Thread: The Best Young Players (Under 28) Players To Draft?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default The Best Young Players (Under 28) Players To Draft?

Hi all.

I've recently joined a 31 team Salary Cap Dynasty, it's my first cap league, so going full baptism of fire. It's full rosters, mimicking the NHL (cap too)

I have my first pick in the Inaugural Draft 23rd overall, and it's a snake draft.

It seems based on the talk in the league, it's going to be split between teams going for the win and those rebuilding from the start, I'm considering going for the best player available for the first 5 rounds or so, then picking the best youngsters who will be in the league for my depth players. Who are the best players who I should be targeting that might go unpicked for a little bit?

I'm thinking players like
    Nic and Jason Robertson, Caulfield, Byfield, Drysdale, all players who will be in the league next year probably.

Then depth players I'm considering the likes of Donato, Kase, Galchenyuk, Kerfoot.

Is this a good strategy? It'll keep me competitive for many years etc. Also, when should I take a goalie in this league? I'm considering targeting someone like Shesterkin with my 2nd pick or so.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: The Best Young Players (Under 28) Players To Draft?

When to take goalies will be a bit related to how the scoring is set up. If this is a 31 team dynasty that is using the actual NHL cap, that's going to get a bit ugly overall, and goalies will be hard to get, so getting a Shesterkin in round 2 would be good, but it may not be possible, and you may find that his cap number is an issue quickly. However, it can work. I have a feeling he might be gone before you pick in round 2,though.

Having that first pick is great. I'd be willing to trade down to #3, honestly. Depends on what you can get for it. I view McDavid, MacKinnon, and Draisatl as the top 3, and the order is dependent on format somewhat.

I suspect you will find that this league will permanently have a large number of non-competitive teams, and with that many teams, it's dicey how long it survives with 31 active teams, so I'd recommend not planning to be a long-term builder right away.

Posting more scoring/roster details will help us help you more.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    When to take goalies will be a bit related to how the scoring is set up. If this is a 31 team dynasty that is using the actual NHL cap, that's going to get a bit ugly overall, and goalies will be hard to get, so getting a Shesterkin in round 2 would be good, but it may not be possible, and you may find that his cap number is an issue quickly. However, it can work. I have a feeling he might be gone before you pick in round 2,though.

Having that first pick is great. I'd be willing to trade down to #3, honestly. Depends on what you can get for it. I view McDavid, MacKinnon, and Draisatl as the top 3, and the order is dependent on format somewhat.

I suspect you will find that this league will permanently have a large number of non-competitive teams, and with that many teams, it's dicey how long it survives with 31 active teams, so I'd recommend not planning to be a long-term builder right away.

Posting more scoring/roster details will help us help you more.
    hey Steve! Thank you for the message and help, I think my wording threw you off, I have the 23rd pick in the first round, haha, sorry.

who would you target here? I think someone like Makar would be good.

it’s a bangers league but the peripheral points are not a major contributor, goals and assists are the main factor as well as some things to help depth players and PK’ers.

smart to think about the longevity, I think it will last, the owner has other leagues that have been going for years but I guess you never know

Dobber Sports Deity

My recommendation would be to buy Dobbers Fantasy Hockey Geek product. When is your draft? I ask because if it's not until later in the year, Dobber's projections can configure a draft list for you. If it's before August, you can simply choose this past seasons production to create a list for you, again, based on your league setup. You say it's a bangers league so chances are guys who hit a lot would rank high, as they should.

https://dobbersports.com/product/fan...eek-draft-kit/

Personally, if it's me, in a league this big, I am grabbing a high end goalie early. I wont be surprised if there's a goalie run starting right around your pick anyway. Seems to be a popular time to go on one. You don't want to be waiting until the 3rd or 4th round to get a goalie scrap.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

speaking of Dobber guides. Any news on when prospect guide comes out this year?..i think normally its around end of May but this year, like last is far from normal.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm actually in a similar position in a league. I would recommend taking a top goalie if they are available at 20, if its middle tier and the goalie run hasn't properly started yet, I'd probably say round 2 is fine.

Players I'd be targeting that could go under the radar (not necessarily in a specific round, but look at them every now and then);
    Fox, Kaprizov, Theodore, Pionk, Provorov.
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Pro

I’m still trying to understand why someone would rebuild in a brand new league.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I’m still trying to understand why someone would rebuild in a brand new league.
    I'm thinking they must mean "focus almost exclusively on young talent and guys with lots of room to grow". This would mean drafting Byfield instead of Malkin, or Norris instead of Bergeron. Teams planning to be super strong 2-3 years from now but probably weak next year, who won't need to off-load old guys once they decline.

Not saying this is better or worse - just saying I'm pretty sure that's what "rebuild from the start" means.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Icon

I would forget about targeting guys that are going to help you win for the next 10 years and focus on those that will help you win over the next 2 or 3 years. Most leagues never get past year one let alone year 2 or 3 so don't plan to be competitive for the long haul. Most fantasy GMs focus too much on the future and never plan for the present. There is a lot of market inefficiency in older valuable players so those would be who I would be drafting. If you win in year 1, it doesn't matter how long it takes you to win again since you already have a championship. If you plan for the next decade, you will likely never win.

As for a goalie, it is very difficult to judge when to pick a goalie in a league that size for two reasons. 1) No clue as to what other GMs will be doing. 2) No idea how valuable goalies will actually be.

With that said, my advice for goalies would be to do the math. Figure out your league settings, put in the goalies stats over the past 2 seasons (more if possible), adjust the stats to what you think they will do next year, then figure out where the tiers are. Chances are pretty good that there will be the following tiers:

Tier 1: Andrei Vasilevski
    Tier 2: 3 or 4 other goalies
    Tier 3: 10 -15 goalies
    Tier 4: Back up goalies with good chances of becoming starters
    Tier 5: Likely back up goalies

Once you have your goalies in tiers, you have a much easier way of deciphering when to draft a goalie. If the tier is almost done, then it's time to draft a goalie. If there are lots of names still in the tier, then you can likely pass until the next round. However, goalie runs are very common in hockey drafts so beware.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Sorry for my confusion earlier, I must have just read first pick, and had my brain turn off, as I was here just before bed.

Technically one can't "rebuild" in a brand new league, they can just build. That said, people will have different focuses.

I strongly agree with Chuck about tiering, but I'd want to tier goalies and defensemen. I'm sure I would not tier them the same way, but I'd tier them. Probably more tiers, with some specifics like cap bargain possible starters (ELC guys who are in the league and getting decent volume, plus your guys who are cheap in a tandem and an unsettled situation - like Nilsson/Stalock last year) plus cap albatross guys to avoid, call them tier NO ( hello, Martin Jones)

That said, it's been so long since I drafted fresh in hockey dynasty (got Hasek/Roy as my goalie tandem in a submitted list draft) and never in a cap league. Everything since that has been rebuilding takeover teams.

One thing that helps immensely is to use Cap Friendly. You'll see how long players are under contract for, and you can get a feel for when they will switch from great value to something else.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.