Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How good will Shane Pinto be?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default How good will Shane Pinto be?

Shane Pinto's debut:

4 for 6 in the dot, +1, 1 assist on EN goal off faceoff win, in 9:24 minutes of play.

Played 1:04 of PK.

Had 3 very impressive takeaways in the game, anticipating and stealing pucks, half of Ottawa's total of 6.

0 giveaways.

^^^ Taken from an HF Poster.

Long story short I watched some of the game and looked back on the highlights (can find his game on youtube)... kid has shades of Mark Stone in his game with the way he steals pucks. He pick pockets and is so smart at picking pockets, positioning, is shifty, and can even out deke two defensemen and get a shot attempt through. He is quick, smart, but still seems raw in some areas. Keep in mind this kid is a late bloomer. He's only played hockey for 5-6 years. Andrew Copp also started late into the game like him and is now finding himself as a top-six fixture with the Jets, producing not 1 4 point game, but two! He's also on a prorated 60 point clip over 82 games. So is Pinto a very good 3LC or is he going to become a good 200-foot top-six forward that can be a Yanic Perreault type? Strong on the face-off dot, and become a solid 50+ point producer?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: How good will Shane Pinto be?

He's only played hockey for 5-6 years? Where did you read that at?

For me, I see him as a solid 2way player. I'm not sure he has the offensive upside as Stone but he should be a good middle six center. I see shades of Phillip Danault.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

50 pt season's would be very good for him. Many scouting sources project him as middle six 2 way forward. His value in real life hockey will probably much better than his value as a fantasy asset

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He's only played hockey for 5-6 years? Where did you read that at?

For me, I see him as a solid 2way player. I'm not sure he has the offensive upside as Stone but he should be a good middle six center. I see shades of Phillip Danault.
    You can say you see shades in a player, that doesn't mean you see the player's production. Never said he's Mark Stone or have his upside. Their are aspects that can remind one of Stone, but clearly the offensive upside and ability to see the game the way Mark does and make those reads that many fail to is probably something he may never reach.

And I agree with the other person, he probably will be a better NHL player vs. a fantasy one. But if he can grow and develop his game (kid is a natural talent and athlete), don't be surprised if he evolves into one. If you saw his game, there was different aspects of a capable top-six player. If Copp can get there (solid top-six contributor), so can Pinto, and IMO he's been a step better than Copp was at this age. But like Copp, he has to wait several years.

But I did ask for your opinions, I just want to be convinced he's worth keeping. Verdict is questionable but I do love aspects of this kid's game. The hustle, the work ethic, the positioning, stick work, his defensive awareness is on point, being a beast already at face offs.. his first NHL point came from the draw.

Sorry, he may have played hockey, but it's another to play back pond hockey with a few friends or street hockey with the guys vs playing competitive hockey. Yes, he started playing competitively at age 15. Having a coach. Learning drills. Evolving his game through that vs. just playing pick up...

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/...f1buq21ev9firu

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    You can say you see shades in a player, that doesn't mean you see the player's production. Never said he's Mark Stone or have his upside. Their are aspects that can remind one of Stone, but clearly the offensive upside and ability to see the game the way Mark does and make those reads that many fail to is probably something he may never reach.

And I agree with the other person, he probably will be a better NHL player vs. a fantasy one. But if he can grow and develop his game (kid is a natural talent and athlete), don't be surprised if he evolves into one. If you saw his game, there was different aspects of a capable top-six player. If Copp can get there (solid top-six contributor), so can Pinto, and IMO he's been a step better than Copp was at this age. But like Copp, he has to wait several years.

But I did ask for your opinions, I just want to be convinced he's worth keeping. Verdict is questionable but I do love aspects of this kid's game. The hustle, the work ethic, the positioning, stick work, his defensive awareness is on point, being a beast already at face offs.. his first NHL point came from the draw.

Sorry, he may have played hockey, but it's another to play back pond hockey with a few friends or street hockey with the guys vs playing competitive hockey. Yes, he started playing competitively at age 15. Having a coach. Learning drills. Evolving his game through that vs. just playing pick up...

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/...f1buq21ev9firu
    Nothing is mentioned about him as a keeper in your OP, more what we thought of him, to which I answered and even gave a comparable.

If it's keeper status you're thinking of, more information is needed.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Nothing is mentioned about him as a keeper in your OP, more what we thought of him, to which I answered and even gave a comparable.

If it's keeper status you're thinking of, more information is needed.
    No, I didn't want to get the confusion that I see him having a Mark Stone career or being as good as Stone, but simply seeing similarities. No different than when guys like Mikhail Grigorenko has been compared to Evgeni Malkin and Peter Forsberg by NHL scouts. Or a guy like Dawson Mercer being compared to Jonathan Toews and Patrice Bergeron. But I said shades.. so it's not a precise comparison, but saying there are similar aspects to each of their games. I am also of the idea that it's too early to say what he is, but we can still discuss possible outcomes, what a player can become based on history and their trajectory combined with the eye test.

Again, I am just seeing if it's worth protecting a guy. I probably won't. Well, I will see how the next 10 games play out before I come to that decision.

The Great One

Like Axe said....if you are looking for help on whether or not to protect him we would need your roster and league info for obvious reasons. I’d look more at his pedigree and scouting reports here at Dobber, at TSN, and The Athletic as a better source than 12 or 14 games in the NHL. If that was your metric guys like Zegras and Laffreniere should not be protected because their NHL numbers have thus far been underwhelming.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

His USHL and NCAA numbers have been ok, but nothing exceptional. Good WJHC. On the other hand, somebody will have to play top 6 centre in Ottawa.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Like Axe said....if you are looking for help on whether or not to protect him we would need your roster and league info for obvious reasons. I’d look more at his pedigree and scouting reports here at Dobber, at TSN, and The Athletic as a better source than 12 or 14 games in the NHL. If that was your metric guys like Zegras and Laffreniere should not be protected because their NHL numbers have thus far been underwhelming.
    H2H 31 and soon to be 32 team league with 24 player roster, protect 16 if you make the playoffs, protect 17 if you don't.

Fwd Patrick Kane
    Fwd Leon Draisaitl - C
    Fwd Blake Wheeler
    Fwd Janne Koukkanen
    Fwd Dylan Cozens
    Fwd Evgeni Malkin - A
    Fwd Dylan Larkin
    Fwd Timo Meier
    Fwd Evander Kane
    Fwd Martin Necas
    Def Roman Josi
    Def Victor Hedman - A
    Def Nick Leddy
    Def Zach Whitecloud
    Def Nicolas Beaudin
    Def Jared Spurgeon
    Enf Philipp Kurashev
    Enf John Leonard
    Gol Linus Ullmark
    Gol Connor Hellebuyck
    Res Shane Pinto
    Res Martin Kaut
    Res Ekil Thomas
    Res Dawson Mercer

Shane Pinto has an outside chance of getting protected, but he looks like he'll become a very good NHLer. Not saying very good fantasy player, but he does a lot of things well, especially focusing on the details of the game. Andrew Copp is a good comparable based on their trajectories and similar paths. Comparable College numbers and both started their competitive hockey careers at age 13 and 15. Although I think Pinto does some things better.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Swels Stewart View Post
    His USHL and NCAA numbers have been ok, but nothing exceptional. Good WJHC. On the other hand, somebody will have to play top 6 centre in Ottawa.
    I think his College numbers are outstanding considering he did produce those numbers as a 19 year-old freshman and 20 year-old sophomore... not to mention the way he was deployed and the type of game he plays. 61-31-29-60 is very good numbers for a guy who was used in offensive and defensive zone starts and used in all situations. His game is modelled after a Patrice Bergeron. Not saying he'll be a Bergeron. Please don't make that confusion. He's a very good 200-foot player. His game isn't going to be explosive offensively like a Johnny Hockey. Also I think his numbers are also reflective of a late bloomer. The fact he produced those numbers with just a few years of competitive experience prior is pretty impressive. It's that elite athleticism and hockey IQ at work. Imagine if he started 10 years younger. He was also drafted just outside of the 1st round at 32nd overall. And Ottawa's scouts have a good track record of late, so they obviously saw something special in the kid. Again, Andrew Copp is a good comparable based on the late bloomer, all-around athlete type that is a coach's wet dream. Copp at age 26 is now playing like a top-six NHLer.

The Great One

Of your rookie types I think I protect Mercer and Kaut over Pinto.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Who of Mercer and Kaut do you like more?

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think Pinto can be a Cirelli type of player
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    Who of Mercer and Kaut do you like more?
    Probably Kaut because the Avs.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    I think Pinto can be a Cirelli type of player
    I can see that. There has been that comparison made.