Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Dobber NHL Playoff Draft - Discussion

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: 2021 Dobber NHL Playoff Draft - Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Ahh... great questions!! I should have copied the opening thread from two years ago.

As soon as a team is mathematically eliminated then those players can be replaced - in same order as original draft of the players selected from that team.

Example -

We are in the middle of round 8.

Jack Eichel was selected at pick 6.2
    Rasmus Dahlin selected at pick 7.4
    Sam Reinhart selected at pick 7.9

Buffalo gets mathematically eliminated.

The person that drafted Eichel gets to replace him with anyone still available, followed by the person who drafted Dahlin, then Reinhart, then resume draft.
    I'm not sure if that will work this year. Just say Montreal and Calgary are competing for the last playoff spot. Flames are playing until May 19. Tampa finishes on May 10, and could be four games into their series by then.

So if I choose Sean Monahan and the Flames miss on the last day, I could replace him with a surprise third liner who already has seven points.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I'm not sure if that will work this year. Just say Montreal and Calgary are competing for the last playoff spot. Flames are playing until May 19. Tampa finishes on May 10, and could be four games into their series by then.

So if I choose Sean Monahan and the Flames miss on the last day, I could replace him with a surprise third liner who already has seven points.
    Is there discussion that one division might start playoffs before another division?

If so we would just have to implement a rule that you can only pick players that have not started playoffs yet.

And likely the 3rd liner from Tampa will be picked.

Using you Montreal/Calgary example - If you pick Monahan, then there would be options for the 4th line players from the Leafs or the top guys from the Canadiens. So there will be options.

Again it is not ideal with all the different possibilities.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Guru

Is there discussion that one division might start playoffs before another division?

If so we would just have to implement a rule that you can only pick players that have not started playoffs yet.

And likely the 3rd liner from Tampa will be picked.

Using you Montreal/Calgary example - If you pick Monahan, then there would be options for the 4th line players from the Leafs or the top guys from the Canadiens. So there will be options.

Again it is not ideal with all the different possibilities.
    Yes, there has been talk of the American divisions starting earlier, but nothing has been finalized. From the an NHL press release last week: "With the newly revised end date for the regular season for the North Division, it is possible that the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the East, Central and West Divisions could open a few days earlier than the North Division."

I used Tampa as an example, but the same would apply for the Islanders, Penguins, Caps, Blues, Coyotes or whomever makes the playoffs. I like the rule that that you would have to take the player from a team that hasn't played yet.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Drafting

Another option that we could consider is drafting a backup option when you draft your player from a team that might not make playoffs.

Three of the for divisions have a large gap between 3rd place and 4th place. It is likely that this gap will remain.

So it is quite possible that there will be two teams from each division battling for the last spot.

Timing of Draft

When should we start? Is one week before the end of the Central, East and West divisions enough timing?

I think we want to try and get as close to the end of the season as possible, especially with the extended North Division season.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Great One

If you draft a back-up is that player then no longer available for other guys to take? I can’t see that working.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    If you draft a back-up is that player then no longer available for other guys to take? I can’t see that working.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I think the backup players anyone is thinking about have to be kept secret until the backup pick is to be made, whether thats as soon as the team is eliminated or tacked on at the end of the entire draft. Because you shouldnt be able to reserve a player/it also sort of blows the cover if someone else was hoping to get them as a darkhorse.

I also wonder if we should keep in place the COVID replacement draft rules that we had for our 2020 Bubble Playoffs league

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Guru

I think there is a way for it to work. You draft the backup player from a different team in the same division that is also fighting for the last playoff spot. I'll use the north as an example. Say Montreal and Calgary are still battling for the last spot. You draft Nick Suzuki. At the same time, you can draft Sean Monahan of the Flames as your backup. Or Gaudreau. Or whomever. But your backup in your Montreal pick can only be from the Flames. You can't draft Suzuki, and then draft Joe Thornton as your backup.

The Great One

What if I was next to pick and was planning on picking Sean Monahan?
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Guru

Then you don't get him. He's technically taken at that point.

The Great One

Nah - so if I select from a team that’s not for sure in I get to pick two players? I don’t like that.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Monster

Here are two ways I was thinking for the replacement selections (mathematically eliminated/covid/injury)

1. Once the draft concludes, all players lost to not making the playoffs, covid or injury can be replaced in the order of the lost picks AS LONG AS the replacement player selected has not started their playoff series. The drawback is this does punish people taking a risk on a borderline team as they will have to pick through scraps to fill out their roster with the end of draft replacement picks if the teams miss the playoffs.

2. The mid draft replacement - this one is trickier. If we want players to be replaced AS SOON AS a team is mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs, then we need to slam the breaks on the draft as soon as (/if?) this happens and then slide in all of those replacement picks immediately and having those teams affected make the picks before resuming the regular order. But this requires timely pausing of the draft and throwing off the order is not ideal. But it can be done if people like it this way. Then, at the end of the draft, people make their COVID/injury replacement picks in the order they were originally made, if there are any.

Regarding draft timing, I agree that it should not be too early. I would rather us be up against it on the eve of the playoffs when people are making their 4th line grinder/darkhorse selections than have started too early and not have a solid idea of who 90% of the playoff teams are, and to some extent the possible first round matchups.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

The Wolverine

Keep it simple is my vote.

I don't want to draft a second player in case my first player doesn't make the playoffs. Don't like that idea at all as it's not fair to those who might want that player.

It's a strange year so it's not going to be perfect with timings, schedules etc. so I just say make one pick and risk if you choose a player from a team that's not in the playoffs yet. If you have to replace this player, then you get scraps at the end based on whatever is agreed e.g. first player draft to be replaced etc.

If it forces people to take chances in the hopes they don't get scraps, then that's their choice. If they leave the bubble teams because they don't want to take that risk, then some of them may be available later in the draft if they make the playoffs or when scraps are taken. That's also a strategy.

Realistically, we know the four teams coming out of the North, so I don't see too much issue with the delays in starting their first rounds. I suggest whatever amount of time we would normally need to finish before the start of the playoffs is when we should start.

Also, from a personal point of view, given my location, there may be times where I pick just before I log off for the night, or have to wait until morning. If we wait until as close to the playoffs as possible, which is ideal of course, or we have to make last minute changes, there is a risk where I might have to send more lists. I want to make my picks most of the time so would rather not too much of list sending, which takes me more time to prepare.

Just something to keep in mind, but if it might cause an issue with timings, delays due to my situation, maybe consider a backup to replace me if needed.

What my thought process was:

Take the West Division

Vegas - 68 (clinched)
    Colorado - 68 (clinched
    Wild - 61 (likely clinched when we start drafting)

So that leaves

Coyotes - 45
    Blues - 44

These two teams could be battling out until the bitter end or maybe we are lunch and one goes on a stretch and clinches before we start drafting.

But it will likely be clear that not both of these teams are making the playoffs in West Divsion.

So maybe to clarify - If we are using a backup player pick it would only for teams that are in the same division where only one of them can make the playoffs.

Example - I draft Clayton Keller - because I think Arizona is making playoffs - my backup pick would be David Perron because if Arizona misses the playoffs - St. Louis will make it.

This would not be a case where you could draft Clayton Keller and then name Yanni Gourde of the already clinched Tampa Bay Lightning. Cause yes, that would be taking away players from other people to draft.

But only one of Keller and Perron are going to be in the playoffs ~ so then you could pick your replacement at the current value of where you are making your pick. Instead of waiting 4 days and 20 picks later and then find out Arizona loses 3 straight games and Blues win themselves into playoffs. Then other people drafting this see St. Louis making a move and pick the top guys and you are left with a middle 6 forward instead of the top Blues guy.

​​

You would be crazy! and not a very faithful Montreal Canadiens fan

Montreal has an 8 point lead on Calgary and a game in hand!

​​

The Great One

You would be crazy! and not a very faithful Montreal Canadiens fan

Montreal has an 8 point lead on Calgary and a game in hand!
    You are correct - I was not really thinking of taking Monahan.

I like Brandon’s post and agree that’s the way to go.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR: