Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rangers fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Rangers fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Can you ever remember a team firing it's GM and President for lack of production before the coach? Man, I can't. That's why I think that whole performance reason is BS.
    My thoughts ran exactly to this... Only scenario I see is they refused to fire the coach after ownership asked and so they got sacked instead...

Very very odd. JD has a rep of being outspoken.. perhaps in the war of egos, he lost to the owner (as he would) and Gorton stuck up for JD, so he got sacked too. I didn't think this season was worth firing them.. Lots of injuries.. DeAngelo fiasco which Gorton handled marvellously... They were turning a corner and maybe in an 82 game year they make the playoffs, even in this division.. Heck look at the Flyers... they should clean everyone out by this standard.

Nah, I disagree with this move... Makes no sense. Probably back office politics.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Star

It's James Dolan. How ownership is supposed to behave goes out the window (for better and for worse)
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Stud

From what I am reading, Coach Quinn was the new GM's boy so that isn't so surprising. Unusual yes, surprising no.

I gotta tell you boys, this one stings

I was skeptical over JD but found him to be competent at the job. My worry at the time was that he was and is beloved by the faithful and to see him thrown overboard what I believe to be prematurely is going to have lingering issues. These are the same fans that cannot get over Ulfie Nilsson and Potvin all those years ago. That whistle chant will not be Dolan s$#%s

Reading alot of folks are throwing away or burning jerseys. Walking away from the franchise. This day will be long remembered

I'm very sad today
    Cartman would be loving our tears
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    What. The. ****.

Ok, so now that I've had a few minutes to process and get over the initial shock here goes...

This is performance-related. Dolan could have been talked off the ledge for a non-playoff season but getting completely owned by the Islanders this past week put his finger on the trigger. Hearing scuttlebut from guys like Messier about the team being too soft and the Wilson incident made him start to pull. JD and GMJG not being on the same page with "The Statement" and Drury being such a highly regarded exec who was taking over the reins sooner or later made this happen now.

If Drury becomes GM (unclear if he has an interim label at the moment) I think the team will be fine - He's good and he's been all over this rebuild. It's more or less a formality. The issue is Team President. Sather had Dolan's ear and kept him out of hockey. Word is JD did not have the same relationship, hence the dismissal. The incoming president has to decide whether or not he keeps Drury (insanity to let him go, in my opinion) and manage Dolan better to keep his focus on the MSG hardwood and not its ice.

Edit: Apparently Drury confirmed as President and GM. Last point stands - control Dolan or the rebuild goes to waste.
    So does Drury keep Dolan out of the hockey scene? My bet is he does not.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

What a shock. I do think they just wanted Drury for the job and maybe this whole Wilson thing pushed it all over edge? Who knows. But expecting them to make the playoffs in that division was a fools hope. Especially after the start from Zib and the absence of Panarin.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

This is just my opinion, and based only on my experience learning to "manage up" to my bosses, is it can be done. I think the difference here will be on-ice results. Performance absolves all sins, or something like that. If this team makes the playoffs next year and becomes tougher to play against then Drury will be able to keep Dolan away from hockey operations. Dolan's not known as a rational, level-headed, deep thinker. You can give all the excuses you want for this year's team (Mika's Covid, Bread's Putin, etc) but at the end of the day the team is either performing or its not. The man is the worst of the twitter/reddit trolls and lost patience and realized he had the ability to change things.

Dobber Sports Master

And they were fined 250k today for the statement... which actually did some good in pointing to the fact that Parros the Puppet is just doing what the NHL wants, and so since the NHL and BoGs has the ultimate power, fining the Rangers was the very easy thing to do.

It's clear they had to keep Drury and he was probably made assurances once he steered away from the PIT opening. Like BriseBois in Tampa, the competent assistants get offers and teams have to make decisions on who to keep. Yzerman had the easy out of wanting to go to DET so he left on his own terms, whilst providing the opening BriseBois needed (and it was the latter's fingerprints all over that Bolts team). This is no different, except there was no resignation to come, so with a hasty owner, he just throws the axe in order to provide Drury the opportunity that the market was going to give him anyway.

Doesn't mean JD and Gorton deserved to get fired, but in pro sports, rarely do people get what they deserve, in fact very rarely. See no further than Mr. Wilson...
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

Fining the New York Rangers has now proven two things. First, their statement was 50 times worse than what Tom Wilson did. Second, George Parros’ feelings were permanently damaged. Panarin?? Ehh, he’ll be fine.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Star

I am fine with the fine of the team. It wasn’t a statement from the NHL that was incorrect, it was a statement that it shouldn’t have been aired publicly. The NBA or NFL would have done the same thing.

I am also fine with the Rangers doing it in the first place. They knew they would be fined and did it anyway. They totally Martyred themselves here.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Fining the New York Rangers has now proven two things. First, their statement was 50 times worse than what Tom Wilson did. Second, George Parros’ feelings were permanently damaged. Panarin?? Ehh, he’ll be fine.
    well no....what it proves is that league cant allow individual teams to dictate anything no matter how right they are. Well not publicly at least.

i obviously have no idea if im right and i could be totally wrong here but im gonna say that Gary agrees with general opinion on Tom Wilson's actions and the fact that he should have been suspended. I also think they told Parros that this was wrong and better not happen again....but in public eyes they need to protect the league and Parros is part of that.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Veteran

My take:

1 - The big travesty here is that the team is on the cusp of dominance (its almost insane how stacked this team is) and the two men responsible for it will never see the fruits of their labour ripen. Truly a shame.
    2 - Ex-goons should not be the ones writing tickets to current goons. It might work with ex-hackers getting by hired government agencies as consultants, but in this case I think it would make more sense if they hires clean players to determine what is a clean or dirty play.
    3 - They also need to make change the rules to allow for post-game review of game play to determine if any "non hockey" offenses occurred. It's not right to let players walk if the official misses a suspension worthy infraction.

Now, if they want dirty hockey to continue, that's fine too, but don't be contradictory about it.

Dobber Sports Master

it sounds like Sather is there to act as a bridge between the two .

it will be interesting to see who drury brings aboard

Dobber Sports Veteran

David Quinn and the majority of the coaching staff have been axed by Drury this morning