Thread: Keeper Help

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Keeper Help

Hi everyone,

I'm comfortably in second place in my league (the top team has McDavid, McKinnon, and Matthews and while I have much better depth, his team will get stronger as he shores up his squad) and now that the trade deadline has passed and I don't have any more pick-ups/drops my attention is going towards the keeper deadline.

Trades aside (it's a quiet league and trades are unfortunately rare due to owner inactivity), I'm mulling the last of my keepers:

I think it's ridiculous to keep 6 Dmen in a keep 16, but my D are studs so it's hard to drop them. I'm wavering between keeping Girard and Werenski over Teravainen (injury history now but is top line on a great team), or R Strome (he's been close to PPG the past two years and I love what NYR are doing). Dubois and Dahlin have been disappointments but I'm a believer in them long-term so I plan to keep them even though they're not currently producing at a keeper level for me.

Imagining that I can't trade anyone, who should I keep? Off the board suggestions for other guys I haven't mentioned (dropping a different guy or keeping a guy I hadn't considered) are also welcome, these are the players I think are the strongest candidates.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Keeper Help

Dubois, Point, Tavares, Kaprizov (r), A Svechnikov, Bjorkstrand, M Tkachuk, Buchnevich, R Strome, Tarasenko, Ekblad, Dahlin, Klingberg, Hamilton, Vasilevsky, Shestkerin (r)

These are my 16. I don't think you need to keep Rossi yet as he's redraftable due to having the whole year off. With your settings, Werenski isn't actually all that great. Girard is a tough cut, but I like Bjorkstrand, Strome, and Tank better.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Shoot I saw that I hadn't included my recent pickups. My rookies are fine (Kaprizov and Shesterkin are locks, the other two rookies slots are 'meh'). I'm more concerned about my 12 veteran keepers. I agree Werenski is droppable (which is a pain as I gave up a lot to get him last year).

As I can only keep 12 vets, it's between Strome and Girard for me as my last keeper.
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),

Dobber Sports Titan

Ahh, 12 + 4 rookies, I missed that.
    I would cut Tank and... Strome (? Maybe Buch) and keep Rossi and Tolvanen.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for your advice Eskimo! Hopefully I can trade in the off-season but worst case it's good to know who is the most droppable (or redraftable).
    Team 1:
    12 teams, No salary cap

Dobber Sports Initiate

I can understand why there is limited activity in this league. When the best team has 3 of the top 4 players (per Dobber Rankings) who are all young it makes it a challenge to compete. I understand the team made great moves to get the team he now has, but once someone is that dominant you see the engagement drop off. In 2 of my keepers leagues this has happened and we see 2 to 4 managers per year rotate through the league and eventually the league ended. Not sure how to address this issue as you want each manager to amass the best possible team, but you also want a league that is competitive.

Curious what others think on this issue?
    Scooter
    -------------------------------------------------
    C - Hughes (C/LW), Mackinnon (C), Ek (C),
    LW - Stutzle (LW), Raymond (LW/RW), Joshua (C/LW)
    RW - Rantanen (RW), Giouroux (C/RW). Bjorkstrand (RW), Mantha (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Makar, Seider, L Hughes, Matheson, Faber
    G - Saros, Levi, Luukkonen
    IR -
    -------------------------------------------------
    12 team league - 19 on Roster (+4 IR)
    8 keepers, 5 bench, Weekly H2H league,
    11 cat's G,A,PPP,+/-,SOG,PIM,GWG,Hits & W,SV%,GAA
    2 Start at C, LW,RW and G and 4 D.
    55 Moves Regular Season (re-set to 8 for Play-Offs)
    Daily Line-Up Changes[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah this is the first year either of us have been in the money. It's taken a lot of losing for us to get the players we now have. Older teams (with Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc.) have won for the four previous years and have fallen off and are now looking to rebuild. The league has been going for five years and the owners know each other, which helps. I agree that with such an imbalance it hurts competitiveness and can jeopardize the league, but I also hate it when teams bail once they start losing.
    Team 1:
    12 teams, No salary cap

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Love these kinds of posts! I'll do my best but I skew toward points more than peripherals because those are the leagues I know best. So if I undervalue someone with strong peripherals, simply ignore me

Forwards:
    The easy keeps: Point, Tavares, Svech, Teravainen, Tkachuck
    The Fringe: PLD, Strome, Buchnevich, Bjorkstrand, Rust, Tarasenko

Defense:
    The Easy Keeps: Ekblad, Dahlin, Klingberg, Hamilton
    The Fringe: Girard, Werenski

Goalies:
    Vasilevsky

Rookies:
    Kaprizov, Tolvanen, Rossi, Shesterkin

I think that you have 10 easy keeps and a bunch on the fringe. Tough calls for sure. Stacking Svech and Teravainen is not a bad play once Teuvo is healthy. A keep four for D could make sense but if forced to choose, I take Werenski as the 5th D consider Byram/Timmins are on Girard's heals. I think I lean toward Strome as the next F choice and if you don't keep a 5th D, I take PLD even though his play isn't currently deserving. That said, if Tarasenko can be healthy, he's pretty damn dominant at times.
    9 Team Points Only Dynasty - 27 Player Roster (17 Keepers) - 12 F, 6 D, 2 UTL, 2 G, 5 Bench - 2.5G, 2A, 1PP, 2SHG, 1SHA, 3W, 2SO, 1OTL, 0.05SV

F: J Robertson, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Aho, Kaprizov, Scheifele, Connor, DeBrincat, Cozens, Ehlers, Toffoli, Kopitar, Trocheck, Schmaltz, W Johnston, Teravainen, J Quinn
    D: Dahlin, Werenski, M Rielly, S Jones, McCavoy, Gustafsson
    G: Shesterkin, Bobrovsky