Thread: Who's the Better Points Only Own? Holloway, Amirov or Lapierre?

Dobber Sports Pro

Question Who's the Better Points Only Own? Holloway, Amirov or Lapierre?

For the second team in my sig, I've got a pickup left and might grab a prospect for next season (or as replacement if I trade one of mine away). Which of these three should I grab? Is there one of these three that should replace of of my current 5 minors keepers? Thanks! REP left as always.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Who's the Better Points Only Own? Holloway, Amirov or Lapierre?

puerly based on upside i think Lapierre has highest ceiling ...however there are questions about his game and who knows if he makes it and at which level he plays when he does

I think Holloway is the safest bed to get you something at NHL level but i be surprised if he is much more than 40-50 point guy

Amirov is hardest to asses...we dont even know if he will cross and when just like may Russians..and if he is part of the leafs when he does it will be long way to get into the lineup, just look at Robertson.

so personally since non of them are sure superstars, i would be shooting for highest upside which is Lapierre in my eyes.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Initiate

People put too much stock into Hendrix Lapierre's upside. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see it. I would say many NHL teams agree, or else he wouldn't have fallen down in the draft because of the risk/reward nature leaning more-so towards the risk end... because, well, his injuries. The skill is there, but it's not just about skill. Durability is important and how one develops. Kid can't seem to catch a break, except that, he break a lot. Ba-da-dun! I am scared with all the important developmental time he's missed due to injuries. These are the most essential years for a young player. It defines whether you're a star-to-franchise player or just a good middle-six forward with offensive flare. A good comparison is Gabriel Vilardi. Granted he's missed more time than Gab, but the point is I think Vilardi's upside will be impacted due to the games he's missed. Also you're never the same after those injuries.

Add to the fact he's not even the best player on his Junior team. That's reserved for Dawson Mercer who has 43 goals and 96 points over 65 games in his last 2 seasons. Mercer has better hands, better positioning, better tracking and understanding of the game on a 200-foot capacity, and is more durable and has no quit to his motor.

Dylan Holloway is the correct answer here. The verdict going into the start of his Draft year was that he could possibly go top 3 because of his size and skillset. Unfortunately Wisconsin wasn't the program that many had thought they churn out because of namesakes such as Cole Caufield, Alex Turcotte, K'Andre Miller, Wyatt Kalynuk, and Holloway leading the charge. With Tony Granato as the head coach, returnees of Miller and Kalynuk and the new additions, they were expected to do much better than they did. Including Dylan, which is partly why he fell to the Oilers. Which lets be honest, can be both good for player and team. Despite his underwhelming freshman year, the upside was there. Moving along, he had a massive Draft +1 year, especially when he returned from the World Juniors. Don't sleep on this kid. He's going to be good.

Rodion Amirov is the next best kid on this list. But I haven't paid enough attention to him, but all I know is that he's highly skilled, had a good WJC U20 showing, and many believe in his upside. I like the numbers. The only problem is finding room in the Leafs big top-six. That's still years away and lots can and will change.

Going back to Lapierre, the good take away is how old the Caps team is (oldest in the NHL), and the available spots that might open up in a few years due to an aging core.
    Last edited by Eli26; June 14, 2021 at 3:55 AM.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Pro

I was looking through the waiver wire and came upon Phillip Tomasino - who Dobber has ranked quite a bit higher than the others I mentioned. Would you guys agree that Tomasino is a good pickup over Holloway, Amirov & Lapierre?
    G - Skinner

F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Tomasino has the clearest path right now.

In pts only for upside I'd go Tomasino > Amirov >> Lapierre > Holloway (who will be a multicat stud)
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Wizard

yeah i think Tomasino is your pick..i would have Lapierre second and Amirov 3rd myself.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks guys! I only had one pickup left, so I used it on Tomasino. Now my plan is to trade away a few of my minors keepers over the off-season for pick upgrades in future years. Which ones should I make sure I keep (points only)? I've got 5 spots, and I own currently Newhook, Perfetti, Tomasino, Holtz, McMichael, Denisenko, Quinn, Turcotte & Swayman.
    G - Skinner

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Rockies & Hockeys View Post
    I was looking through the waiver wire and came upon Phillip Tomasino - who Dobber has ranked quite a bit higher than the others I mentioned. Would you guys agree that Tomasino is a good pickup over Holloway, Amirov & Lapierre?
    Sorry I didn't see this until much later, but yeah I like him more today, but Holloway for tomorrow. I also like to avoid getting Nashville Predator forwards as they seem to be fantasy disappointments year-in and year-out. I don't remember when the last 70 point Pred was... Was that Steve Sullivan who split half of the season with another team (so he doesn't count) or was it JP Dumont? Nope, it was Paul Kariya back in 06/07 when he had 76 points. The Preds franchise record is 85. And that happened eons ago. Yuck!

Dobber Sports Deity

Considering the Oilers weakness at LW, im not sure I'd say Tomasino has a clearer path than Holloway. If not for the injury, I'd say Holloway would have been playing playoff hockey in Edmonton last month, most likely in the top six.

Moot point now considering you've made your move and this thread is a little dated but thought it was noteworthy.

Nothing against Tomasino but I tend to reserve expectations on Predator forwards.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

hymm interesting..i was thinking that Lavoie would get first crack at LW with oilers.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    hymm interesting..i was thinking that Lavoie would get first crack at LW with oilers.
    After reading comments from Jay Woodcroft about Lavoies AHL early experience, he's going to be good but still needs time.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Love Raphael Lavoie. He's gonna be eff'ing good. Should have been a 1st round pick. That being said I still like Dylan Holloway more.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Super hard to compare this group being in different leagues.

But Tomasino's AHL rookie season was undeniably good.
    Usually that translates pretty well into good NHL production... so I'd definitely be taking him over the three guys listed.

Of the three...
    I only got a chance to watch Holloway play an actual NHL game this year - and he (& Caufield) looked great in two NCAA games I watched.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I like Tomasino but I would take a chance on Holloway playing with the big boys on Edmonton sooner rather than later!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..