Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo not extending the fantasy hockey season?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Yahoo not extending the fantasy hockey season?

Yeah... at this point... most savvy GMs have been running their team as if the league ends on May 8.
    It really only benefits the out-of-touch GMs that are discovering they are running out of time.
    Changing the rules/laws on somebody playing by them isn't really fair.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    This is correct but you are thinking it in the wrong way. The NHL and fantasy hockey season started with every NHL team expected to play 56 games so that's the way roto leagues should be run. Just because the NHL changed the schedule and then Yahoo decided not to change theirs originally does not mean that the start of the season rules should be changed.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    This is correct but you are thinking it in the wrong way. The NHL and fantasy hockey season started with every NHL team expected to play 56 games so that's the way roto leagues should be run. Just because the NHL changed the schedule and then Yahoo decided not to change theirs originally does not mean that the start of the season rules should be changed.
    Sorry man - I think about these things in exactly all the right ways.
    Not wrong.

The commissioner of any league should be indicating (early) what the league will do.
    In the WHL - where I'm commissioner - the entire league was given advance notice that if Fantrax allows for an extended season, our league will also run to the last game - exactly so that teams can have the fairness that IS 56gp from all of their players. (You can ask around the other 23 GMs, who are all Dobber forum members... and they will verify this consideration AND indication that I have made clearly for them.)

So... I get you there.

But int two Yahoo! leagues, I've been dropping very solid skaters just to stream starts so that I hit my MaxGP limits by May8.
    MaxGP is a real & important thing in ROTO... and it affects strategy & player adds/drops.

Now that I've thrown a bunch of solid players to the waivers (for 1.5 weeks)... should I have lost those players for 2.5-3.5 weeks?
    No. That wouldn't be fair.

Yahoo! leagues have had a RULE-SET that the end of season was May8.
    Unless a commissioner has clearly indicated a conditional change (as I have), then changing the league end-date... at this point... is wrong. Wrong thinking. Wrong way of thinking.

Dobber Sports Icon

I get that but at the same time how would that be fair to teams that drafted players from the Vancouver Canucks before the season started but now they are going to miss 12.5% of their season. It should have been safe to assume that Yahoo (and all other fantasy providers) would count stats from the whole NHL season for their NHL regular fantasy pools. Yahoo messed up by announcing that they were not going to do that and then correctly correcting themselves when they realized how stupid they were being.

Let's put it this way...Imagine an old school hockey draft where you just go around the table taking turns picking a player until your teams are filled. Once the draft is done, you are stuck with your team for the season (ie no trades, no daily lineup changes, no waiver wire, etc). Then at the 70% point of the season, the commissioner says, we are only going to count points until 95% of the NHL regular season is done. That's what Yahoo did before they realized how ridiculous that was.

With that said, the key to a good league getting through this would have been communication just like you did in the WHL.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I get that but at the same time how would that be fair to teams that drafted players from the Vancouver Canucks before the season started but now they are going to miss 12.5% of their season. It should have been safe to assume that Yahoo (and all other fantasy providers) would count stats from the whole NHL season for their NHL regular fantasy pools. Yahoo messed up by announcing that they were not going to do that and then correctly correcting themselves when they realized how stupid they were being.

Let's put it this way...Imagine an old school hockey draft where you just go around the table taking turns picking a player until your teams are filled. Once the draft is done, you are stuck with your team for the season (ie no trades, no daily lineup changes, no waiver wire, etc). Then at the 70% point of the season, the commissioner says, we are only going to count points until 95% of the NHL regular season is done. That's what Yahoo did before they realized how ridiculous that was.

With that said, the key to a good league getting through this would have been communication just like you did in the WHL.
    to be fair on Feb 17 we had a post here (Games Postponed past May 8th - Will stats count? (dobbersports.com)) where the general consensus was that the season would not be extended. That was well under halfway through the season. Yahoo didnt come out of the blue and say they werent extending. We all expected a month before that.
    2023 Champ
    11 Teams - 24 player rosters - 12 Keepers (max 2 goalies)
    Yahoo rotisserie - 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN ,2IR
    G, A, PPP, SHP, HITS, +-, PIM, BK, GS, W,GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Lindholm, Stephenson, Norris
    LW: Robertson,
    Fiala, Bertuzzi, Boldy,
    RW: Miller, Tarasenko, Seguin, Ehlers
    D: Hamilton, Karlsson,
    Bouchard, Nurse, Dobson, Larsson
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin
    B: Husso, Tippett, McCabe, TT.

Dobber Sports Star

in my book, in the likely event roster decisions were made to get games in the switch in rules when the season is 90% done is pretty bs. it would be different if a league agreed beforehand or if yahoo implemented the change sooner. the difference is yahoo declared 2 weeks ago, already less than a month before the season was to end, that they wont be making any changes and the leagues were to end may 8.

an overwhelmingly large number of teams play on the same days on the final week so it is rational to drop a better player for someone with a better schedule.

i am hoping i have a big enough lead in that league to win anyway.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah... at this point... most savvy GMs have been running their team as if the league ends on May 8.
    It really only benefits the out-of-touch GMs that are discovering they are running out of time.
    Hey, hey, hey, I'm right here...
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

is yahoo simply adding the games past may 8th without a choice in the matter or does the league admin have to adjust settings ?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    is yahoo simply adding the games past may 8th without a choice in the matter or does the league admin have to adjust settings ?
    This only shows up in my roto league.

The NHL has adjusted their schedule to play make-up games after the original May 8th season end date. We have added the option to extend the scoring for rotisserie and points leagues through May 19th. If desired, you can adjust the 'Stop League Scoring On' league setting and choose the new option for Week 17.

The Great One

Some good thoughts here in this thread more specifically about the Dobber tiered leagues...

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...xtended-season
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

Unfortunately it's a divided issue with no clear answer and very valid arguments on both sides. Tough decisions ahead for a lot of leagues.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Has Yahoo also been miscalculating the Projected Games Played remaining as well?

I got to my end of season planning and counted out the games I want to use to get me to the end of the season....

Well the Yahoo projected is off by at least 10 games at each position.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Has Yahoo also been miscalculating the Projected Games Played remaining as well?

I got to my end of season planning and counted out the games I want to use to get me to the end of the season....

Well the Yahoo projected is off by at least 10 games at each position.
    Oh god tell me it's not true.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

My position is that with Yahoo leagues in roto leagues, I think you have to extended for the whole season. Either side of the argument, you can state that someone essentially loses. Just play the whole season. Unless the league specifically agreed that May 8th will be the last day, even in the event that yahoo extends it. If that part is not agreed, then you have to extended and play out the schedule as agreed at the beginning of the season, through the draft etc.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Oh god tell me it's not true.
    I never trust that pos calculator.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch