Thread: Who to drop when Malkin comes off IR?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Who to drop when Malkin comes off IR?

Hey All,

Reports state that Malkin is skating again, and could be coming off IR in the near future.

Question becomes, who on my roster gets cut? I am skimming through, and it is really tough to pick one...

J.Robertson
    Necas
    Marchessault
    Rust
    Verhaeghe

Doesn't seem right to be letting one of them go to make a spot for Malkin. Is it Malkin that gets cut?

Help!!
    Cheers!!
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Who to drop when Malkin comes off IR?

Since you're going all in this season and none of the players you mention are keepers, I would cut Malkin there. I consider these players as if in a one year league at that point and Malkin has been the least productive of the bunch this season.
    12 teams H2H Keeper
    Keep 7 (1 each position, +2 any position but goalie)
    G A P PPP SOG FW HITS BLK PIM W GAA SV% SHO
    Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 4D 2U 2G 5B
    C: Mackinnon Matthews Thomas Bennett Pinto
    LW: Kaprizov Buchnevich (C) Fiala Drouin (C)
    RW: JT Miller (C) Barzal (C) Jarvis (C) Geekie (C)
    D: Fox Hamilton (IR) Nurse Faber Harley Manson Chabot
    G: Hellebuyck Rittich Ingram Lyon Andersen (IR)

The Great One

I'd keep an eye on Verhaege in case Gusev's arrival hurts his value (https://dobberhockey.com/2021/04/11/...rs-sign-gusev/). Verhaege and Robertson are the ones with the least established prior track record at the NHL level. The Pens C depth got a little better with the arrival of Carter. That probably helps Rust and maybe Malkin.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

you have to be able to move Verhaghe and Roberson for a really good fwd (2fer1 kinda thing)
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I'd keep an eye on Verhaege in case Gusev's arrival hurts his value (https://dobberhockey.com/2021/04/11/...rs-sign-gusev/). Verhaege and Robertson are the ones with the least established prior track record at the NHL level. The Pens C depth got a little better with the arrival of Carter. That probably helps Rust and maybe Malkin.
    That is a thought I've had as well... could very well see Carter move to the wing and be on a line with Malkin. That could only be a good thing for Malkin. He was heating up before he got hurt, so though his numbers are there, doesn't mean they won't be. That is what makes it tough.

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    you have to be able to move Verhaeghe and Roberson for a really good fwd (2fer1 kinda thing)
    Trade deadline has come and gone, so no opportunity to move 2 for 1. At this point, it is straight adds and drops.

Robertson and Marchessault are the 2 that I have short listed... but what are the odds Robertson goes cold vs. the odds of Marchessault being streaky vs. Malkin not getting up to speed quickly?
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Agree with the above, Malkin may actually be the drop here... but it is possible that Verhaege gets bumped with Gusev especially if they play him with Barkov to start him up (Barkov is Finnish, but raised in a Russian hockey family so they speak the same language and would have some cultural bonds). Robertson has been playing great, but like any young player is likely to be streaky. If you can afford to just sit Malkin in the IR spot for little bit until this all plays out, it may be to your advantage. I mean, he's skating but not in the lineup yet and it would be nice to see what impact Carter has on the lineup - if any.

I think you have to keep Marchessault given his SOG/Hits plus scoring... he shouldn't be on your cut list right now with your scoring categories -- although he's definitely not the player he was a couple years ago.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Supremo View Post
    Trade deadline has come and gone, so no opportunity to move 2 for 1. At this point, it is straight adds and drops.

Robertson and Marchessault are the 2 that I have short listed... but what are the odds Robertson goes cold vs. the odds of Marchessault being streaky vs. Malkin not getting up to speed quickly?
    i see..

im on board with dropping Robertson
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by zaz2712 View Post
    Since you're going all in this season and none of the players you mention are keepers, I would cut Malkin there. I consider these players as if in a one year league at that point and Malkin has been the least productive of the bunch this season.
    Evgeni Malkin had 12 points in his last 8 games and looked like "Geno is fire" in those contests. Would have been more potentially if not hurt that last game. btw Geno played at a 110 point prorate over 82 games in 19/20 and had the most points of any NHL skater 5-on-5 for 60 minutes last season. Yes, that includes Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid.

You have to look at it as Malkin will be 35 and Crosby will be 34 this year. It takes a while to get their legs under them because of slower adaptability that age with a shortened camp and no preseason. Don't kid yourself, Malkin was just getting going before he was injured. If he was healthy, he would be over a point-per-game by now, but alas, that's the thing.... 71 has been a band-aid boy all through out his career. That's one thing that has remained a constant. So there is the inherent risk. But don't for once think he is one and done. Now I know that's not what was said, but that seems to be the verdict based on his age and on-the-surface stats, which is why context is key. I think if he can return soon, he can churn out a point-per-game over those games. That being said, while he has been skating, his return is still up-in-the-air. So it could be anything from within 7-10 days to the beginning of the playoffs, which usually doesn't benefit anyone if their fantasy season ends when the regular season finishes.

But since this is a keeper league, there is only one I would take Malkin over. And Marty Necas is his name-oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    Evgeni Malkin had 12 points in his last 8 games and looked like "Geno is fire" in those contests. Would have been more potentially if not hurt that last game. btw Geno played at a 110 point prorate over 82 games in 19/20 and had the most points of any NHL skater 5-on-5 for 60 minutes last season. Yes, that includes Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid.

You have to look at it as Malkin will be 35 and Crosby will be 34 this year. It takes a while to get their legs under them because of slower adaptability that age with a shortened camp and no preseason. Don't kid yourself, Malkin was just getting going before he was injured. If he was healthy, he would be over a point-per-game by now, but alas, that's the thing.... 71 has been a band-aid boy all through out his career. That's one thing that has remained a constant. So there is the inherent risk. But don't for once think he is one and done. Now I know that's not what was said, but that seems to be the verdict based on his age and on-the-surface stats, which is why context is key. I think if he can return soon, he can churn out a point-per-game over those games. That being said, while he has been skating, his return is still up-in-the-air. So it could be anything from within 7-10 days to the beginning of the playoffs, which usually doesn't benefit anyone if their fantasy season ends when the regular season finishes.

But since this is a keeper league, there is only one I would take Malkin over. And Marty Necas is his name-oh!
    This is spot on; every word!