Thread: Keeper Decision Assistance

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Keeper Decision Assistance

Hey Guys,

I am currently stuck on deciding my keepers. Currently I plan on keeping Pettersson, Kaprizov, Laine, Stuetzle, Dahlin and Fox. Would any of you think it would be smarter to keep a Necas or Caufield or Kakko?

League Details and current team:

12 Team - 17 Players
    6 Keepers league w/Yahoo

C: Larkin, Hertl, Karlsson, Hischier, Pettersson
    LW: Stuetzle, Laine, Kaprizov, Fiala
    RW: Copp, Kakko, Necas, Caufield
    D: Dahlin, Karlsson, Fox
    G: Lehner, Campbell, Saros

(G) 3 (A) 2 (+/-) 0.5 (PIM) 0.5 (PPP) 1 (SHG) 1 (GWG) 2
    (Shots) 0.1 (W) 3 (GA) -1 (SV) 0.2 (SHO) 5
    12 Team - 17 Players
    6 Keepers league w/Yahoo

(G) 3 (A) 2 (+/-) 0.5 (PIM) 0.5 (PPP) 1 (SHG) 1 (GWG) 2
    (Shots) 0.1 (W) 3 (GA) -1 (SV) 0.2 (SHO) 5

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Keeper Decision Assistance

A little LW heavy but it looks like you will be keeping the best 6 possible. At the draft your priority should be RW then G. A lot of ppl would be hesitant about Laine but he's young and a potential 50G scorer in the right situation.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Keeper Decision Assistance

Tier A Keepers: Petterrson, Kaprizov, Fox
    Tier B (fringe) Keepers: Dahlin, Laine, Larkin, Fiala, Saros
    Tier C (future upside) Keepers: Hischier, Kakko, Necas, Stuetzle, Caufield, Campbell

In a keep 6, future prospects are hardly kept, because there is no way for certain to know when they will produce. With that in mind, I would like Hischier (may be replaced by Hughes as top line C), Kakko (lots of depth in NYR, so Kakko may take a bit to get top line minutes), Necas (will never see top line minutes on his teams depth chart unless injury), Stuetzle (OTT still has a ways to go yet), Caufield (MON use of forwards is really hit or miss) and Campbell (may become TOR's starter, but totally unknown) walk, and look to re-draft if you feel they are posed to break through.

Petterrson, Kaprizov and Fox are for sure locks. No debate with those 3.

That leaves Dahlin, Laine, Larkin, Fiala and Saros. Dahlin does have huge upside being a #1 pick years back, and started to show some positive growth at the end of this year. Laine's situation is REALLY tough to know, as if he stays in CBJ, I wouldn't keep him, but if he gets moved, then maybe he has the ability to bounce back. Larkin will be the top guy on a rebuilding team, and will get tons of opportunity. Fiala is showing his skill, but at the same time, he plays the same position as Kaprizov and on the same team... only 1 of them will get top line minutes. Lastly, Saros, who has been REALLY strong late in this season, and is likely the sole reason why NAS may make the playoffs.

With all of that said, my personal thoughts would be Dahlin, Larkin and Saros as my final 3 from what you have.

If your league allows offseason trading, I would potentially look to see if there are some weaker teams who are also lacking top quality keepers, or maybe a GM who puts high value on prospects (like Caulfield), and try to flip some players to nab a top 40/50 skater (like Kyle Connor, Jason Robertson, Ryan Strome, Teuvo Teravainen). Worst case, try to flip some mid-round picks for a keeper that is likely to be dropped by a top team, as I imagine the 1st or 2nd place team has 7-8 quality keepers.

Hope this helps!
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)