Thread: Goalie Strategy: Workhorse or 2 time shares?!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Goalie Strategy: Workhorse or 2 time shares?!

Wondering everyones personal opinion on their salary cap goalie strategies. My league is 2 points/win, 1 point for OTL, and bonus 2 for a shutout.

I am debating spending big money on a work horse like Vasilevskiy $11m but am unsure if that is worth it over running 2 goalies in time shares like Sorokin and Vanecek (as examples) which would also save me cap space but would also take up one of my 4 bench spots.

Which way you have tried or prefer and why?!

Thanks everyone
    32 Team Salary Cap Dynasty - Fantrax
    Start: 12F, 6D, 2G - Scoring: G/A 1, SOG/Hit/Blk 0.1, W/SHO 1, SV 0.05

F:
    Bemstrom, Meier, Danault, Fantilli, Di Giuseppe, Greenway,
    Hischier, W. Johnston, P. Kane, Marchment,
    Palat, Seguin, Blackwell, Merela, Reaves.

D:
    Ceci, DeAngelo, Girard, Liljegren,
    N. Lundkvist, Walman, Schmidt, Emberson.

G: Sorokin, Quick, Kochetkov.

Minors: Arcuri, Misiak, Nesterenko, Perreault, Ponomayov,

T. Robertson, Simontaival, Soderblom, A. Thompson, Unger Sorum,
    S. Walker, J. Wise, Brunet, Hollowell, Honka, Mynio, Nause,
    Commesso, Hamrla, Portillo, Svedeback, Makiniemi.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Goalie Strategy: Workhorse or 2 time shares?!

It's heavily dependent on league rules. Major factors are:

1. Number of teams, and also roster/starting spots.
    2. Cap amount.
    3. Dynasty or keeper - I'm sure there are single year cap leagues, but it's not something I'd think is common.
    4. League scoring.
    5. Other rules that are relevant, such as moving players up & down to a minors/farm roster, or cutting unwanted contracts.

Ideally you want a guy that performs well with a cheap cap hit, but for goalies, those are usually guys who take over jobs while still under contract, and once they get established, they get paid. Another option is to not necessarily look at a tandem from 2 different teams, but say, the tandem from a good team, so you avoid having 2 guys who both are the 1B. You can only keep 1 golaie, so the idea should be to get either a starter who isn't super expensive, or a cheap guy who can grow into starting.

The only cap league that I'm in, I would LOVE to have Vasilevkiy. Our cap limit is large, over 100M, plus he's the best goalie in fantasy right now. He & Hellebuyck are the 2 big money guys I'd take easily. Unlike skaters, who can underperform, goalies can actively hurt you. However, we also have a 12 team league with 75 player rosters (50+ players in the minors system) and waivers where guys who make too much have to clear to go down to the minors.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Steve thanks! So to answer your questions and give you more on the league...

1. 10 team league, start 12 forwards, 6 dmen, 1 goalie.
    2. $81.5 mill is the cap this season.
    3. It is a keeper league (keep 7 forwards, 3 dmen, 1 goalie, and one optional)
    4. For skaters its 1 point per point (goal or assist) and 1 point either way for each plus/minus. Those are the only skater counting stats and is a year long league not head to head. Goalie points are 2 for a win, 1 for an overtime loss, and a bonus 2 for a shutout.
    5. Other league factors: We only have 4 bench spots (no minors), every time you drop someone from your team in a season you retain 25% of their salary so you lose out on cap space as the season goes on, and there are maximum starts at each position for the year. 2021 with the 56 game season the start limits were Forwards: 672, D: 336, G:56. So those bench spots are valuable when injuries arise or a big slump hits a player but on the flip side having limited starts/bench spaces also points me to Vasilevskiy for the quality starts.

This year I ran Desmith, Vanecek, and Sorokin. I began the season with had Freddy Andersen and Vanecek (was trying to make a push this year so dropped Freddy when he became injured). So I've done both strategies and both have their pros and cons. I like having a no brainer goalie that I just set and forget in my line up but I am new to this league, this is season 2, and trying to figure out the best strategy to try to be competitive in the next year or two. I also have quite a few potential keepers on ELC that can give me the room to consider this move.

I would love more insight from you! Thanks again Steve, you're my only hope haha.

F:

D:

Dobber Sports Superstar

Well Steve may be your only hope but what the hell, I'll try and help too (:

As usual, Steve has provided good insight and asked some key questions to get the info we need. While league rules are important, the most determining factor IMO is where your cap limit sits. Honestly, at 81 Mil, I just don't see how you can justify spending over 10% of your total cap on a Goalie. I don't care who he is. Now, a skater, as Steve pointed out may make sense, some guy like McDavid might work. A goalie though, who only plays 60% give or take of his teams games is just not going to move the needle for you in your league standings. Then there is the "all goalies are flakes" factor. With few exceptions, very few exceptions, top tier goalies tend to be much more inconsistent than top tier skaters. From game to game, week to week and season by season they can and do hit a brick wall. Another reason not to put all your eggs in one basket. Meanwhile, while your big name starters are shitting the bed or injured, young goalies are stepping in and some will contribute to your teams success big time. Drieger and Ned being two good examples from the past season. Cobbling a team together with 12 F and 6 D for 71 Mil that will be a legit contender is not a road I'd want to go down. My advice would be to go with the time share strategy and keep your eye peeled for that back up or farm hand who comes in and light things up. I get the just send your big dog out night after night deal, that's easy, but winning championships is not easy, if you catch my drift (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Bubba! Much appreciated and since posting this have thought a lot about it and definitely agree. It is too risky and big of an investment for someone who does not play every game and a loss means nothing where a losing teams players can still post points in a loss. Thanks to both of you for the advice I really do appreciate it!

F:

D: