Thread: Saying goodbye to Tarasenko?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Saying goodbye to Tarasenko?

What's up guys! I'm in a points-only 11 team keeper league where we keep 11 players (maximum 1 goalie), and our trade deadline is approaching.

The guy who's second in my league right now is going for it and has made available his first round pick, and I'm wondering if I should offer him Vladimir Tarasenko. As you can see in my team in sig, I'm currently rebuilding around guys like Lafreničre, Stützle, Kaprizov, Necas and Chabot, and I don't think I will keep Tarasenko on my protected roster. I highlighted my keepers in bold just so you know who I'm planning on protecting.

I guess my question is : is there someone I plan on protecting that I shouldn't keep over Tarasenko in your opinion? If I'm about to lose Tank for nothing at the end of the season, maybe I should trade him for a pick... That's my thinking!

I know keeping Ty Smith & Jakob Chychrun may look weird to you, but it fits my rebuilding plan, and the fact that we start 6 D makes the defensemen so much more valuable. Plus, the rest of my defence is dogsh*t. And I also think that Chychrun is a stud in the making (if he continues to avoid injuries) and so is Smith.

What would you do if you were me? Details of my league in sig.
    10-team dynasty league. Points only.
    We start 9 F + 6 D + 2 G. Bench of 10 players and 21 minors spots. 3 IR spots.
    Minor eligibility : Less than 150 NHL games.
    Goalies : 2 pts for a W, 4 pts for a SO + 1 pt for an OTL.

Roster
    F : Connor, Kopitar, Lindholm, O’Reilly, Scheifele, D. Strome, Thomas, Zibanejad, Zuccarello, Bratt, Duchene, Eberle, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares
    D : Carlson, Ekholm, Fox, Josi, Theodore, York, Fowler
    G : Lyon, Talbot, Bobrovsky, Gustavsson, Vasilevskiy
    IR : Hertl
    Minors : Berggren, Chinakhov, Drury, Kasper, Nazar, Othmann, Petrovsky, Poitras, Yurov, Edvinsson, Korchinski, Nikishin, Zamula, Hrabal, Portillo, Primeau, Prosvetov

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Saying goodbye to Tarasenko?

I'd probably make that move. I'd even see if he/she could give another pick!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

If you are rebuilding, in a limited keeper, I'd make that move if you can as well.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

You are bang-on with this. I think you should do it. I also think Chychrun might be a decent gamble at this point over Tarasenko, who does not look the same at all right now.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If the plan is to keep younger up and comers and have a focus not so much on next year, but years to come, moving on from Tarasenko fits the bill for sure. If you can get a first for him, by all means, make the trade.

Looking at your other keepers, being that your focus isn't next season, but 2-4 seasons from now, I would potentially look at making Larkin a keeper, and maybe moving on from Gaudreau and/or Seguin (if not both). Also trying to get a J.Hughes, Dahlin, Hronek, Vrana (now he is in Det), Hischier, or Kakko could go a long way in making your core SUPER strong in 2-3 years. DET, OTT, VAN, NYR and NJD have the potential to be cup contenders in 2-4 seasons due to their prospects and youth (my opinion at least), and you are already holding some from those teams already, so it fits the bill.
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Supremo View Post
    If the plan is to keep younger up and comers and have a focus not so much on next year, but years to come, moving on from Tarasenko fits the bill for sure. If you can get a first for him, by all means, make the trade.

Looking at your other keepers, being that your focus isn't next season, but 2-4 seasons from now, I would potentially look at making Larkin a keeper, and maybe moving on from Gaudreau and/or Seguin (if not both). Also trying to get a J.Hughes, Dahlin, Hronek, Vrana (now he is in Det), Hischier, or Kakko could go a long way in making your core SUPER strong in 2-3 years. DET, OTT, VAN, NYR and NJD have the potential to be cup contenders in 2-4 seasons due to their prospects and youth (my opinion at least), and you are already holding some from those teams already, so it fits the bill.
    True. I tried to trade for Dahlin, but the guy who owns him didn't accept. As for the others you mentioned, their owners all want to keep them. As for Seguin, he's injured and his value is really low in my league right now. My plan is to hold him and hope for a bounce back season next year, when I'll be able to trade him for a higher value. Same goes for Gaudreau.

I love Larkin, I'm just not sure he can surpass his 73-point season in the near future. I know the supporting cast around him is really bad since a couple years and that DET is in a rebuild, but I feel like Ottawa and New Jersey are more advanced in their rebuild process. For sure, I'll try to draft Larkin next year.

Roster
    F : Connor, Kopitar, Lindholm, O’Reilly, Scheifele, D. Strome, Thomas, Zibanejad, Zuccarello, Bratt, Duchene, Eberle, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares
    Minors : Berggren, Chinakhov, Drury, Kasper, Nazar, Othmann, Petrovsky, Poitras, Yurov, Edvinsson, Korchinski, Nikishin, Zamula, Hrabal, Portillo, Primeau, Prosvetov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd also move Tarasenko for a first in your position.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I just made the trade. Appreciate the help guys, thanks a lot!

Roster