Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Expectations for Sam Bennett in Florida

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Expectations for Sam Bennett in Florida

I hold no grudges. Picked him up last week in my one year league and just enjoying the ride.

Dobber Sports Deity

Is there anything worse than seeing a guy take off after he gets traded away. If I am a Flames fan right now, Im pissed.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Is there anything worse than seeing a guy take off after he gets traded away. If I am a Flames fan right now, Im pissed.
    I think Flames fans have a lot more to be pissed about rather than just Bennett performing on another team. How about the fact that the Flames originally drafted Adam Fox... and they let that gem slip away.
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Supremo View Post
    I think Flames fans have a lot more to be pissed about rather than just Bennett performing on another team. How about the fact that the Flames originally drafted Adam Fox... and they let that gem slip away.
    Did they really let him get away, or did he just not want to sign with them and forced their hand into dealing him?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Did they really let him get away, or did he just not want to sign with them and forced their hand into dealing him?
    From his Wikipedia Page:

Fox was selected by the Calgary Flames, 66th overall, in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, but opted to go to college. He played collegiate ice hockey for Harvard University, leading all NCAA defensemen in the nation in assists and points in his freshman season, and leading all defenseman in the country in points per game and assists in his junior season.

On June 23, 2018, the Calgary Flames traded Fox's NHL playing rights (along with Dougie Hamilton and Micheal Ferland) to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin.

On April 30, 2019, Carolina traded Fox's NHL rights to the New York Rangers in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft and what would become a second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.

Doesn't make much reference to if he refused to sign; but really, imagine what would have been if Carolina kept Fox in conjunction with Dougie...

Blue = Bench / Red = IR

Administrator

Citing Wikipedia in 2021 is not a good idea

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

From his Wikipedia Page:

Fox was selected by the Calgary Flames, 66th overall, in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, but opted to go to college. He played collegiate ice hockey for Harvard University, leading all NCAA defensemen in the nation in assists and points in his freshman season, and leading all defenseman in the country in points per game and assists in his junior season.

On June 23, 2018, the Calgary Flames traded Fox's NHL playing rights (along with Dougie Hamilton and Micheal Ferland) to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin.

On April 30, 2019, Carolina traded Fox's NHL rights to the New York Rangers in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft and what would become a second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.

Doesn't make much reference to if he refused to sign; but really, imagine what would have been if Carolina kept Fox in conjunction with Dougie...
    https://bluelinestation.com/2020/03/...the-best-ever/

After he was drafted by the Calgary Flames in the third round of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, it was believed that he would eventually sign with them. After a couple years, the Flames saw enough warning signs to believe that he would not sign and they traded him to Carolina as part of the deal that saw the Canes get Dougie Hamilton and Micheal Ferland in exchange for Noah Hanafin and Elias Lindholm. Carolina also thought they would be able to sign him, but when it became apparent that he would be returning to Harvard they traded him to the Rangers.

I didn't say I was an expert researcher; so can't fault me for doing the quickest and dirtiest search... regardless... if the Flames really wanted him, they could have convinced him to stay by showing the proper amount of dollar signs.

Blue = Bench / Red = IR

Dobber Sports Deity

I didn't say I was an expert researcher; so can't fault me for doing the quickest and dirtiest search... regardless... if the Flames really wanted him, they could have convinced him to stay by showing the proper amount of dollar signs.
    I am not accusing you; I just googled it and that was the first link I found with any info. And as far as the contract goes, there's really only one contract for rookies and the bonuses determine the final dollar amount so I dont think that plays into it much.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

They could only give him an ELC. Believe it or not there are actually contract rules in the NHL. Adam Fox got in to Harvard on merit, not scholarship (Harvard doesn't admit players based on athletic ability) and was more than willing to stay in school and get a Harvard degree. It is widely reported that he was only going to sign with the Rangers and was willing to stay in school long enough to do so.

Now, did Calgary maximize his value in trade? Obviously not. However Calgary simply was not going to be able to sign him.

As for frustration seeing Bennett perform? Not really. As of now, he's racking up some points but going back and watching, it's not like he's playing a lot better. His goals have all been rebounds or deflections, and none of his assists have been high skill plays. Mostly just getting the puck to his very talented linemates and benefitting from it. Maybe the trade has turned his career around again, at this point you absolutely can't rule it out, but as of now he's still not making the skill plays you'd hope for that would indicate long term point producing success.

Although I have two Bennett jerseys and would like nothing more for him to turn into the 90 point player I thought he was going to be when he was drafted.

Dobber Sports Pro

This is simply incorrect, but dig in deeper and stick with your position. Fox didn’t want to sign with Carolina either and they moved him to the Rangers, where Fox wanted to go, for a 2nd and 3rd. Did Carolina manage this asset poorly?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    This is simply incorrect, but dig in deeper and stick with your position. Fox didn’t want to sign with Carolina either and they moved him to the Rangers, where Fox wanted to go, for a 2nd and 3rd. Did Carolina manage this asset poorly?
    It actually ended up being 2 2nd round picks, but probably? They traded a Norris caliber defenceman for 2 2nds, ideally you'd probably like to get a lot more than that.

Dobber Sports Star

Don't forget that Sam Bennett is also taking draws while being C/LW/RW eligible. He is definitely a sleeper pick for multi-cat leagues w/ FWs next season. If all he needs to do is the dirty work on Huberdeau's line and PP1. 55 points with FWs/SOGs/Hits would be a multi-cat stud

As for Adam Fox, when a team has next to no leverage then it is what it is. 2 2nd rounders is better than Fox walking. Similar to Taylor Hall choosing to go to Boston. The team that has the leverage just needs to wait and they'll get what they want so better to get something decent vs nothing.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It actually ended up being 2 2nd round picks, but probably? They traded a Norris caliber defenceman for 2 2nds, ideally you'd probably like to get a lot more than that.
    But really, what more could they have done? It’s similar to the Vesey situation, except that Fox is a real player.