Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheeler for Kessel

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Wheeler for Kessel

Would you do Wheeler for Kessel straight up?

Kessel would help to win this year with wheeler injury.

Thx
    15 Team, keep 15. Point only G=1, A=1 W=2 SO=2
    Dress 12F, 6 D 1 Goaler. Weekly

Roster:
    F:Kuznetsov, Wheeler, Mackinnon, Scheifele, Eichel, Teuvo Teravainen, Sidney Crosby, Kasperi Kapanen, Alex Killorn, Patrick Kane, Athanasiou, Bobby Ryan, Nugent-Hopkins, Tyler Ennis,
    D: Morgan Reilly, Darnell Nurse, Tyler Myers, Trouba, Yandle, Fowler, Walker
    G: C Hellybuck

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Wheeler for Kessel

Not sure I would. Wheeler while again is still a steady producer and points only is his best format. Wheeler has a concussion, which is scary but I'm hoping he is back in a few games.

I think I would stand pat.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sophomore

But Kessel is about on par with Wheeler production this year. Just afraid of the last year wher he really crapped out.

Roster:
    F:Kuznetsov, Wheeler, Mackinnon, Scheifele, Eichel, Teuvo Teravainen, Sidney Crosby, Kasperi Kapanen, Alex Killorn, Patrick Kane, Athanasiou, Bobby Ryan, Nugent-Hopkins, Tyler Ennis,

Dobber Sports Wizard

in points only for this year only i would probably do it...

multi cat leagues or next 2-3 years im not doing it...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Sophomore

its point only but its a keeper so it goes in the following years. It could be what makes me win this year however if Wheeler doesnt come back soon enough.

Roster:

Dobber Sports Ace

I prefer Wheeler but he is getting up there and kessel helps you win so yes I’d do it

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would personally keep Blake Wheeler. It's the smarter and safer bet. Been the better player of the two the past several seasons and they are similar in age. Beyond this hiccup, Wheeler has been very durable. And he is skating back with the team so he may come back before the season finishes out. And while you may like the deal today if you do it, you may instantly regret it tomorrow. Wheeler isn't aging fast and plays with much better players that are getting it done.

FYI Last season, of Wheeler's 65 points in 71 games, 53 of those points came in his last 50 games playing on Mark Scheifele's wing. He started out the season on the 2nd line playing center (Paul Maurice was experimenting), but due to Wheeler not playing C for years and not being comfortable there, the lack of quality linemates vs. his chemistry with Scheifs, and not playing with any offensive dmen to get the puck up to the forwards like a Morrissey/Pionk first pairing he struggled out of the gate with 12 points in 22 games. 53 over 50 games is close to his 91 point seasons over 82 games.... this year he has shown some decline, but he was still prorated to score 67 points over 82 games. btw He's expected back in the lineup as of Thursday. I wouldn't do this deal because you gain a couple to few extra games. The ages are too close, the talent surrounding said player is heavily in favour of Wheeler, and Blake has been consistently better of the two, even this season.

Stay the course and keep Blake Wheeler.

Dobber Sports Star

I like Wheeler for this exercise, but I would be looking to send away Wheeler for a reasonable price if I could. He's getting to a point where his performance at 5x5 signals that the decline is going to be pretty sharp, pretty soon.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If moving Wheeler helps you win this year, I'd probably do it. But I feel like you can get a better return than Kessel. Kessel has had a reasonable year, but his shooting percentage is way too high, and I could see his performance dive down the stretch. So I'd look at other options if you can.
    12 Teams, 23 Players (max 3 goalies), H2H, Keep 15 (max 2 goalies)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 2F, 1U, 4D, 2G, 8 Bench, 2 IR+
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK, W, SV, SV%, SHO

Keepers:
    C - Matthews, Eichel, Hughes (LW), Pettersson
    LW - Kaprizov, Svechnikov (RW), Guentzel, Fiala, Keller (RW)
    RW - Marner, Meier (LW), Laine(C/LW), Jarvis (C)
    D - Dahlin​, Sergachev, Theodore, Klingberg, Werenski, Peeke, Cernak
    G - Shesterkin, Sorokin, Merzlikins
    IR - Pacioretty, Ristolainen

2023 Draft Picks: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

**2021/22 League Champion**

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Kessel's possible regression versus Wheeler's concussion is a bit too risky for me. I'd prefer somebody more stable than Kessel. He could fall off hard. Any other options out there?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I disagree, you make out as though Blake Wheeler is Eric Lindros. Guy is durable and this is what? His first concussion. If we're afraid of concussions then perhaps stay away from any player that gets one (which would really handicap your options), because it happens often... perhaps too often to too many guys. Wheeler is the safer bet and lookie here he comes back on Thursday.

Again, I trust the player more and the team and the players that surrounds said player more. That's a lot of the word "player" in one sentence.

Blake Wheeler's last 89 games = 85 points. I go by 89 games when Wheeler went back to his natural position on RW last season, putting up 53 points in his final 50 games. 32 points this season in 39 = 85 points in 89 games. Now do Phil Kessel's last 89 games... oh, that's 57 points. Even if we go by their prorates this season over 82 games, Wheeler gets 67 to Kessel's 60. That's why I go with Wheeler. The safer and better pick of the two.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wheeler for sure but maybe you have to make this to win this year which I think makes sense.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Genius

Your problem isn’t Wheeler. Your problem is Eichel, Mackinnon, Teravainen, Kapanen, Bobby Ryan, Nugent-Hopkins, Tyler Myers, AND Wheeler all missing time due to injury or covid.

Wheeler is not the problem and Kessel is not the solution.

I would not make the proposed trade. Wheeler is a much better asset than Kessel. You can’t manage your way out of the injury ward at this point. You are in too deep. You need to weather this storm and hope you direct competition face similar challenges in the games played department.

Edit: (now with more Trouba)
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Your problem isn’t Wheeler. Your problem is Eichel, Mackinnon, Teravainen, Kapanen, Bobby Ryan, Nugent-Hopkins, Tyler Myers, AND Wheeler all missing time due to injury or covid.

Wheeler is not the problem and Kessel is not the solution.

I would not make the proposed trade. Wheeler is a much better asset than Kessel. You can’t manage your way out of the injury ward at this point. You are in too deep. You need to weather this storm and hope you direct competition face similar challenges in the games played department.

Edit: (now with more Trouba)
    Listen to Moses, he parted the Red Sea!
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Schaefer View Post
    its point only but its a keeper so it goes in the following years. It could be what makes me win this year however if Wheeler doesnt come back soon enough.
    This answers it for me. I say no. There's appeal in a win now scenario but that deal hurts you for a couple years afterwards.
    9 Team Points Only Dynasty - 27 Player Roster (17 Keepers) - 12 F, 6 D, 2 UTL, 2 G, 5 Bench - 2.5G, 2A, 1PP, 2SHG, 1SHA, 3W, 2SO, 1OTL, 0.05SV

F: J Robertson, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Aho, Kaprizov, Scheifele, Connor, DeBrincat, Cozens, Ehlers, Toffoli, Kopitar, Trocheck, Schmaltz, W Johnston, Teravainen, J Quinn
    D: Dahlin, Werenski, M Rielly, S Jones, McCavoy, Gustafsson
    G: Shesterkin, Bobrovsky