 4 seasons then has been replacement level since. 5 years of basically replacement level production for 24m per.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Genius

Not many 44 year olds can hang with MLB players.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Immortal

What a career though. He was the #1 when I started playing fantasy baseball but I don't think I was ever able to grab him in a draft.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    Pujols didnt age gracefully which is always the risk with these crazy long-term big money contracts that start in their 30s.

Usually you get amazing production the first few years producing a WAR well above the expected $/WAR ratio then it tails off as he ages. He was maybe breaking even the first 4 seasons then has been replacement level since. 5 years of basically replacement level production for 24m per.

I’m from StL and wow was he impressive from the start. From everything I’ve seen and read, and I may be wrong. But I think he fibbed on his age and is really 5 years or so older.