Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Extended season

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Extended season

Yahoo has offered the option to extend the season by a week. In a roto league, what are your thoughts on this? For me specifically, I am commissioner of the Dobber tiered leagues plus a league of my own and I am not sure how I feel about it. My inclination is that all games should be counted and, as I lead both the leagues I’m playing in, this can only hurt me but it’s possible that people have specifically adjusted their strategy to the current end point and they may have done differently otherwise. Although, it was always a thought of mine that Yahoo would eventually get around to this extension.

Administrator

Default Re: Extended season

My initial thoughts is to keep it as is because it's been so long and teams are already building their rosters with a May 8th finish in mind. But that's just me. Work it out with the members in your league.

I mean, Yahoo had previously announced it would NOT be extending the season.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

The season is not over until the last game is played. I say play them. This has been a stranger year, just keep rolling with the strange.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Wolverine

Copied my comments from the other thread:

Good for them to finally give the option but again (like the max games' issue at the start of the year) they waited too late given managers will be planning for the end date. They needed to be more proactive (especially when we asked for this weeks' ago) rather than waiting less than two weeks before the end of the original end of season.

And like Eric said, they announced they wouldn't be extending it, so that impacts managers planning even more.

Dobber Sports Master

if your league has max gp per position of 56 games (roto or points leagues)I'd imagine the wise gm's have been budgeting accordingly so it might upset some .

I run a casual points league on fantrax with max 56 gp per position and announced that I'd continue extending the season as its been an option all along to do so with admin tools .

Dobber Sports Immortal

I don't think the roto leagues should be extended. If they didn't come out a few weeks ago saying they were NOT doing this, then maybe I'd be ok with it. But we're less than 2 weeks away from the end here.

This is coming from someone in 2nd who would benefit greatly from the extended season because the guy in 1st is almost out of games.

Dobber Sports Icon

As a member of the Dobber leagues, I don't really care either way. The sad thing is that no matter which choice you make, it's going to piss off a good chunk of people.

The fair thing is likely to leave it as is but I would leave it up to each individual league managers to make the decision.

Yahoo flip-flopping their stance on this so late in the season is a brutal decision
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    As a member of the Dobber leagues, I don't really care either way. The sad thing is that no matter which choice you make, it's going to piss off a good chunk of people.

The fair thing is likely to leave it as is but I would leave it up to each individual league managers to make the decision.

Yahoo flip-flopping their stance on this so late in the season is a brutal decision
    This is my dilemma. I am commissioner of seven leagues that I play no part in. And you would think that would make it easier but I don't really care which way they are played out and that makes making a decision harder IMO. I made decisions to sacrifice goalie games in order to maximize skater games. I am pretty close to maxing out, and the Expert league kept a 65 GP limit, but if I had known for sure that I had an extra week than I may have kept another goalie for a few more weeks. But extending the season gives those who kept more goalies a chance to catch up in skater games. And I don't really care, personally, but if some other guy has made the same kind of decision in another league, I don't want to give his opponents, who made different decisions, a chance to screw him over. Voting seems like an idea but that takes time.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by duntroon68 View Post
    This is my dilemma. I am commissioner of seven leagues that I play no part in. And you would think that would make it easier but I don't really care which way they are played out and that makes making a decision harder IMO. I made decisions to sacrifice goalie games in order to maximize skater games. I am pretty close to maxing out, and the Expert league kept a 65 GP limit, but if I had known for sure that I had an extra week than I may have kept another goalie for a few more weeks. But extending the season gives those who kept more goalies a chance to catch up in skater games. And I don't really care, personally, but if some other guy has made the same kind of decision in another league, I don't want to give his opponents, who made different decisions, a chance to screw him over. Voting seems like an idea but that takes time.
    Voting is the only way to avoid the issue of you being accused of making the wrong decision.

Draft a standard post, post it in each league and let the GMs decide for themselves. You will likely get close to full participation in the Stanley league. Pro/Entry leagues you may hear from 50-75%. I'd set a deadline for response as Thursday or Friday. Tally the votes and make the change on a league by league basis.

You already made a post in the Campbell league, so I assume you have done the same across the board. Wait for the responses and if you get any criticism about decisions, don't let it get to you.

Thanks again for taking on commissioning these leagues man! I know it's a bit of a thankless job. We really appreciate that you took it on.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Great One

I second the hearty “thank you” for taking over these leagues! It’s work but it’s greatly appreciated. The vote idea is clearly the way to go and again, if anyone complains about the outcome to a voted on issue in a league you run on a volunteer basis for a bunch fantasy crazed jack wagons do not let it bother you one bit. As Moses said...it’s a strange year. Murphy has been had at work this fantasy season for sure.
    Entropy increases...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Immortal

Yes big thanks once again to taking this on.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'll echo the thanks. This has been the toughest year I can remember as far as trying to commish in a way that is transparent, fair, and forward-thinking. I'm also going to echo 4T2's comment. If there was any chance Yahoo was going to be doing this, they should have phrased the earlier decision differently. Just brutal.
    Yahoo 12-team H2H partial keeper league (keep 7 vets + 3 prospects (p = skater <201 gp; goalie < 101gp))

G,A,P,PIM,+/-,PPP,SOG,FW,hits, blocks, W,GAA,SV%,Saves
    Start 3/3/3/5/2

C: Kopitar, P. Suter, Carlsson (p), Lundell (p), Norris
    LW: B. Tkachuk, Stutzle (c), Colton (c), Ehlers
    RW: Rantanen, Caufield (lw), Svechnikov (lw), Foegele (lw)
    D: Dahlin, Andersson, Chychrun, Montour, Sanheim, Matheson, Faber (p)
    G: Talbot, Forsberg, Daws (p), Wolf (p, NA)
    IR: Fantilli, Sergachev, Jeannot, Ingram
    NA: Levi

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    My initial thoughts is to keep it as is because it's been so long and teams are already building their rosters with a May 8th finish in mind. But that's just me. Work it out with the members in your league.

I mean, Yahoo had previously announced it would NOT be extending the season.
    Yes, this exactly!! Nothing else needs added.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Is there going to be a deadline for these votes?

Dobber Sports Wizard

well in roto leagues wouldn't that mean that everybody gets same amount of games? which would be fair.

I think this maybe unfair in H2H as im assuming the extended schedule is not exactly balanced but i didnt check.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones